Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2001, 07:01 PM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
How does the r/c DH Mosquito fly?

Surprisingly I'm not getting a whole bunch of responce about the flying charachteristics of the Mossie on the general r/c websites. Though I'm preferring to build a gas/glo model, it won't make much difference if it's powered in gas, or electric, in how the thing behaves.

Any of you guys out there flown one, or seen or know how the things handle from others experiences. I have heard Bare and other folks comment about how even an ME262 handles pretty good up there. Is the mossie OK too, or is another ultra sophisticated tricky dog like a P-38, or Black Widow? Still trying to determine my next building project. This one is a beautifull prospect worth considering.
Randall Miller is offline Find More Posts by Randall Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2001, 07:41 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Hello Randall,

I have a 47 1/2" Mosquito half completed; the basic philosophy is to follow the Twinstar idea of two S400 6v motors and 2000RC nicads.

It is all built-up, little else but balsa and spruce, and is very light at the minute.
I had been taking digi-pics of the construction, but they have unfortunately been deleted.

I have the fuselage and tail finished, and the wing is in the 'ready-to-assemble-the-bits' stage !

I plan to use the same set-up as my Twinstar, with Jeti35 ESC and I will use a micro servo or each aileron, and a std. servo for he elevators. Weight should be <40oz for sure !

Made as a representation of a Mossie, not exactly scale, but the wing planform looks it, ( area increased a little by cheating ! )and it will be finished in a few months' time as other things are preventing me rom working on it.

No rudder control will be fitted, and I expect it will fly like the Twinstar as well !

I could keep you informed as and when the time arrives ?

Keven.

[This message has been edited by keven64 (edited 06-08-2001).]
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Jun 08, 2001, 09:05 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Randall:
I've seen 2 E-Mossies fly, both built by Ivan Pettigrew of Chilliwack, B.C., and both were very impressive indeed. The 1st was 60" span, 2xAtomic Force geared motors in series on 18xRC1700's, AUW just over 6 lbs. The 2nd is 72" span, all other specs the same, including the weight, so with lower wing loading, is even smoother flying. One of his tricks to make his planes fly well is to include a "NACA droop" in the l.e. of his wings, outboard of the motor nacelles. This kind of plane impresses everyone who sees it fly, including glow pilots. Build one, you won't be sorry!
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Jun 09, 2001, 01:04 AM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Dave Grife has been flying a beautiful Mosse for several years now. If memory serves it is built from Brian Taylor plans, 81" span with 2 geared Astro 25's.

Dave is an excellant pilot who could probably make an outhouse door fly well, but from the looks of it his Mosquito is a very fine flyer.
Mark Wolf is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jun 09, 2001, 11:31 PM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Thanks Gentleman,
Golly Jeese, your response has been too positive. Thought I could play Devils Advocate by leading you on with comparing this thing to a Lockheed P-38 or Northrop Black Widow. Hmmm... Lets see how can I get a negative opinion about the flying charachteristics of the MOSSIE? How about this: HOW DOES THE MOSQUITO FLY ON ONE ENGINE?!!

I'd like to build this model in gas, but would prefer a larger model in the 95" to 110" range. Brian taylors 81" is too small for gas, and his 124" too large.- Bob Holman quoted me $750.00 for the retracts alone on this size!
Amazing how popular a subject like this plane has been, yet nobody else produces the kit or ready made glass parts! -Atleast that I know of. Do you know anyone?
Old Jun 10, 2001, 03:01 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
I think you're in the wrong place. We do electric models round here and not many of them are 8 or 9 ft span. And they are built differently from models with gas powered shakers in them. And we very rarely have problems with one motor going out. That's a specific IC problem.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 10, 2001, 03:48 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Randall

The Powermax Mosquito springs to mind here. This is a 95" span kit that comes in a BIIIG box for two 10-15cc motors. Produced by Harden Associates in Bolton England and that production being rather punctuated- meaning sometimes the kit is available and sometimes not. I can find you a magazine review if you are interested in that size of Mossie.

Then there are larger fibreglass bodied designs available over here and better suited to petrol engines- the name escapes me for the moment, begins with an "N" and if you like I can find out, but by the sound of it they would be too large. Richard Rawle at Rawle Aviation kits a biggie (not sure if it is 1/4 or 1/5th scale Mosquito)- again if this isn't too big I could trawl my magazines for the review. Just off to Cosord for the 2001 airshow so I haven't got the time just now.

Hope this helps- let me know if you need anything more.

cheers

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 10, 2001, 03:35 PM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Thanks Brian

The RAWLE AVIATION MOSSIE at www.Rawleaviation.Demon.coUK/index.html is very nice, but also larger then I desire at 124-126" The POWERMAX MOSSIE you refer to is news to me, and sounds to be just the size of what I'm looking for.

However, I'd be nervous to try and order something overseas. Lord knows the problems we modelers have dealing with small companies right here in the U.S.A Ie; broken or missing parts, telephone tag, etc.

I'll keep looking around in the various web sites until maybe someone Knows of just ONE single kit available, OR I find someone who can direct me to an outfit who can make the smaller sized Brian Taylor canopy , and parts.

