SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:22 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonedkorl View Post
Please tell us the size bearings to get. I am going to order one and I might as well go ahead and get an extra set.
8x4x3mm. These were most likely from Boca bearing but can't swear to it they were just spares in a bag. The only gotcha that I ran into was feeding the motor wires thru the arm while making sure the heatshrinked part slightly bent into the arm opening and cleared the housing.

Just watched a flight video from it and have to admit not bad. Using the 3DR controller settings file with default motor power slightly reduced on the tilt. I had reduced it to 25 but found the tilt hold a little weak if you get aggressive so went back up to 30 for now. To get this quality of video it was a whole lot easier than any of the other gimbals I have tuned. Of course I didn't tune this one and owe a big thanks to the 3DR people for posting their settings file.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:11 PM
A&P Diddy
Midlothian, Tx
Joined Oct 2008
485 Posts
I don't really understand yet about that file.... where can I get that and can I flash the controller that comes with the tarot gimbal with it?
clonedkorl is online now Find More Posts by clonedkorl
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:10 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
3DR sells the Tarot gimbal to go with their copters. They tweaked the settings and then were good enough to post the settings file. Here is the arducopter page with helpful info and link to file. You must right click link (inside below link) to save the file as a settings file. Basically you check and update firmware to 1.5 if needed. Both controller mcu and motor mcu. Then you load 3DR config file and write settings to controller board. Most recommend to decrease tilt motor power slightly from default to keep tilt from vibrating. Only other thing encountered in this little project was Prolific driver included in Tarot driver folder would not install for me so I went to Prolific site and downloaded their installer which worked fine. The driver is for Tarot pc dongle to communicate with gimbal control board.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/

One other thing. You most likely cannot hold the gimbal steady enough for it to initialize and start the motors. Mount it on copter or just lay it on the table until it initializes then pick it up.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Will it really work on a 2S battery? I have two batteries (2S and 4S) on my copter already, don't want to add a third.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:46 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
sorry first answer was for another post

On the gimbals I have used 2s is too weak 3s is good and 4s works but have to use reduced motor power settings.
Last edited by pug398; Oct 18, 2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:57 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
Repost:

Does anyone know where to buy the cable that connects the board to the computer? I cannot locate mine.

Thanks,

-Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2012
73 Posts
I recently crashed my tarot gimbal. Where can I get new nylon screws and standoffs for the gimbal controller? I also need a new pitch motor. Quick US shipping is also needed.
Rfriedman is online now Find More Posts by Rfriedman
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriedman View Post
I recently crashed my tarot gimbal. Where can I get new nylon screws and standoffs for the gimbal controller? I also need a new pitch motor. Quick US shipping is also needed.

This page at infinity-hobby.com has those motors. I purchased my Tarot from them, and it was in Chicago in 2 days. Then 3 more days to get to my door.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/i...sort=2a&page=3
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
A&P Diddy
Midlothian, Tx
Joined Oct 2008
485 Posts
There are some knock offs on ebay that look identical except that have gold or all black motors. Any experience with these?
clonedkorl is online now Find More Posts by clonedkorl
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
This page at infinity-hobby.com has those motors. I purchased my Tarot from them, and it was in Chicago in 2 days. Then 3 more days to get to my door.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/i...sort=2a&page=3
Luckily a friend had a motor and I replaced it. Sadly it took much more effort than anticipated. The replacement motor shaft was a few mm shorter than the original, so I had to take the motor apart, make a new flat spot for the set screw, and put it back together. I ended up hot gluing the board and used some Pushrods from an old plane to support it.

I've heard some bad things about tarot gimbals wearing out, so I'll be eyeying the dys 3 axis gimbal as a next purchase.
Rfriedman is online now Find More Posts by Rfriedman
Old Today, 05:45 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriedman View Post
Luckily a friend had a motor and I replaced it. Sadly it took much more effort than anticipated. The replacement motor shaft was a few mm shorter than the original, so I had to take the motor apart, make a new flat spot for the set screw, and put it back together. I ended up hot gluing the board and used some Pushrods from an old plane to support it.

I've heard some bad things about tarot gimbals wearing out, so I'll be eyeying the dys 3 axis gimbal as a next purchase.
Well, mine quit working last winter, while it was on the shelf. Only used it a few times. Now it won't stabilize - ever. So, I purchased an FY-G3 3 axis gimbal a month or so ago - cost a few bucks more - but I've already gotten more use from that than I got from the Tarot. I may buy a new controller for the Tarot, and see if I can resurrect it - or - maybe not.

And hey - kudos on your efforts - you are quite the hands on dude.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green