SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:02 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Since we're talking about our old rc cars, my favorites as a kid were the tyco fast traxx (with the tank style tracks) and after that smashed that to pieces i got the tyco ricochet (the old version, i saw they released a new version recently). I really liked that one cause the wheels were bigger than the body so if it flipped you could still drive it. My cousin had one too and we would play something we called "sewer wars" where we would try to push the other persons car into the sewer drains, then go climb in there to pull them back out.

I've been into rc stuff for as long as i can remember. As a very small child my father got me a 4wd truck and i was hooked every since. Took a break when i got older, but now i'm back at it
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:37 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
I spent the whold day setting up electronics on my helis, and messing with tracking of one of the 500's blades.

It seems like the dampers are shot in the 500cmt. I spend about an hour trying to get the blades to track but nothing helped. It always ended up about a two inch gap between blades once the head rpm got up to flight speed. It was fine earlier in the week, and all i did was change the blades to the new fg ones that came with the 500tt kit. I hope its not a bad blade problem, one blade flexing more than the other, but thats what it looks like when its in the air. I'll play with that more tomorrow.

The new 500bx held together for its first two flights. I will need some batteries with a higher c rateing to keep up with the scorpion motor. I also need to check that the throttle range is set right. It sounds like its holding back some rpm. I also need to go through the beastX setup again, i was lazy and left it where it was with the other 500. The pitch range is different and there was barley enough negivtive pitch to get it out of inverted and too much positive pitch. I also have to trim some canopy around the swash links.

The 450pro now with beastX also needs a reset of pitch and cyclic. Also the throttle range needs to be set in the ice esc. The head speed is way to tame and the tail will not hold on pitch pumps. I think the governor is setup for a 12t pinion, and i'm still using the 11t.

I've got alot of bench work to do. I made the rookie mistake of pluging a battery into another battery again. Did not kill any cells but did fry the connectors.

I'll also be makeing up a 'Y' connection so i can run my 600 on 12s parallel. The 5000mah 30c is starting to puff so i'm hopeing the parallel setup will be easier on the packs.

Thats my story, and i'm sticking to it...

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I spent the whold day setting up electronics on my helis, and messing with tracking of one of the 500's blades.

It seems like the dampers are shot in the 500cmt. I spend about an hour trying to get the blades to track but nothing helped. It always ended up about a two inch gap between blades once the head rpm got up to flight speed. It was fine earlier in the week, and all i did was change the blades to the new fg ones that came with the 500tt kit. I hope its not a bad blade problem, one blade flexing more than the other, but thats what it looks like when its in the air. I'll play with that more tomorrow.

The new 500bx held together for its first two flights. I will need some batteries with a higher c rateing to keep up with the scorpion motor. I also need to check that the throttle range is set right. It sounds like its holding back some rpm. I also need to go through the beastX setup again, i was lazy and left it where it was with the other 500. The pitch range is different and there was barley enough negivtive pitch to get it out of inverted and too much positive pitch. I also have to trim some canopy around the swash links.

The 450pro now with beastX also needs a reset of pitch and cyclic. Also the throttle range needs to be set in the ice esc. The head speed is way to tame and the tail will not hold on pitch pumps. I think the governor is setup for a 12t pinion, and i'm still using the 11t.

I've got alot of bench work to do. I made the rookie mistake of pluging a battery into another battery again. Did not kill any cells but did fry the connectors.

I'll also be makeing up a 'Y' connection so i can run my 600 on 12s parallel. The 5000mah 30c is starting to puff so i'm hopeing the parallel setup will be easier on the packs.

Thats my story, and i'm sticking to it...

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
I'm sure your tracking issue is the blades. First of all, are they out of track along the whole rotation or only on one side? Meaning do you see a split on the left and right? Or only one side? I had an issue where the blade was literally out of balance by 0.1g and that was enough to throw the tracking and wobble the head around. Those are the Pro 3D blades for EXI helicopters, but i use the CF versions for like $4 more or whatever it is from hobby king. FRP is way to sloppy for me, even on my 450. I don't like how FRP makes the pitch pumps feel slow and delayed with what feels like less power. Thats my opinion and preference. But i would weigh each blade and check. Might be a weight thing. I've only had a very small few of these "cheap" blades give me issues like this. In one case the blades flew fine on one helicopter but not the other. So your story sounds familiar to me.

About Y connections. I've been thinking about making a SERIES Y connector for my X5. I'm thinking i can run two 2200 mAh 3S packs in series to get the same as 6S. But the difference is the packs will cost HALF as much for two 3S 2.2 Ah packs as it does for one 6S 4.0 Ah pack.

Anyone have any warnings on this? I know they do this for 12S, so i don't see how it could be a problem?
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:49 PM
Registered User
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
About Y connections. I've been thinking about making a SERIES Y connector for my X5. I'm thinking i can run two 2200 mAh 3S packs in series to get the same as 6S. But the difference is the packs will cost HALF as much for two 3S 2.2 Ah packs as it does for one 6S 4.0 Ah pack.

Anyone have any warnings on this? I know they do this for 12S, so i don't see how it could be a problem?
2x 2200mah 3s packs in series makes 1 6s 2200mah. So you would need 2 3s 4000mah packs to make one 6s 4000mah pack.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:25 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
2x 2200mah 3s packs in series makes 1 6s 2200mah. So you would need 2 3s 4000mah packs to make one 6s 4000mah pack.
Duh, stupid me. Para doubles mAh. I was thinking series did because amperage goes up with voltage usually. But amperage and capacity are two different things. I was thinking of it backwards, or something. I don't know why i didn't realize that right away. Thanks. So it's not going to be any cheaper. Just more dangerous and probably heavier and more bulky. I figured there MUST be a reason why no one else had figured this out. I really thought i was on to something there for a second.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
I have not tried to fix the tracking problem yet, i droped a post on the 500gt thread to see if anyone over there has seen this type of problen before. Im wishing it would be the dampers, but the only thing i changed was the blades before the problem showed up. I would hate to have to throw away a new set of blades. Yeah they are the cheap fg ones that come with the hk kits, but its still a new set of blades. I could never have too many spare blade sets...

I took the 450pro out for more testing today. I made some adjustments to the gov setting, now getting 3100rpm in IU2, and found that the grub screw in the tail blade grips was loose. That was why the tail would not lock for those first few flights. I also did a complete re-setup of the beastX. The first flight was going great. It was 10-15 constant wind so i did not get to wild. But after two piros, and going for a third in the other direction, i lost all tail control and it was going into the 'spin of doom'. If this had happend to me a year ago, i would have not been able to save it, but today i made myself proud of my emergency landing skills. It was about 15 to 20 feet up, and when it started its out of control spin I hit the throttle hold right away and was able to bring it down safely on its skids. Did not even strip a tt gear. I was able to load up that grub screw with loc tite, and it was flying again right away.

I'm happy the 450pro is getting back in the game. Its feeling really solid with the extra weight and the beastx. At one point i was thinking of getting away from the 450 size but today got me interested again.

I also did a complete reset of the 500bx, but time ran out on my lunch break. Maybe tomorrow...
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I have not tried to fix the tracking problem yet, i droped a post on the 500gt thread to see if anyone over there has seen this type of problen before. Im wishing it would be the dampers, but the only thing i changed was the blades before the problem showed up. I would hate to have to throw away a new set of blades. Yeah they are the cheap fg ones that come with the hk kits, but its still a new set of blades. I could never have too many spare blade sets...

I took the 450pro out for more testing today. I made some adjustments to the gov setting, now getting 3100rpm in IU2, and found that the grub screw in the tail blade grips was loose. That was why the tail would not lock for those first few flights. I also did a complete re-setup of the beastX. The first flight was going great. It was 10-15 constant wind so i did not get to wild. But after two piros, and going for a third in the other direction, i lost all tail control and it was going into the 'spin of doom'. If this had happend to me a year ago, i would have not been able to save it, but today i made myself proud of my emergency landing skills. It was about 15 to 20 feet up, and when it started its out of control spin I hit the throttle hold right away and was able to bring it down safely on its skids. Did not even strip a tt gear. I was able to load up that grub screw with loc tite, and it was flying again right away.

I'm happy the 450pro is getting back in the game. Its feeling really solid with the extra weight and the beastx. At one point i was thinking of getting away from the 450 size but today got me interested again.

I also did a complete reset of the 500bx, but time ran out on my lunch break. Maybe tomorrow...
Great going kdean!!

I love my 450 PRO when I get a chance to fly it. I've crashed it twice, once servo fault and once pilot error - I zigged when I should have zagged. I finally have rebuilt it and waiting on good flying weather. I ordered a set of Hitech 5065MG and programmer. That should be an interesting project. My 3GX flys great but then I don't demand much out of it. I'm thinking about maybe buying a beastx so I can give it a try. I might decide to replace the ZYX in the 600 but not really having any problems with any of them - just curious about the beastx.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
I have not had the opertunity to fly any other fbl units other than the walkera V rx's and the beastX so i cant compare with the 3gx or zyx, or any other fbl units. But i can say that walkera V's are better than a flybar (more stable and consistant in wind, not with piro's), and beastX is better than both walkerV or flybar. My flying skills (or lack there of) have not yet streached the limits of the beastx but they do max out the walkera v's. I cant wait to put a beastX in my 600, but want to get its tt tail section first. I made up the 'Y' harnes for 12s/p last night, so the next time i fly the 600 will be with the 12s setup. Once i build up my 6s 3000 40c collection, i'll then work on converting it to 12s series. But thats another $200 worth of stuff i'll have to buy.

Things were so simple when i only had a V400 or three....
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I have not had the opertunity to fly any other fbl units other than the walkera V rx's and the beastX so i cant compare with the 3gx or zyx, or any other fbl units. But i can say that walkera V's are better than a flybar (more stable and consistant in wind, not with piro's), and beastX is better than both walkerV or flybar. My flying skills (or lack there of) have not yet streached the limits of the beastx but they do max out the walkera v's. I cant wait to put a beastX in my 600, but want to get its tt tail section first. I made up the 'Y' harnes for 12s/p last night, so the next time i fly the 600 will be with the 12s setup. Once i build up my 6s 3000 40c collection, i'll then work on converting it to 12s series. But thats another $200 worth of stuff i'll have to buy.

Things were so simple when i only had a V400 or three....
And my V400 really flys great with stock equipment. It's really amazing.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Kdean, the 450 tail fin were bought at Hobbyking, in the align/heli parts upgrade section, they'r 7$ or 10$ I think, a little expensive for a 450 however.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
That's pretty sweet you get to fly year round there kdean! It's been getting dark before 5 here, that combo'ed with the rain and snow keeps me pretty grounded. I only have one of my 450's in flying condition after the trip (the 450pro with the 2702) but it's not getting any action cause of the lighting and weather. I'm heading back to the states for xmas and thinking of taking the minicp with to play with, i'll see how much room i have in the suitcase for that one though.

So what are everybodies xmas plans here? Anyone getting a new heli??
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
I flew my first rc plane today, i also crashed my first rc plane today. Same flight. I was helping one of the guys set up his gasser 30 sized helis, later while he was flying his little electric cub he asked if i wanted to 'get a feel'. I told him it was to windy but he insisted, and i could not say no. it was going good for a while, the wind was pushing it around but i was able to keep it level. Then i got cockey and tried to bank turn it, bank and yank. The wind pushed it into a nose down death spin and i could not recover. The damage was not that bad, and they say it could be fixed easily. I convinced him that i would buy the plane if he fixed it. He would not let me buy from him, so he is going to fix it and give it to me. Thats my xmas present for the year. Im now thinking if i should put a walkeraV rx (2614) in it or just use the extra 2801pro???

This will be a fun ride....
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I flew my first rc plane today, i also crashed my first rc plane today. Same flight. I was helping one of the guys set up his gasser 30 sized helis, later while he was flying his little electric cub he asked if i wanted to 'get a feel'. I told him it was to windy but he insisted, and i could not say no. it was going good for a while, the wind was pushing it around but i was able to keep it level. Then i got cockey and tried to bank turn it, bank and yank. The wind pushed it into a nose down death spin and i could not recover. The damage was not that bad, and they say it could be fixed easily. I convinced him that i would buy the plane if he fixed it. He would not let me buy from him, so he is going to fix it and give it to me. Thats my xmas present for the year. Im now thinking if i should put a walkeraV rx (2614) in it or just use the extra 2801pro???

This will be a fun ride....
haha, sweet! Sounds like a nice xmas gift. Hopefully you're second flight will turn out a little better, try to get it on vid
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I flew my first rc plane today, i also crashed my first rc plane today. Same flight. I was helping one of the guys set up his gasser 30 sized helis, later while he was flying his little electric cub he asked if i wanted to 'get a feel'. I told him it was to windy but he insisted, and i could not say no. it was going good for a while, the wind was pushing it around but i was able to keep it level. Then i got cockey and tried to bank turn it, bank and yank. The wind pushed it into a nose down death spin and i could not recover. The damage was not that bad, and they say it could be fixed easily. I convinced him that i would buy the plane if he fixed it. He would not let me buy from him, so he is going to fix it and give it to me. Thats my xmas present for the year. Im now thinking if i should put a walkeraV rx (2614) in it or just use the extra 2801pro???

This will be a fun ride....

These guys were flying near where i fly my helis. I can tell that it won't be long before i build one. Theirs don't have rudder controls, just 2 flaps in the back. Works pretty good. Nice and simple and they SCREAM. lol. Real cheap. They build them out of construction foam sheets.

i call them "Foam Screamers". (4 min 12 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:05 AM
Frogfish
Madog71's Avatar
Malaysia, Melaka
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
F03407 3gx

Quote:
I'm thinking about maybe buying a beastx so I can give it a try. I might decide to replace the ZYX in the 600 but not really having any problems with any of them - just curious about the beastx.
You should give a try to this F03407 (BeastX clone): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...700702607.html you wont be desapointed + price is sweet...

PS: My advice: Avoid free shipping option with lousy China post unless you ready to wait for 90 days (new aliexpress policy)
Madog71 is offline Find More Posts by Madog71
Last edited by Madog71; Dec 12, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Data Help for new pilots and beyond cantyman Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 4 Oct 24, 2012 12:47 PM
Discussion First time builder's supply guide for Scratch-Building: Beyond the Basics Disco Stew Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 1 Oct 13, 2012 03:56 PM
Question Esky A300 or Walk Lama EC135 or Walk 53QD ? PCaola Coaxial Helicopters 8 May 17, 2012 11:03 PM
Discussion Actro 24-3 vs X-Era 4025-667 2.5Y (X-Era superior in all respects) blueviewlaguna Large Electric Helis 51 Feb 27, 2009 01:28 PM
Cool Walk the walk Don Sims Humor 3 May 10, 2004 01:17 AM