HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
Joined Apr 2014
171 Posts
Discussion
Modifying a Tic Tac container into a waterproof camera container

I have bought a Tic Tac container to protect my 808 camera from any splashes or sinking when mounted to my rc boat. The container is just the right size and the plastic is nice and clear. Very convenient...not to mention insanely cheap. However, the narrow side, where the lens would face, has a kind of small bubble in the middle with indentations on either side, as well as writing. Obviously, the closer I position the lens to the plastic, the more out of focus these distractions would become. Even so, there's still a chance that the bubble may be slightly visible as an out of focus blob.

I'll test the camera out in the container and see if there any issues regarding those distractions. If there are issues, I'm considering buying a second Tic Tac container and cutting a rectangular section from one of the sides, cutting out the narrow side of the first container and replacing it with the new rectangular section (glueing it in place.) Would anyone know what kind of tool I'd need to use to cut this kind of plastic? Alternatively, I guess I could go to a class cutter who could probably do it for me for a small fee.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Excess Ballast
Prior Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2004
38 Posts
My guess is your best bet would be to score with a utility knife and then keep going over the cut line until you're through. Going slowly with a small, fine bladed hand saw should work as well.

If you get too much scuffed plastic on the edges, trim one of the bigger sides to fit. Cut one free with the utility knife, then the deep score and snap method should get things down to size. Cut a bit big and you can sand it to fit.

Keep us updated on how it works out. I've got one of these cameras on order myself.
andyzib is online now Find More Posts by andyzib
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,055 Posts
You might be able to use a dremel tool on slow speed with a really fine toothed saw blade. The slow speed is the key. Too fast and the plastic will melt from the friction. Can you post a pic of the camera you spoke of? It sounds like it would be tiny. A Tic Tac container is pretty small.
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New build project forming
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Excess Ballast
Prior Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2004
38 Posts
It's a keychain sized camera that does video available for around $10. Micro SD card not included.

Find them on eBay, Hobby King, NewEgg, Amazon, etc.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Excess Ballast
Prior Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2004
38 Posts
Stumbled on this on the forums, looks like someone has it all figured out.

808 Tic-Tac camera with a tilt: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1736289

Build: http://heliblog.moller-ilsoe.dk/#post371
Theory: http://heliblog.moller-ilsoe.dk/#post367
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2014
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzib View Post
It's a keychain sized camera that does video available for around $10.
I guess that $10 price tag refers to the SD models. I bought the 720p version (the #16) with ultra wide angle D lens for over $40.

Previously, I used a GoPro on my cheap rc boat but that was not a success at all. The boat quickly submerged and inverted! Obviously, too much weight, despite me adding wooden 'wings' to the boat. The 808 cameras are ultra light by comparison - they should be ideal for this application.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade