HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2014, 05:59 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
301 Posts
Discussion
Optima 9 two antenna setup

Ideally the 2 antennas ahould be about 90 degees to each other but the plane I intend to install this receive in does not have sufficient space in the fuselage for a 90 degree setup. What is the minimum angle for diversity to work?

What is the worse thing that can happen besides not getting optimum antenna diversity? If the antennas are parallel would I get interference instead?

Thanks
sportflyer is offline Find More Posts by sportflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2014, 07:07 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
993 Posts
The ultimate idea is to have at least one antennae in the same orientation as your transmitter antennae as much as possible. But since we are banking or changing elevation besides level flight, the second antenna helps to maintain strength of signal to the receiver itself. Don't know if parallel antennaes would give you problems, but won't try it myself.

In your case, why not mount one or both of the antennae outside the fuselage to achieve the 90 degree angle. you have to on profile airplanes, and the guys on 72mhz do it all the time.
jjkupinski is online now Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:50 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
301 Posts
I might consider that option . I may install one antenna along the fuselage and the other vertically out . Looks better this way on a biplane.
sportflyer is offline Find More Posts by sportflyer