New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2014, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by scigs30
Joined May 2005
837 Posts
Build Log
Guillows Lancer Build

I am building the Guillows Lancer for the 2014 Guillows challenge. It is built per the plans with minor modifications. 1. Removable nose block. 2. Made the landing gear wire longer and used thread to attach to the fuselage. The new kits are coming with the grey and white tissue, don't know why this makes for an ugly build. I have a older Lancer kit and used the yellow and blue from that kit. Also I don't like the side plastic cowlings so I won't be using those. The plans show a different color scheme for a built gas powered Lancer and that is what I went with. Except I had to extend the blue tissue on the wing tips because the second rib would not be suitable for anchoring tissue. All built she weighs 26 grams.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2014, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by scigs30
Joined May 2005
837 Posts
Here she is finished in Old Guillows Tissue. Applied with thinned white glue and finished with 2 coats of Nitrate Dope. The wood quality was ok, little die crunched but lite enough for freeflight. Built in couple of days using white glue and Testors Cement. This is the second Lancer I have built, the first when I was 9 and did not know what I was doing. Back then I built the plane with Testors wood glue and the fuselage came out looking like a banana. I attached the tissue with colored Aerogloss dope and it came out ugly. I tried to fly the plane and the landing gear broke off and I crushed the wing trying to attach with rubber band, this time I glued the wing on.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by aeronca52
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,510 Posts
Waiting for the flight video.........
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by MiZer1981
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Jun 2014
284 Posts
Nice!

Brings back many a fond memory of my childhood
MiZer1981 is online now Find More Posts by MiZer1981
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by ccarley
Joined Dec 2005
5 Posts
I will be putting one of these together with my daughter soon
ccarley is offline Find More Posts by ccarley
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by larryg
Joined Jan 2007
606 Posts
i just bought a Javelin kit today, same wing and span as the Lancer, just wondering if a little bigger prop than whats comes in the kit is better ? just looks small at 6 inches lol , your Lancer looks beautiful
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old Jul 03, 2014, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by aeronca52
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg View Post
i just bought a Javelin kit today, same wing and span as the Lancer, just wondering if a little bigger prop than whats comes in the kit is better ? just looks small at 6 inches lol , your Lancer looks beautiful
Larry,
You most likely already know this, but I was always taught that the prop diameter should be 1/3 the wing span. So your 24" wing should use an 8" prop for good results.

Here's some thoughts...http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index....ex&cPath=70_71
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52