HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:36 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDotCom View Post
Nice to meet you neighbor! Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I have been big into Hi-Fi in the past couple of years (now that my kids are out of diapers and i can kinda afford it). So i may be able to sell off some of my stereo gear to segue into RC if i get get into it. Thanks for the recommendations on those minis. That sounds like the best way to get started.

You mentioned the bind and fly units... now many controllers do you own to control your 11 flyers? do you have one awesome one to rule them all?

How is the used market around Chicagoland? I found in my time on audiokarma.org buying and trading that you could get a long way buying older used gear and beefing it up to get started. Does that strategy apply in this hobby too? I fear it may not because of the fast advances in technology. Are the For Sale forums here pretty hassel-free?

As far as clubs in the area go, I have been in contact with the President of the Skyknights Aeromodeling Team (MrFliboy on here) out of Round Lake and i also have my eyes on the Blue Max R/C Flying Club which flys out of Buffalo Grove (and they have a golf dome that fly at in the winter!)

I used the Places tool here on RCGroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/places/ to find them.
IMO I will say the NanoQX and Alias are great first quads due to them being really stable. I really like the Nano. The Alias is a bit costly for someone 'testing the waters'. As I said there are others that are less expensive. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any as I haven't flown them, but hear great things on this site.

I have a few radios (controllers, transmitters - you'll hear people use these terms) because I started with rtf so they came with radios. But today I only use 2. A Spektrum DX8 which is bound to everything except the Alias which only comes rtf with its own radio. I try to only buy that in which I can use the DX8. I started with a DX6i. A lot of people say you can start with DX5, but I learned the hard way the DX5 just didn't have enough model memory and options. So I should've bought the DX8 and been done with it. I don't see at this point I'll need, but I sure do want the DX18. That being said, if you're going to invest in anything in this hobby think ahead. Also, there are many different brands out there. I happened to start with Spektrum and stuck with it.

Used market I haven't looked at other than this site and I didn't find what I was looking for (Extreme Flight planes) local. But it's funny you ask that, I was planning to search this site again today. I haven't personally tried to buy used but I see a lot of people doing so here.

I know MrFliboy. I met him at their field and chat with him sometime at the White Pines golf dome. I'm waiting for it to warm some before I go back out there. At the time I was considering joining their club because they are electric and I was learning about lipos and such. The Lake County RC club out here by me are a mixture of gas and electric, mostly gas. So I just dug in here on rcg and learned a lot so I just decided to fly at the preserve where they fly. I considered the Blue Max club, but they are pretty far. I flew out at a field in Palatine last summer. Real nice field. I forgot the club name.

Not sure if we want to we need to move this convo out the thread into a private convo. I don't really know the rules about that.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Jan 28, 2014 at 03:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:14 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Hi and welcome...recommend you check out the RCG thread "Chicagoland FPV Flyers" to start. For FPV stay away from the clubs they hate us, even if allowed by AMA rules. They are also challenging places to learn to fly multirotors unless there's a good heli presence there. The Blade Nano is a greart starting place...I fly one around the house for practice...am currently flying an octo with full FPV/video capability in addition to FPV Skywalker and Zephy planes. We FPVers get together occasionally during the season all around the Chicago burbs and city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDotCom View Post
Hey All,

I hope I am not thread crashing here... I'm from the NW burbs of Chicago (Lake Zurich) and I have been looking for an "introductions" thread or something, and also looking to figure out where the Chicago folks hang out. I have found websites for a couple of the rc flying clubs up by me, but when i found this thread, it looked like a cool concentration of Chicago folks. I am still trying to figure out how to get started. I have been reading here on RCG, and i have run a couple of hours on an iPad based Heli sim. I am mainly interested in multi rotor units I think. my Ultimate goal is to get into FPV as it would tie in nicely to my video skills (I run the video club at an area high school).

Do you guys have any tips on where to get started here in the Chicago burbs? I was thinking my first step may be to buy one of those $30-$60 mini quads that I have seen online. Though, I am wondering if it would make more sense to try to buy something a little better in the local used market.

-Joe (Lake Zurich, IL)
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:38 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Hi and welcome...recommend you check out the RCG thread "Chicagoland FPV Flyers" to start. For FPV stay away from the clubs they hate us, even if allowed by AMA rules. They are also challenging places to learn to fly multirotors unless there's a good heli presence there. The Blade Nano is a greart starting place...I fly one around the house for practice...am currently flying an octo with full FPV/video capability in addition to FPV Skywalker and Zephy planes. We FPVers get together occasionally during the season all around the Chicago burbs and city.
AdamChicago, you sound very knowledgeable on FPV. Any advice for me on adding a setup to my mQX?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:53 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Would be glad to help but not sure I understand...that's a micro sized copter that would require either FPV gear made for it by the manufacture or specialized mini sized gear that's hard to come by. If you want to start small with FPV with a quadcopter I would recommend the DJI flamewheel 350 with a 5.8mhz video t ransmitter and receiver and a cheap 10in monitor. But if have a few more bucks we can help you spend that too ...ie adding goggles, OSD, good motors and a GoPro cam and on and on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
AdamChicago, you sound very knowledgeable on FPV. Any advice for me on adding a setup to my mQX?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Would be glad to help but not sure I understand...that's a micro sized copter that would require either FPV gear made for it by the manufacture or specialized mini sized gear that's hard to come by. If you want to start small with FPV with a quadcopter I would recommend the DJI flamewheel 350 with a 5.8mhz video t ransmitter and receiver and a cheap 10in monitor. But if have a few more bucks we can help you spend that too ...ie adding goggles, OSD, good motors and a GoPro cam and on and on
Oh ok, no problem. One guy that works at the lhs and another that flies at the dome I go to have a fpv setup on their Blade mQX. One is even using goggles. They sent me some links to their setup. I was just looking to gather more info from another source. I like to look at all my options before buying into something new.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:50 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Funny, I think I know who you refer to
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:30 PM
United States, IL, Lake Zurich
Joined Jan 2014
44 Posts
I got my Blade Nano QX today among with three extra batteries. I am having a ton of fun flying, and I am crashing much less than I expected.

I seem going to bring the qx to the school that I work at and see if I can get a few minutes flight time in the gym tomorrow!
JoeDotCom is offline Find More Posts by JoeDotCom
Old Feb 01, 2014, 10:13 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Flying in the gym will be a blast. The Nano is also great way to learn before investing in a bigger copter. Practice flying an oval in both directions and then flying out and directly back towards you. Once you can fly it around comfortably at most angles/directions you're ready for a step up in copter size. Have fun!
Old Feb 03, 2014, 04:55 PM
United States, IL, Lake Zurich
Joined Jan 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Flying in the gym will be a blast. The Nano is also great way to learn before investing in a bigger copter. Practice flying an oval in both directions and then flying out and directly back towards you. Once you can fly it around comfortably at most angles/directions you're ready for a step up in copter size. Have fun!
So far I've been hovering and cruising around using the right stick to lean. I am practicing flying forward and using the left stock to steer more. I have a lot of respect for you seasoned guys. It's tricky!

Yes the gym will be awesome if I can work at an arrangement.
JoeDotCom is offline Find More Posts by JoeDotCom
Old Apr 24, 2014, 09:02 PM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
442 Posts
Anyone been flying?
0gravity is online now Find More Posts by 0gravity
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:15 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I have been.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
I was just going to say Jim is allways flying but i have been building them and not to much flying yet ,i hope to change this soon. BTW the SAC club uses a field with a long paved runway for planes and it has a area just for heli's also . You need a ama card to fly there but since the land is owned by the forest preserve you dont have to join their club. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Apr 25, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 07:10 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Dont say i never gave you guys anything or say you cant ever find any good deals lol here . http://mikepetersonauctioneers.com/a...uction_id=1147 Good luck ! joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup