HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:13 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Discussion
Chrome Monokote Creating Shadows in Signal

I have an airplane that I am almost done repairing after a crash (pictures taken a while ago). The pictures just shows everything laid out to depict the complete air frame. I haven't the slightest idea of what kit or manufacturer produced this one but I know that it's got some time on it.. Maybe 15 years or so.

I just want to know what color you think I should cover it in. I want to make it look different since I am not concerned about it being scale to anything..

Does the chrome monokote affect radio signal? I have seen some stuff on both rcgroups, and rcuniverse about signal problems with chrome monokote. (I will be using 2.4 GHZ Spektrum DSMX).

Any information is appreciated

Adam
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:48 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,105 Posts
Yes I believe that the metallized Chrome Monokote coverings would affect the signal going to the receiver. I would suggest using a Spektrum Carbon Fiber Receiver such as the AR6255 and route the antenna wires so they are outside of the fuselage to get the best radio signal.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:56 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,213 Posts
I flew a 4 Star that the fuse was covered in chrome, antenna outside the fuselage on 72 MHz with no problems. Chrome tends to disappear in the sky as it reflects the sky do make sure you use a good contrast my 4 Star had orange tail and wings
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:37 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
978 Posts
As Jetmech says, the Chrome covering is sometimes very hard to see . I've heard different stories about signals so I'll pass on that one.
As far as colors on your plane : I'd go with Red, White & Blue , however you want to do it . I would also suggest a solid color on the bottom and some kind of stripes on top of the wing . Unless you are flying very close ( like 3D ) all the time, the bottom of the wing will always be DARK ( DOOM ) when it's going away from you and the stripes will flash at you ( saying Hi ) I'm coming back when turning back toward yourself. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
881 Posts
I have been flying this for two years on 2.4 with internal anntennas without problems. It is covered in chrome monocote.

Disarray is online now Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:52 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,294 Posts
Chrome and 4 engines to boot! Cool.....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Apr 08, 2013, 03:18 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,135 Posts
Chrome color or looks does not necessarily mean it is true chrome. If it were, you would not get a signal with the antenna surrounded by it. It is just a simple proven physical fact that a metal shield surounding an antenna will completely prevent any signal from getting to it. That is why we use screen rooms when working with equipment that can be effected by extraneous signals. Any metalic surrounding structure that has no gaps larger than 1/4 the wavelength of the signal of interest will completely eliminate all wavelengths greater tha 1/4 the size of the gaps or holes.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:42 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarray View Post
I have been flying this for two years on 2.4 with internal anntennas without problems. It is covered in chrome monocote.

Wow. Sweet machine! Also, I am glad that you haven't had any failures with 2.4 and chrome monokote. Do you have any video footage of that... masterpiece
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:11 PM
United States, ID, Shelley
Joined Dec 2011
445 Posts
Converted one of my dad's control line models to R/C and covered the entire fuse in chrome Monokote. Never had a radio problem with it, just pilot error that ended its' days.
ddemu is offline Find More Posts by ddemu
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:41 AM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 View Post
Wow. Sweet machine! Also, I am glad that you haven't had any failures with 2.4 and chrome monokote. Do you have any video footage of that... masterpiece
4-Motor Senior Telemaster by Tim Pitrowski (3 min 32 sec)
Disarray is online now Find More Posts by Disarray