Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:25 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Newest trainer from Mountain Models

I recently designed an all foam 3D plane where I had to develope some methods to make a strong, stiff plane that would be easy to build. The Panic was the result. The plane is quite tough as was demonstrated when I cartwheeled it at hight speed across my yard. I got to thinking that this building technique would be great for a first trainer. My younger son wanted something to learn to fly on so I designed him an airplane around these techniques. This is the result.

I'm thinking of calling it the Magpie in honor of my daughter Maggie. It has a 46" wingspan, 414 sq in wing area, weighs 12 ounces without a battery, and is designed to fly with a GWS EPS350 motor. It uses two servos for rudder and elevator. I might add a second wing for it later that will have ailerons. I was flying the final prototype in 15+ mph winds and it was almost flying hands off. It it almost painfully stable in that you can put the transmitter down and go in for dinner when you point it into the wind. Kids, don't try this at home.

One of the design goals was to use equipment that would progress into hotter planes like the SmoothE. Target price is around $40 and I hope to release them within two weeks.

Doug
www.mountainmodels.com
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:37 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Nice looking plane Doug. What type of foam are you going to produce it in?
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:43 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2004
306 Posts
beautiful shot,what a little cutie Doug!,nice plane too

cheers
matt
matticulous is offline Find More Posts by matticulous
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:43 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,161 Posts
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Last edited by Arrow; Feb 18, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:44 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
More info !.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:48 PM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
sweet Doug!
Congratulations on the great new plane and an awesome looking daughter. You HAVE to name the magpie!

David
ithaca
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Last edited by dpoles; Oct 03, 2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:54 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Doug,

Very nice JOB! This model is clean with very good wing area and has light wing loading. I like the two servos at the tail boom end of the FUSE.

Love the clean lines and the wing design, seems like it has semi-symmetrical wing foil or is it just flat bottom with maximum lift and glide abilities? Also, any landing gear in the works?

In any case, instead of buying another E-STARTER to train my younger brother, this seems to be the perfect trainer. I'll be interested.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:55 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I'm not a fan of EPP so I designed this plane around EPS. It is cheaper, lighter, easier to shape and glue, and holds its shape better than EPP. With proper reinforcement, EPS can have the strength of EPP. This is what I found in the 3D market - the EPP planes could take a crash but flexed way more than I was happy with.

I think that it is because the plane doesn't flex is why it handles the wind so well. The controls are responsive but not too sensitive. It is, after all, a trainer.

I'll try to get some videos of it soon. I'd like to get some crash footage but it is pretty hard to crash. Maybe I should have my son try some landing in this wind.

Doug
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:02 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Okay, while I was responding to cincy, all the other posts came in.

It comes with landing gear. The 12 ounces is with gear. You assemble it with 5 minute epoxy. You need to cover the wing and fuselage with wing tape after the foam has been lightly sprayed with spray adhesive. The motor mount, landing gear mount, and control horns, etc are laser cut ply. The tail is laser cut Depron.

Wing loading is about 5.5 ounces per square foot. The airfoil is the S3021. This airfoil is what I used on the SmoothE and has also been used on some glider wings.

We very definitely have some balsa kits in the works. Two that are high on the list are a Speed 400 pylon plane and a, dare I say it, biplane. Both will bring some new construction ideas to the market.

Doug
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Mistake not using EPP. Sorry - that type of stuff is great for beginners. EPS, not so.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:09 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Wow, this looks like a great photo plane! I am very interested,
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:25 PM
New York Ny/Newark Downtown Manhatt, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2004
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
Wow, this looks like a great photo plane! I am very interested,
Jonathan
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Looks like the Slow Stick has got some competition now.
kosmonot is offline Find More Posts by kosmonot
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:51 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
Doug:

I'll take one.

When will it be ready to ship?

John
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:55 PM
Got Choppers?
Mesa, AZ
Joined Dec 2003
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoClimber

We very definitely have some balsa kits in the works. Two that are high on the list are a Speed 400 pylon plane and a, dare I say it, biplane. Both will bring some new construction ideas to the market.

Doug
That brings a smile to my face.

Can't wait for some crash video of the Magpie.
Air Force One is offline Find More Posts by Air Force One
Old Oct 03, 2004, 10:02 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
'Mistake not using EPP. Sorry - that type of stuff is great for beginners. EPS, not so.'

Doug always puts out the absolute best plane he can possibly do, so if he is using EPS over EPP, you can bet there is a reason. I dont really like EPP, too spongy and rough.
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid