HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:53 AM
Siv
Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain
Joined Jan 2006
181 Posts
Question
5.8GHz for downlink and groundstation repeater?

I'm using 5.8GHz for my downlink, a 600mW VTx and the IRC Duo with patch and helical on the ground station. I'm thinking of adding a 5.8GHz repeater to the output so that I don't have cables to the fatshark, of course, using another channel.

Is this a bad idea? I'm not flying huge ranges (1.5km) but I'm thinking that a 25mW repeater may be in danger of swamping out the VTx signal when it's far away.

How about using a seriously directional antenna on the repeater to my goggles - my GS location and my flying position are pretty much going to be fixed so if I use a 10 turn helical on the repeater, I can point it straight at my head and have minimal interference to the VRx. Perhaps is I provide some separation between the VRx and the repeater Tx, this would help?
Siv is offline Find More Posts by Siv
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:08 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
its probably not a great idea. buying 2 directional tx and facing them at each other and away from the other rx/plane might mitigate an otherwise bad situation, but I suspect you'd still be introducing a serious haircut to your range.

I would say, if nothing else, you experience unpredictable results flight to flight depending on the ground station layout and what might exist to bounce a signal around.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:24 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,264 Posts
I use a 25mw 5.8 repeater on my setup which is fed from 600mw 5.8 on my quad with no issues
Titus Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:19 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,054 Posts
For that range, you won't have a problem. Just choose channel 1 for your plane and channel 8 for your 25mw repeater. Having the directional and separating your repeater Tx would also help. But really, at 1.5km I wouldn't worry about it.
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations