379 Posts
oops i dont know how to make a poll
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Not me, I had my training gear on. My crashes all come from stupid thins, like feathering shaft slipping off, or my antenna cable getting caught in the main gear, or in my last incident a servo going bad.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot23 View Post
did you crash when learning to hover?
If your not crashing, Your not flying !! Everybody crashes. Especially in their first year. Gets to the point wher you no longer dumb thumb and it seems it only takes place place with an electronic or mechanical failure.

RFDelie. Brian leftwich sucked last night. ....Hail Steelersnation
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Ya he did, I think our biggest liability is Ike Taylor, he is the worst CB ever. Always drawing penalties and dropping interceptions.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
I started the RC helicopter hobby with a CP helicopter. I crashed for the first time about ten months into learning to fly helicopters, after I learned to fly inverted. My first "mechanical failure" crash happened when I picked a wrong model memory to fly my 450pro and I lost a set of blades before the skids left the ground. My second crash (first "pilot error" crash) was shortly after the first crash when I got disoriented after doing multiple loops in a row, that time the helicopter was completely wiped, even the magnets flew out of the motor. No crashes since then.

I don't keep track of how many helicopter flights I have made, but it has to be in the thousands by now.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,782 Posts
I learned to hover with no problem. It’s when I tried aerobatics before I was ready that I started crashing. After going back and learning all the hover basics (nose-in, stationary slow pirouettes in both directions, and backward circuits) I almost never crashed.

I started with a CP helicopter – I really think that is the best way as you don’t have to worry so much about the wind. Learning with fixed pitch teaches you some bad habits that slow down you learning 3D when you go to CP.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
616 Posts
OF Course. First crash was before I learned that the TH switch is your friend and -10 degree pitch for a beginner is WAY, WAY to much. I let it get away from me a little bit and panic set in and I pulled the throttle down and drove it hard to the ground from about 5 ft. Boom strike, main shaft, feather shaft, main blades, flybar, and new skid pipes got it going again. I now fly with a pitch curve of -2, 0, 3, 5, 8 degrees. Works great for me.

Second crash was a dumb thumb and I flew it backwards into the brick garage wall. Garage 1, helicopter Zero, Same damage as the first crash with the addition of new tail feathers.

Those were both with my 450.

Third crash was my EXI 500. I spooled it up and something was not right. I tried to fly anyway and ended up rolling it forward and to the right. I ended up with replacing pretty much the same parts as I did with the 450 crashes. I also ended up completely reprogramming the transmitter for this particular model. Several parameters were not right when I was bringing it back up. This could have been why it crashed in the first place.

I have been flying again since late January of this year after a long hiatus from the hobby.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Guilty - and I'll bet I'm in the running for most crashes while learning.
I bought a coax (which was a waste of money and taught me nothing) then a cheap FP.
Honestly, my first few weeks were about 1 to 3 seconds of flight and a crash. I bought a sim out of sheer frustration and a few weeks later I was finally able to hover an entire battery.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
I actually haven't crashed yet (knock on wood) since I started last february, excluding one accident I had in the dark... that doesn't necessarily count in my book, my rotor disc barely hit a tetherball pole in my backyard trying to hover and trim my heli out in the dark, down it went.

I've been pretty cautious though, and haven't tried anything out of my skill level on my 450, I try to use my mcpx for that. But at first I practiced a lot on sims; keeping the heli from crashing, not matter what orientation I was in.

But I can say that while learning to hover, no I didn't crash ever. Take it slow, use sims, maybe get a micro heli... a helimax fp micro built up my confidence before flying my first 450. But after the sim practice I found out I was ready for the 450 anyway... didn't really need the helimax, and the helimax was actually harder to hover somewhat (maybe because it was a p.o.s.)
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,709 Posts
Furniture!

I've bent a tail shaft by hovering indoors, in too confined a space - being too impatient to wait for daylight or better weather. After that, most of my crashes have come about from dumb thumbs from inverted. Really need to master backwards circuits before trying too much inverted stuff.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
well, I'm not talking about crashing ever again! It's 4 hrs since my post above, and just now I went to maiden my new trex 450 pro out. It spooled up good any everything, it sounded great. Went to lift off and the whole heli pulled to the left side and tipped over, I had no control.
-TH- What?!?!?

Guess what, my ailerons were working opposite... not reversed servos either. I don't know yet, from 1 min of messing with it. But I think that I somehow switched my aileron and pitch physically plugged in. I had an issue come from nowhere with my ailerons in the build, and I thought I fixed it, guess not . My faults for not chedking everything preflight... and, again, it was dark out already, I couldn't even see the swash action, I assumed instead because at one time everything was right! Never again, I'll be patient here on out when it comes to testing.

My poor heli! New blades for sure, the rest not too bad (we'll see), but she was BRAND NEW!

She's resting right now.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:19 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
If your not crashing, Your not flying !! Everybody crashes. Especially in their first year. Gets to the point wher you no longer dumb thumb and it seems it only takes place place with an electronic or mechanical failure.
Exactly..I think the only thing that is going to bring me down to the ground is some kind of failure..Or the sun in my eyes.

But I lost 3 Belt CP's and a BlackHawk 450 to be where I am now.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
well, I'm not talking about crashing ever again! It's 4 hrs since my post above, and just now I went to maiden my new trex 450 pro out. It spooled up good any everything, it sounded great. Went to lift off and the whole heli pulled to the left side and tipped over, I had no control.
-TH- What?!?!?

Guess what, my ailerons were working opposite... not reversed servos either. I don't know yet, from 1 min of messing with it. But I think that I somehow switched my aileron and pitch physically plugged in. I had an issue come from nowhere with my ailerons in the build, and I thought I fixed it, guess not . My faults for not chedking everything preflight... and, again, it was dark out already, I couldn't even see the swash action, I assumed instead because at one time everything was right! Never again, I'll be patient here on out when it comes to testing.

My poor heli! New blades for sure, the rest not too bad (we'll see), but she was BRAND NEW!

She's resting right now.
I once tried to fly my 50 nitro heli with the wrong model memory in the TX, that reversed the aileron servos. Needless to say, it tipped over on spooling up, lesson learned in the school of hard knocks!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Am I the only heli pilot that likes to fly circuits close to the ground. Those blade strikes during a turn can really mess up a 450. Crashes are infrequent but spectacular when they happen for me.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher