HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
Rave
Confessions of an Icon addict

Hi. My name is George, and I am addicted to the Icon A5 Light Sport aircraft. I bought my first PZ Icon A5 in May. As a decent heli pilot and former slope soarer, I chose it for my first water plane. Bad idea! Don't do that. Get a Super Cub.

After replacing the original fuselage in July, and subsequently breaking it three more times, I added a second Icon.

Both are still flying now, with many un-crashed packs on each. Even the former hangar queen has seen probably 50 flights and fly-alongs and looks new. I'm learning to appreciate the challenge of flying a very cool looking/sounding/performing water plane.

As the original is aging (and by aging I mean putting on 6lbs of epoxy), I find myself wandering through the LHS to look at a new Icon. Even when it's not on my way.

And the possibility, however remote, of a micro-Icon as3x might be my undoing. I could easily see myself with a fleet!

My supercub, albatros, carbon cub are lonesome. I'm considering cashing out my 401K to get a full sized Icon.

Help!
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:47 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
Here's the original. My first Icon A5. If you look closely, you can see she had a hard life early on. There's not an unbashed piece of foam anywhere on her. Still flies great.
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:10 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,507 Posts
Wanting an AS3X micro-icon? Build one . I did that with my radian - designed a pod'n'boom v-tail glider with the exact wing specs and dimensions as the radian... flies better now. I imagine the icon downsize wouldn't be too hard.

I've never owned one, but Icons are lovely planes. Shame there's not a good lake around here.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
I must be an icon addict, too. I have the large Icon AND the small Icon from Hobbyking.... Really like both of them. I have also flown a Parkzone Icon and liked it.

The Guanli Icon is such a poor representation of an Icon that I am not disappointed that I have never flown one...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:36 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
No hassle, just fly!

When I was a kid first starting with slope soarers in the early 70's, I built everything. But I never enjoyed the build. Or the repair. So I'm hopeful that ParkZone will follow up on the as3x Spitfire with a cool little Icon.

The Giant Icon is most tempting, but I'm not sure how practical it would be for me. The batteries are more expen$ive and transporting it would be a challenge. But to be able to use the Icon as intended - with full amphibian capability - is very cool.

No, I'm good on water only. And I'll stick with what they do marginally well at HK - just batteries. So far I've never seen a PZ Icon show up at someone's doorstep with two left sponsons, or a reversed motor mount!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:07 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
When I was a kid first starting with slope soarers in the early 70's, I built everything. But I never enjoyed the build. Or the repair. So I'm hopeful that ParkZone will follow up on the as3x Spitfire with a cool little Icon.

The Giant Icon is most tempting, but I'm not sure how practical it would be for me. The batteries are more expen$ive and transporting it would be a challenge. But to be able to use the Icon as intended - with full amphibian capability - is very cool.

No, I'm good on water only. And I'll stick with what they do marginally well at HK - just batteries. So far I've never seen a PZ Icon show up at someone's doorstep with two left sponsons, or a reversed motor mount!
I think just one of very many of the smallest HK Icons has shown up with each of those faults....and given the price point, I will take the risk.... My small one and large one were both perfect.

The big Icon is flying on two 4 cell 2200 packs in parallel...total battery cost of 47 bucks. The large Icon cost me about $320 total, with all but RX, which I switch to other models when not flying seaplanes. I got the kit direct from NFD models and did my own 4 cell Power 32 clone setup instead of the silly 6S setup that NFD and HK was pushing.

$320 to my door for my setup plus a $6.00 Orange RX VS $280 for the BNF PZ Icon model is not much difference for a lot more airplane.

PNP, the price would be $274 to $199, NFD VS PZ....still good value for the extra money and a 6 channel model with flaps and retracts vs a 4 channel model.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I think just one of very many of the smallest HK Icons has shown up with each of those faults....and given the price point, I will take the risk.... My small one and large one were both perfect.

The big Icon is flying on two 4 cell 2200 packs in parallel...total battery cost of 47 bucks. The large Icon cost me about $320 total, with all but RX, which I switch to other models when not flying seaplanes. I got the kit direct from NFD models and did my own 4 cell Power 32 clone setup instead of the silly 6S setup that NFD and HK was pushing.

$320 to my door for my setup plus a $6.00 Orange RX VS $280 for the BNF PZ Icon model is not much difference for a lot more airplane.

PNP, the price would be $274 to $199, NFD VS PZ....still good value for the extra money and a 6 channel model with flaps and retracts vs a 4 channel model.
Smaller works better than larger for me. Unless it's the full size Icon. It's bad enough now with the 53" PZ Icon - I fly pretty close to neighbors on both sides of the lake several lots deep. It would be nice to just buzz my dock with a Micro AS3X version.

If HH doesn't seem interested in a smaller version, I might have to go with the slightly smaller HK.

Loved your pix in the other thread, btw.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:48 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
If epoxy could fly, in the form of an Icon A5, it would look like this.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
NOW you warn me! My PZ ICON is on it's way... And I'm 18 days from retirement and deciding how I want my 401k distribution. First payment $138k for the real A5??
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:03 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
NOW you warn me! My PZ ICON is on it's way... And I'm 18 days from retirement and deciding how I want my 401k distribution. First payment $138k for the real A5??
. No, no. Only $5K down gets you in line. Then you have until 2016 to pony up the balance.

And your PZ Icon fits great in the right seat!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
. No, no. Only $5K down gets you in line. Then you have until 2016 to pony up the balance.

Bummer 4 years to wait and drool...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:

I'm half way there. I now have my PZ Icon ready to fly..Will fly off land first to get comfortable before flying off water...The water's too cold for a swim..
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:27 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I'm half way there. I now have my PZ Icon ready to fly..Will fly off land first to get comfortable before flying off water...The water's too cold for a swim..
Keep us posted and best of luck with her maiden!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
If ya dont like to swim you can get yourself a zepco pocket fisherman rod and reel and get a string through a tennis ball and put a washer on the other side. I pull it tight back through and put a glob of silicone where the hole's are. I can cast the heavy ball way over my plane or off to the side, then walk around till the string is lined up with my poor broke down planes and pull them back in. Good luck with your Icon's they look like great flying planes. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 17, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:22 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
818 Posts
Tricky devil

It looks so good from any angle (sigh).