Thank you too, SLEWIN for the information concerning electric V.S Gas.
-RANDALL
Old Jun 10, 2001, 04:22 PM
CharlieR
bay area, california
Joined Nov 2000
315 Posts
Does anyone make a foam mosquito? My Grandad flew this plane in the war and I'm hoping to buy an electric version for my dad and me. I dont quite feel ready for a balsa kit.
thanks,
chazz
spy0o7 is offline Find More Posts by spy0o7
Old Jun 10, 2001, 04:55 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Randall

Brian Taylor supplies the moulded parts for his Mosquito-perhaps you could get these from Bob Holman. I have a set for his 72" span Mosquito- a set of very nice undercarriage doors, BIIIIIG spun aluminium spinners, two different canopies (one with framing and a bubble, the other without) and I think there are some nacelle parts in there as well. Undercarriage is available to order from Unitracts International.

It might electrify one day.

good luck with your search

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 10, 2001, 05:35 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Randall
Dave Grife, who hangs out on the sports forum if not here as well, had/had a Mosquito from, I believe, the Brian Taylor plan. Couple of Astro 25Gs' around 32 or so cells. Retracts, not sure about flaps. Big forceful flier, very realistic - I was lucky enough to see the last flyable Mossie at an RAF airshow back in England and Dave's compared well.

Engine out - we had one appear at Old Warden in England. Two 40's, flown with engine switch on "full" for the whole flight. The next OW, all he had left was a flattened spinner. He'd done one of his low, fast fly bys to pull up, lost an engine and cartwheeled into the ground.

A neighbour way back had flown the full size in WW2. He wasn't impressed with their engine out handling either, having survived losing one on take off.

Known both fans will always be going around at the same speed takes away all the pucker factor

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 10, 2001, 10:57 PM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Thanks Gents,

I find it very peculiar, that arguably the best all around multi-purpose war bird ever produced by the allies, is offered in r/c scale by ONE guy named Brian Taylor, who offers premade parts for ONLY two sizes; his 81" and 124" models! I had called Bob Holman some days back to inquire about the 106" size plans he offers.(-That I consider a perfect size.) The darn thing is a blow -up plan only! No parts available! GO FIGURE.

NICK ZIROLI, IF YOU'RE READING THIS; WHAT A PERFECT OPPERTUNITY TO SELL A TOP RATE R/C PLANE THAT HASN'T BEEN SPOTTED FOR SOME SERIOUS MARKETING YET!

Oh well. Maybe I'll reconsider the B-24 liberator, or a Ziroli Corsair again for my next project.

Thanks for the help anyway gentlemen.
Old Jun 11, 2001, 01:17 AM
Veldhoven, Holland
Joined Jan 2001
55 Posts
Hi Randall, Mossies are great flyers as long as you are aware of the flight characteristics. With thin tapered wing tips...... don't do any low, slow manouvers, keep the airspeed up or else.........!!!!!especially on landing.
The full size limitations of aeroplanes, give a very good indication to the characteristics of the model, whatever size you build it.
A flat bottomed wing helps on the smaller ones.....
I've e-mailed you some photo's of my Mossies. The small one is available from a gentleman in England
try this
http://www.crescent-designs.com/

he is a great guy and very helpful.

Good luck

Ray
Ray Richards is offline Find More Posts by Ray Richards
Old Jun 11, 2001, 06:02 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Miller:
Oh well. Maybe I'll reconsider the B-24 liberator, or a Ziroli Corsair again for my next project.

Thanks for the help anyway gentlemen.
Randall, Have you done any research into the Ziroli Corsair? The reason I ask is I'm collecting parts in anticipation of building a Saxton model which is the fiberglass version of the Ziroli plane. I was hoping to power it with a <a href=http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/Motor/50067.htm target=blank>Plettenberg 500/67</a> and 60-90 cells. I finally got the nerve to spend that hard earned cash a couple of weeks ago and emailed Plettenberg. They sent me a reply in a few days saying that they had discontiued making this motor a few months ago and din't have any in stock! This is some serious power requirement. I'm now investigating hand crafting a motor of my own persuasion. I'm looking at rewinding an existing motor to accept this wattage. Instead of trying to get a speed controller to work on that voltage, I'm thinking of splitting the pack up into multiple packs (Plettenberg style) and getting a controller made to handle large amploads (Schulze). Watt the heck, it's only money, right?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 12, 2001, 11:00 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Randall
Idle thought that arose looking at your post again. Not the Mossie, but a close relative - the DH 88 Comet - the wing is awful close.

There's two in the world, Old Warden's original and a pretty close replica / copy somewhere in the US. The OW aircraft has the original zero washout wing, and they had to stop flying it as it was just too much of a handful to get down onto their strip. The US version has washout and routinely flies out of a smaller strip than OW's.

Years back, I had a Chilton DW1 scale ship - my design. Same sort of almost to a point planform as a Mossie and all of 54" span. 3 degrees (Lovely number, that ) washout, a slightly thicker tip section and the ailerons, which went almost to the tip, had close to only "Up" movement. Max down was about 1/16", up around 5/8".

It would roll fine, for scale comp flying purposes, and handled normally in roll. The best bit was it had no tipstall tendency. I finally got her to spin by moving the CG back, but took the ballast off and flew in non-spinnable balance as I could fly enough options to do a scale pattern without a spin. Even so, I always pointed out to the judges that I was going to do a "wheeler' landing on the mains first, rather than a three pointer.

All suggests if you get around to your Mossie, there are ways to tame the beast to where you can almost relax and enjoy it.

If I could find the time to do a big electric twin, the Brian Taylor plan would be my start point. He is a very good designer and his models really perform. His interpretation of 'scale' is well above average too.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck