HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2002, 09:22 AM
Torrington, CT. 06790, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2002
267 Posts
Rave
ParkHawk Eyes

ParkHawk Eyes:

I try to put some make-up on my PH by putting 2 plastic eyes. What do you guys think of it? My wife bought a plastic Owl (from Wal-Mart) for her garden in the backyard. I took those pair of eyes form the plastic Owl and glued them on my PH. And Iím using a black marker to draw over a new set of eyes on her plastic Owl. My wife doesnít know whatís going on yet. Sheíll find out soon. An alternative way to make a pair of eyes for your PH is to buy a light clear brown button for making dresses at Wal-Mart and use black paint to draw a black round dot on it. Before you do all that make sure you donít add too much weight to the front of your PH. It may shift your CG a little bit. Before you do anything to your PH, try to get some advise from Jeffrey Goodman and Jerry Rose. Those 2 gentlemen are PH experts.
Minh Nguyen is offline Find More Posts by Minh Nguyen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2002, 09:25 AM
Joined Feb 2002
267 Posts
ParkHawk Eyes

ParkHawk Eyes
Old Dec 05, 2002, 09:33 AM
Joined Feb 2002
267 Posts
ParkHawk Eyes

ParkHawk Eyes

My PH has no tail yet. Sometime this week I will receive the rest of my PH tail components and hardware. Then my PH is ready to fly.
Old Dec 05, 2002, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2002
267 Posts
ParkHawk Eyes

ParkHawk Eyes
Old Dec 05, 2002, 12:05 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,865 Posts
Minh, my purple bird also has eyes, I split a one inch rubber ball and slipped it over the nose in case it hits someone. As is, it could seriously hurt someone if it flew into them (don't ask me how I know). I fly at a large sports arena/convention center and don't like to take any chances when I fly inside. Painted the ball red (with Marker)for a funny nose. I also found a little red tame/beret about 2 inches round and put the red cap on the birds head pulled to one side. The big white eyes with black pupils bouncing at each beat of the wings looks great and the nose and tame change the overall look quite a bit. Keep the faith, you'll be up and flying in no time. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Dec 05, 2002, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2002
267 Posts
Ed,

I like your ideas and I will take your advise.

Thanks,

Minh
Old Dec 05, 2002, 12:25 PM
Apopka, Florida, USA
Joined Nov 2002
343 Posts
RE: PH eyes, missing tail parts

Hi Minh,

Nice eyes! Another source for realistic eyes is a taxidermy shop. I remember seeing some eyes back in the 80's for ducks and other birds. They look totally real and should fit right on the PH.

Incidentally, I have a set of red LED's that I am going to put in the eyes of my Slow Hawk. Glowing red eyes! That should be interesting.

As for the missing tail parts I want to apologize for the inconvenience it caused you. Hopefully Jeff took care of you on that. Incidentally, I have now completely re-designed the tail system to eliminate all of those pesky little parts so the likelihood of missing parts is now greatly reduced, as will be the need for all of those instructional photos. The function of the tail is the same so what you have is fine as long as you got all the parts and assembly help you needed.

Sean
Sean Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Sean Kinkade
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 05, 2002, 04:19 PM
I'm Me Again!
Joined Feb 2002
434 Posts
Re: RE: PH eyes, missing tail parts

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Kinkade
Incidentally, I have a set of red LED's that I am going to put in the eyes of my Slow Hawk. Glowing red eyes! That should be interesting.
When you get the Red Eyed Beastie flying, post it's picture!

Jeffrey had suggested the taxidermist eyes to me several months ago, but I haven't found a local shop. So I settled for polymer clay. After seeing what the good ones look like, I can see that I must renew my search and get better eyes!! Of course, when Sean comes out with the full body and head option, that will make all of this mute.

Very nice Minh.
Jerry Rose is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Rose
Old Dec 05, 2002, 05:25 PM
PARIS
Joined Oct 2002
818 Posts
GLASS BIRD EYES

Hi,
Sean is right, you can find beautiful eyes of birds at Van Of Dyke

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01423027/

Robert Korobelnik

KOROBELNIK is offline Find More Posts by KOROBELNIK
Old Dec 06, 2002, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,865 Posts
OK gents, here is picture of the front end of my bird. A little Clownish I know but thats what I was looking for, kids get a kick out of it and flights haven't changed much. The give in the rubber nose also helps as I haven't banged the fuselage in quite a number of spills. When flying off of the hockey rink I have a tendency to overshoot into sideboards but no problems other than pride which ain't worth that much. The eyes dance as she flies merrily on its way. ed
Old Dec 06, 2002, 02:45 PM
I'm Me Again!
Joined Feb 2002
434 Posts
Red Nosed ParkHawk

Very original look. Did you name your bird "Rudolph"?
Jerry Rose is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Rose
Old Dec 06, 2002, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,865 Posts
Lets call it creative license. Along time ago I learned to laugh at myself and some of the dum stunts I've pulled in modeling. Wait until I get my hands on a Canary, Sylvester stand back, Tweedy birds unite! Happy Holidays to all. ed
Old Dec 06, 2002, 04:11 PM
Apopka, Florida, USA
Joined Nov 2002
343 Posts
Heckal and Jeckal?

Hey Ed,
Don't get too clownish now, or I may have to come revoke your creative license! Just kidding....it looks like you are having fun.
I'm gonna have to get Tweety in production just for you.

By the way Ed, I noticed you are from Ft. Worth. I spent my younger days there. Born in Ardmore, Oklahoma in 1962, I lived in White Settlement briefly, and then in Ft. Worth from 62'-68' in a little house on El Campo street.
That was the era of super slides and slot car shops. I remember a geodesic dome building called "Casa Minana"where we used to go see plays and my favorite store for toys was a department store called Leonard's which we got to take a subway to at the time. (Leonard is now one of my cat's names.) I wonder if any of those things are still there. That was over 35 years ago.

My dad was an engineer at General Dynamics. I think it was the fly overs by all those Bell 47- G helicopters from nearby Bell that sparked my interest in things that fly. I vividly remember hearing sonic booms on a regular basis back then too so I spent a lot of time looking up to the sky at aircraft. Ft. Worth was an interesting place for a little kid in the 60's. I'm sure it's completely different now. For example, now they have red-nosed mechanical birds in french berets flying off of ice there. Hopefully there are some little Texan kids there getting some inspiration from my ornithopters.

I grew up in Denton, Texas and then lived briefly in Greenville, Texas so for my first 14 years of life I was a Texan. The seeds were sown for my quest for the R/C ornithopter in the summer of '69 in a trailer park outside of Denton. That's where it all began. I had plenty of room and freedom out there to fly rubber powered ornithopters and U-control Cox powered airplanes. The trailer park owners were well- off ranchers who had a son who actually flew an R/C sailplane which was a rarity in 1969. I remember my dad pointing it out to me high in the sky on occasions. It looked like a real plane to me but my dad said it was a model. I was fascinated by it and became determined to make an ornithopter that could fly like that.

I didn't mean to make this an autobiography but I thought you might be interested.

Sean
Sean Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Sean Kinkade
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2002, 10:07 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,865 Posts
Hell Sean you are one of the boys, I graduated from Keller (between Denton and Ft Worth on Hwy 377) back in 1965 and entered service in May of 69. I'm a lifelong Texan, Life's just to short not to be. Also, I've over 21 years with Lockheed Martin (General Dynamics until bought out in early nineties). Was with Vought from 66 til 69 and then again from 73 to about 77 or so once I returned to civilian life from the Navy (went into the hobby business for several years but decided I'd rather work for someone other than self, liked the weekly paychecks).

Swing through White Settlement every morning to get to main plant where I'm presently working on F-22 Raptor (worked F-8, A-7, A-4, F4-B/Js, F-111, F-16, C-130J and now F22 in career). Casa is still there, Leonards and the subway are gone but the old farm store is still there. Slots are still around I hear, been years since I've seen any. Much has changed but the flying just gets better and I get a little older each day but having to much fun to quit. Will be in convention center tomorrow with the bird and try to get some pictures of the ice takeoffs if I can. See ya! ed