Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 08, 2014, 08:43 AM
Joined Feb 2009
701 Posts
Discussion
FAA 's reinterpretation' of what a model airplane is

Good morning Park Flyers

I am sure by now everyone has heard about the FAA's 'reinterpretation' of what a model airplane is, and how this is going to affect one particular segment of the hobby, FPV. In reality it is effecting all parts, but it will deal FPV quite a blow. Now before anyone asks "How does this effect "Park Flyers" please continue to read. Over on one of the discussions in the FPV forum the following link was posted: http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/lo...9134.htmlstory Yes it is a news story of a 'drone' doing something it probably should not do. But one quote from the story caught my eye

Quote:
....While the flight height meets FAA standards—the highest the aircraft is allowed to go is 400 feet—sending it over a crowded park may be in question. Federal aviation guidelines call for “selecting an operating site that is of sufficient distance from populated areas." Those areas include "parks, schools, hospitals, churches, etc."...
It is not clear if that quote was directly from the FAA rep that was interviewed, or the story editor did some research and added that in there. The highlighted text comes from AC91-57, but I am unsure where else it may exist. What is clear is that if someone thinks you are reckless with a model, the FAA will come after you.

Please, if you haven't added your comments to the new 'interpretation' please do so soon. It is going to effect ALL of model avation. http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketD...=FAA-2014-0396

Comments have been extended till September 23rd.
Rusty105 is online now Find More Posts by Rusty105
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2014, 01:49 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
720 Posts
When flying in a public park, there is no way to guarantee that a member of the public will not wander into your flight area. That is why it is inadvisable to fly there. Just because they are called park flyers does not mean you should fly them in a park. It is becoming more and more important to join the AMA and adhere to their rules for how and where to fly.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Aug 08, 2014, 05:25 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,418 Posts
+1 Mike, It was ill advised to call anything that flies a "Parkflyer" There was a reason why club fields were established off the beaten path, public safety is the term in case anyone is wondering. Look, if your serious about this hobby, join the AMA, and seek out a club near you, if none are near, then this probably dosen't apply to you anyway because you live in a rural area or fly on private property.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Aug 08, 2014, 06:05 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,939 Posts
This tempest inna tea pot dance has become Borrring,
"Chicken Little" no longer amuses.
FPV Drone flyers are Soiling their Nests. No news there, Yahoos are endemic.
Increasingly so with the steady deterioration of the educational system
Authorities are reacting slowly and ponderously.. rightly so. That's their Job .
Personally I've been flying sans "club" or Union since 1960.
If I wanted to join something I'd be a Mason :-)
Never had an issue park flying.. for say what? 50! years.
But It does require some self control though.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Aug 08, 2014, 07:23 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,418 Posts
Yea Bare, agree with most of what you think, except it's not a even comparison, given Canada's social and demographic differences with that of the U.S.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Aug 08, 2014, 08:55 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,820 Posts
Screw fpv! It's doomed and rightly so.
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Aug 09, 2014, 07:20 PM
Joined Feb 2009
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Screw fpv! It's doomed and rightly so.
Do you honestly think it will stop there?
Old Aug 09, 2014, 08:13 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,500 Posts
400 ft rule confusion

Is 400 ft going to be just for FPV or all model airplanes? The reason I ask is because FPV usually have a HUD to display altitude but the average RC flyer has no idea how high he is. For thermaling and doing aerobatics with turbines you most always fly way higher than 400 feet?

Also some club members are saying that the 400 ft rule will only apply if you are close to an airport so we really won't have to be concerned. I think that is already in the AMA safety code so if that's true it will effect very few of us.

It's all very confusing to the average sport flyer!

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:58 AM
Joined Feb 2009
701 Posts
What is the point then of calling it a "Park Flyer" if it can't be flown in a park? Obviously not a busy park, or where it is expressly prohibited, but an empty soccer field or baseball diamond would be plenty of room for a small foam plane. Or an empty farm field.

From the Park Pilot website
Quote:
Park Pilot primarily showcases model aircraft weighing two pounds or less and flies under speeds of 60 mph using electric or rubber power, or of any similar quiet means of propulsion. Often these models are flown by remote control or Control Line. Given the size and nature of these aircraft, it's not uncommon to find them being flown in the backyard or smaller flying fields like a park, hence the name Park Pilot.
Common sense goes a long way. If people are near, stop flying. Use a spotter. The idea of only flying in a club field is nuts. Some of the smaller ones could fly in a school gym, why would I need to drive to a dedicated field? Get a coulple of friends and have a safe time.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:01 AM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
720 Posts
So what happens when someone wanders into your flight area? Do you ask them to leave? What if they assert, and rightfully so, that they have just as much right to be in the public park/ball diamond/soccer pitch as you do? Unless you have some sort of agreement in place as to when you can fly there, and ask others to stay away, it won't work.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 06:13 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky View Post
So what happens when someone wanders into your flight area? Do you ask them to leave? What if they assert, and rightfully so, that they have just as much right to be in the public park/ball diamond/soccer pitch as you do? Unless you have some sort of agreement in place as to when you can fly there, and ask others to stay away, it won't work.
I fly at a locll park, in an open field. If it was me, I would move to one side and try to share with whoever shows up. If that isn't an option I would probably take a break until they clear the area. I might even ask them politely if they mind if I fly on one side of park. If they are there all day I would move to another park, or stop flying for the day. My interaction with people at the park have been positive, including staff. They seem more interested in watching, may even get some new people into the hobby this way. I might even buy a champ to let others try if interested.

I also don't fly in any reckless manner etc...I think alot of the problems can be avoided if you fly safety, and try to get along easily with others in the park. Just my .02.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:26 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
720 Posts
The picture I have in my mind is when you are in the air and someone wanders into the only spot you can land. What then?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:23 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky View Post
The picture I have in my mind is when you are in the air and someone wanders into the only spot you can land. What then?
In that instance there really isn't a great answer. You can try to stay up until they move assuming they are just moving thru. Otherwise if they can hear you then ask them to move over a little so you can land. Only other option is put it down anywhere you can.

Don't really know in that instance.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky