HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:17 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,089 Posts
Discussion
Devo 7 Range Test

450 Sport Flight Vacant Lots Site (6 min 19 sec)

Lost signal at 1:30, 1:37 and 4:29. Distance is 80 meters according to google earth.

Did two range test, and i uploaded the recent one. I basically just put down the heli at one end of the street (no wifi in range), and walked to the other end 230 meters away.

Walkera Devo 7 Transmitter Range Test (7 min 5 sec)

Minimum range is 80 meters (2:02), any further than that and it becomes hit or miss, go past 140 meters (4:57) and you're going down. You can't fly a plane with this. I've turned the heli on its side so both antennas are within line of sight, and the antenna tips aren't touching anything.

Are all transmitters like this? Or do i have to get another TX if i were to try FPV?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Jan 26, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:06 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Are all transmitters like this? Or do i have to get another TX if i were to try FPV?
No Hajile, all transmitters are not like this.
The low end Walkera Tx's in particular, are totally unsuited to FPV application, I would not even use the 6S/8S/10/12S for that application.
For FPV (or planes and larger helis in general) you need signal strength and reliability, so it pays to go with the proven hardware. You don't need to outlay big bucks to achieve that. For example, the FlySky 9x fitted with FRSky module and receiver is a proven FPV setup with excellent range and reliability, you can get that for ~ $100.
I just made a post about Walkera's magic cube and the Devo 7E and their range problems here.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,089 Posts
Crap. None of the sites i go to has flysky. Is it related to turnigy?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:59 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,086 Posts
Yes, the Turnigy 9x is a rebadged Flysky.
If you are interested in getting one, it is best to go for the one sold without a module, as the Turnigy version has a module with a hard wired antenna.
Then you need the FrSky ACCST JR-compatible module and receiver, the module just plugs in the back.
There are telemetry or non-telemetry modules available depending on your requirements and the whole setup is both cost effective and very reliable.
However there is a little mod required to make the module fit well in the socket, if that's a problem, just use the standard version that comes with a module.
The new 9xR might be best shot either way but it does not come with module.
All you need is available from Hobbyking, but do some research on it so you are sure it's suitable for you. The 9x is one of the most popular radios on the market, for good reason.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Last edited by mono; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,089 Posts
Thanks. So keywords are "Turnigy 9x" and "JR Module"? I'll very likely get one after i build the quad. The Devo7's atleast good enough for practicing at normal range for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:55 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,157 Posts
FrSky supposedly has 2 transmitters coming out this year.

But, for even longer range (> ~1-2km) you can forget about 2.4Ghz altogether and start gathering 433Mhz gear.

And btw, range on ground is always less than range in the air. But keep in mind Devo 7 isn't a 100mw TX, real output is around 20mw (from FCC docs), so 80 meters on ground probably equates to 200m in air, sufficient for a parkflyer.

Another thing to consider is the Devention protocol, which isn't frequency hopping thus highly susceptible to interference (contrary to FrSky).
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Last edited by sbstnp; Jan 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,089 Posts
Seen a review of the 9XR and it's apparently crap. HK's selling a 9X without a module and i might just get that and a frsky module/rx.

UHF is a bit pricey, maybe after i've actually built the FPV. Very likely i'll lose the video first tho.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
631 Posts
Hello !

Did you sort your range problem out (transmitter, receiver antennas placement ?)

Regards, Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Well , a few things to consider ..

Rx placement and antenna location ..

Perhaps the Devo 7 is range limited ( power output ) ?

I got the Devo 7e and I know it has limitations , but there are mods ..
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,089 Posts
I haven't put a camera back on it so i can't hear the motors. But in the last recording I've made. One antenna is hanging off the tailboom so the exposed part isnt' touching anything, the other is hanging off the plastic battery tray so I've got a receiver antenna on both ends, and it was still happening. I don't fly that far away anyway so it's really not something i'll be worried about too much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:42 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
Well , a few things to consider ..

Rx placement and antenna location ..

Perhaps the Devo 7 is range limited ( power output ) ?

I got the Devo 7e and I know it has limitations , but there are mods ..
Depending to the country where you bought your Devo 7 (different firmwares to comply with the local laws) you can set the output power of the Devo 7 from -5 dBm (316 W) to +20 dBm (100 mW) so it SHOULD have the same output power at a Devo 8, or 10 or 12...
But for some countries the maximum selectable output power is +10 dBm (10 mW)

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Last edited by Rollmops67; Apr 30, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,089 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1890692

Added the FrSky for comparison.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:34 AM
United States, FL, Celebration
Joined Oct 2013
20 Posts
We just got the new e-Eyes GPS plane that came with the Devo 7 and will update on how far we fly. So far we went around slightly bigger than a football field with the GPS plane equipped with RX701. That is say about 110 m for a field, we did not fly high. The new (2014) Devo 10 White has been noted to go up-to 2 km.

Walkera E-Eyes GPS FPV Plane, Devo 7 (2 min 41 sec)
dronemission is offline Find More Posts by dronemission