Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
@turbodriven

Nice job.....I'd like to see some more info on how you did the detachable tail.
See attached drawing. It doesn't photograph well since everything is buried in the tail. My V2 had a hole in the fuse already for this so I assumed someone planned for this mod from the beginning. Vertical is glued in place and the horizontal slides out the back when the bolt is removed.

Quote:
Pretty nice setup, interesting location for the RX, but considering how you have your electronics it looks like it would provide good balance, though also a lot of wires to run a ways but it looks good . I do like the detachable pan/tilt idea, I am thinking of the same thing as it is a pain to pull out a plug from an RX that is FULL :P.
I was trying to get the RX as far away from everything else as I could without having to put stuff in the wings. After everything else was said and done the only place left was the nose.

I'm still thinking about making the detachable pod into one plug instead of four. Either by gluing them all together or resoldering them into some kind of solid plug that can accommodate all 12 wires.

Quote:
Is the battery mounted permanently? It looks like you have to split the fuse to get it out. This may not be an issue as I can get 55 minutes out of my 3000mAh battery pack, though that's set up for LOS flying only... light and not trying to get anywhere very fast. So... you just charge it in place?
No if fits in and out (just barely mind you). All my electronics are on the left side of the fuse, so the battery actually sits vertical and velcros to the right fuse wall. I originally installed it flat on the bottom like you see but found that my left wing was heavy that way. With it up on the right wall it balances better left to right (less aileron trim needed hopefully).
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Last edited by turbodriven; Apr 20, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
How is that landing gear working out for you? Do you feel the drag?
Actually I think it helps a lot with stabilization as it makes the plane level out pretty well. I have noticed no ill effect with exception of slightly higher stall speed, and slightly slower WOT, however I don't often push it higher then 3/4 throttle so :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:11 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,849 Posts
Nice .. where did you buy the LG?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Here are my original blog entries on it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577756
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578302
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
That's a good looking plane. Hope it stays that way. Most don't.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
That's a good looking plane. Hope it stays that way. Most don't.
Max

If you remove the number of your crashes from the total the the percentage of crashes to owner drops from 60% to 5%.

Just kidding. I know you have had some bad luck with your planes. But at least you can say you have fun pushing the envelope as opposed to those that just do a tip stall.

Hope all are doing ok. Except maybe the one with the green soda bottle nose.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Funny Vince!!! They are all good and still flying. I have 2 more SS ready to build as the blue plane has just about had it. The bottle nose made that plane very fast with a 3000kv motor on it. I crashed it twice last week but still haven't figured out why. When I went to do a left turn, it just wanted to spin out and into a nose dive. Structurally it can still fly but it's getting pretty weak. On my other planes I have incorportated a 2 liter Seagrams bottle for added protection from the nose all the way back to behind the cockpit. The cockpit remains open for easy access for battery swaps. The FPV SS plane is rebuilt and am waiting for new cameras to come in. I also picked up a 1900mm Skywalker but have not started building that one yet.

What's new on your end? Are you getting out and flying much??
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Bah, this 1 watt booster walking all over my 1.3 video SUCKS, I couldn't even get out more then 200 meters today without my video getting all messed up... I think the reason most don't see this issue is because they use a directional patch antenna... but at either rate there MUST be something, maybe a low pass filter on the vRX?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
New Pilot

Vince, I enlisted the help of a new pilot for my fast plane. He flies exactly like I do!!! Full throttle and all out aerobatics!!! I'll try to get this bird on video. The flex in these wings at full speed in a loop is unbelievable. Plane has a Himax 3000kv motor, 35a esc and 6x4 prop.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
SkySurfer just arrived from ToySonics.com and its V4 ... grab it for $49 until they out of stock!
No, it's not the V4 - what I received is J-Power V2.
flybabo is offline Find More Posts by flybabo
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybabo View Post
Same here. Just got mine a week or so ago from them. V2 for sure (or V3?). But no wing bolts like a V4 should have.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Vince, I enlisted the help of a new pilot for my fast plane. He flies exactly like I do!!! Full throttle and all out aerobatics!!! I'll try to get this bird on video. The flex in these wings at full speed in a loop is unbelievable. Plane has a Himax 3000kv motor, 35a esc and 6x4 prop.
Better be careful using one of those angry birds to fly your plane. They have a tendency to want to smash through things to get to the pigs.

I have not flown as much as I could have. I did a short flight Tuesday with my SS at a new field about 45 min from my house. It was very windy that day and every time I went higher than the tree line my plane nosed up and went left with the wind. I almost took out a boundry fence but missed it and landed without any damage.

The rest of my RC time has been building my ZII. Waiting on some weight to get the CG correct. Also working with another RC flyer on a bungee launcher. Hopefully will maiden it within a week or so.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybabo View Post
That is the version I have. The J-Power electronics are pretty reliable. You should have fun flying it.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I just made a new personal record :P About 1.43km out, I will know for sure once video is done processing. This time I put my vRX on the other side of my car then the side I was on with the TX :P Worked out OK but once I got out about 1.2Km it really started to show itself... I think I need to go with a patch antenna or something to make it directional.

I also had to make an emergency landing, my motor would not respond for some reason and I had to land in a field about 200 meters out... the walk through the marshy like field was not fun! (We just got 12 inches of rain in the last 6 weeks) But luckily my landing spot was nice tall grass, and about 2 feet from a barbed wire fence! Interestingly enough I had fantastic video even on the ground 200 meters out! Interestingly enough though the motor was working fine when I got to the plane.

Video coming soon
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
Either the motor / esc was too hot and stopped. Or the esc cut the motor due to low voltage ...
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a