Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pitstop000; Jan 12, 2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,105 Posts
I have been seriously considering getting one. Hopefully they will still have some when I am ready to get one. I still have a box full of old Rohm Air retracts left over from the good old days, I am sure I can get a set working again. Anyway, I was going to run a Fox Hawk .60 or a Fox Eagle II or Eagle III .60 engine in it.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:59 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
There has been one of these at the most popular LHS since the first week HH started delivering them. Unfortunately it's still there collecting dust. I have consciously stopped myself from buying it, leaving it for someone else. I'm hoping to deepen the pool of classic pattern flying in the Phx east valley area, which right now is pretty shallow. It makes going to the hobby shop stressful. I hope it's gone but it's always there. Then I have to argue with myself not to buy it.
Eric
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
I keep wanting to buy one too, but I also realize it's just never going to be practical. Sucks, because I know they'll probably discontinue it sooner than I'd like, then I know I'll regret not buying one when they were available. I already have a Kwik Fli, King Kobra, and Tiporare, and I haven't flown them in a couple years, instead migrating almost exclusively toward electric. (It's tough justifying a day flying 30 minutes away with a 1 year old!) I wish HH/Parkzone would offer a Z-foam electric ~65% version with retracts; that would be the perfect way to relive classic pattern at the local park.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:18 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
There has been one of these at the most popular LHS since the first week HH started delivering them. Unfortunately it's still there collecting dust. I have consciously stopped myself from buying it, leaving it for someone else. I'm hoping to deepen the pool of classic pattern flying in the Phx east valley area, which right now is pretty shallow. It makes going to the hobby shop stressful. I hope it's gone but it's always there. Then I have to argue with myself not to buy it.
Eric

Eric, Go Buy It!
Get it in the air at your local field. That will Help deepen the pool of Classic Pattern more than anything else.
Planes in boxes do nothing, Ballistic Pattern ships screaming across the sky, Now that gets everyone’s Attention! That’s what’s needed IMO.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JRs Flagship Radio!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:50 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
583 Posts
Paul, agreed on the ballistic pattern ships. I don't fly pattern (yet) but I have a deep desire to do a 120+ mph horizon to horizon roll.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:54 PM
Arizona
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
Eric
Eric, where in the east valley do you fly. I just started surfing RC Groups and noticed the classic pattern forum. Myself and a couple of pattern flyers have started flying at the AMA field on Sun afternoons. Feel free to join us. I used to fly classic pattern back in the late 80's in Tx with a Tipo, Atlanta and Escape. I still love those planes.
patternhead
patternhead is offline Find More Posts by patternhead
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:18 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
I fly at East Valley Aviators out on Ironwood Rd. I belonged to AMA (Arizona Model Aviators) off and on since they were at Spook Hill years ago. Don't think I'll be flying the Tipo in the dirt out at EVA so I'll most likely return to AMA soon. There is no one flying classic pattern at EVA, just a ton of IMAC guys. Really crowded this time of year.

I'd love to come out and learn something. Do you guys fly 2 meter or classic?
Eric
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:03 PM
Arizona
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Eric,

I've been out to observe at EVA and did see a ton of IMAC flyers. It's amazing how many used to be real pattern flyers before going to the dark side. The dirt runway did not excite me so I joined AMA. It's a busy place too, especially during the gray migration months but usually after they depart for home I have the place to myself late in the afternoon except for a few stragglers. I would like to get some pattern interest going weather new style or old style on our end of town. Maybe we're off to a good start this year.
Join us when you can.

Mike
patternhead is offline Find More Posts by patternhead
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
Thanks I'll do that. I have gone out to AMA every now and then and done the Pay-For-Play bucket. What's it up to now, like 8 bucks? If the weather clears up this Sunday eve I may try.

There are a few guys interested in getting classic pattern moving fwd on the west coast.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367771

If you know of any AZ flyers that would be interested pass it on.
Eric
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:54 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,108 Posts
Hey Guys, this might be a good time to pick up a new P-7 or a second one.

I was at HH site today and it looks like their running a special on the P-7s.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...60-arf-HAN4755

Its listed for only $249.99, thats better than the GP DB!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
486 Posts
Paul,
I noticed they had them reduced a few days ago so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Today there was a big box waiting for me on the porch. (God I love it when that happens!) After dinner I was able to go to the shop and unbox my new... Dirty Birdy!

I couldn't resist, I've always liked them. I changed my mind when I was checking-out at HH.com (the 'free' shipping with $22 oversize chg pissed me off). Omni Models had 20 bucks off and free shipping so for $279 I got the DB instead. Looks good so far. I'll dig deeper tomorrow am.
Eric
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:44 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,108 Posts
Eric, I'm paying $250 to my door from HH.
I have a Free shipping source from them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:59 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
My buddy has one with the EVO 60 in it..... small case nice footprint easy setup. Undecided on the EVO,..... our results have been average. TonyF has his dialed on but it does take some head shim, pipe length, plug and setup to get it dialed in. Last I heard was the header needs to be 1" longer than out of the box. Rossi R8 for plug, max lean on the low end and 1 additional head shim.... Oh and throw away the electric retracts.
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:43 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
779 Posts
Mine is powered with a Magnum .61XLS with a Macs 10cc Quiet pipe. It turns an 11/7 APC at 14,200 burning 15% Cool Power fuel. Spring-air retracts. Futaba 7C radio. Mine first flew with the fixed gear as the retracts were on back order. It was a simple retrofit. For anyone contemplating building as a fixed gear airplane I can tell you it flies just great with the gear down. Just not as cool IMHO. Mine weighs in a bit over eight pounds.

I have 12 hours of flight time accumulated including several contests, and it just keeps getting better. It is an amazing bargain, for $300 (or less on sale) you get "instant pattern plane". And when it reaches "expiration date", a new one will come on the big brown truck.

-Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II