Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,889 Posts
Discussion
Document laminating film

Many people who are building vintage or open frame scale models of the lighter type have discovered that document laminating film - doculam - offers a highly suitable covering material, light and very easy to use. OK, so it is clear, but can be either used under tissue, as I usually do, spray painted as I did on my Sopwith Triplane, or coloured using specially available inks to produce a translucent covering as other people have done. Whilst considerably cheaper per square foot than most model aircraft covering films a drawback is that it is normally only available in quite large rolls, requiring a high initial outlay.

Having used the last of my limited supply of film on two recent builds, the "Airknocker" and KK "Bandit" I bit the bullet and have just taken delivery of a 150 metre x 305 mm roll of 38 micron semi-matt doculam. Now at the age of 74 I am under no illusions that I am going to build enough models to use all of this, so I would be happy to offer some - in say 5 or 10 metre lots - to anyone who wants to try the stuff. Cost would be something like 75 pence (sterling) or 1 euro per metre plus postage (being light and thin postage) should not be excessive. This is mainly aimed at people in the UK or the euro currency zone as currency transfer might be tricky outside these areas, but we could discuss it. Anyone interested please PM me in the first instance.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by sprocket42
Ireland, Wexford
Joined Aug 2010
67 Posts
Doculam

PM sent, I think
sprocket42 is online now Find More Posts by sprocket42
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,136 Posts
Ooooh! Me! Me! Pick me!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 27, 2015, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
513 Posts
I'm only 73 years old and started using EZ Lamin (they are all pretty much the same thing) in the mid 70s (wow, that's forty years ago?).

I just started on my third 20" x 200' roll. I'm planning on ordering my fourth before I quit.

P.S. I'm looking forward to adhering some tissue trim over my next sailplane using Future Floor Finish. But how do you get storage/shipping wrinkles out? Ironing doesn't seem to work well. Do you apply the tissue wet?
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr View Post
I'm only 73 years old and started using EZ Lamin (they are all pretty much the same thing) in the mid 70s (wow, that's forty years ago?).

I just started on my third 20" x 200' roll. I'm planning on ordering my fourth before I quit.

P.S. I'm looking forward to adhering some tissue trim over my next sailplane using Future Floor Finish. But how do you get storage/shipping wrinkles out? Ironing doesn't seem to work well. Do you apply the tissue wet?
Yes Raymond, I do apply it wet. But you can iron tissue successfully by pressing it with a steam iron.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer