Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:37 PM
My head in the clouds!
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2014
100 Posts
If anyone needs a x-mount for there devil I found these work good. You need to shave/file the outer holes in a little but it worked great for me:

http://www.headsuphobby.com/X-Mount-...?categoryId=-1
Cyclone Steve is offline Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2014, 02:10 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,037 Posts
Well mine just got here and I have a few questions.
The ailerons were very stiff so I undid the servo pushrod and flexed them back and forth about 25 times moving my hand along the hinge to flex all points evenly. When I was done the hinge had let go on the first 3 inches at the wingtip on one wing .
I think I will be cutting off all the ailerons and maybe the rudder and elevator and doing pinned hinges. So much for a quick build! Does everyone redo the hinges? Mine came apart so easily I'm sure they would have failed in flight very quickly.
Another thing , there is some device attached to the ESC reciever wire. Anyone care to tell me what it is? I didn't see it mentioned in the instructions. It seems too small to be a capacitor.
Also the cowl was way out of line and the lower bolt went into nothing. I guess I will put in a chunk of balsa and Screw to that.
The airflow through the cowl seems to completely bypass the battery as well. I may melt some holes behind those cowl "cheeks" into the battery area, but I am concerned I might weaken the front of the plane as this seems to be a weak area, maybe some bamboo skewers stuck in just outside the motor mount and going as far back as possible (glued in of course)

Thanks, Alex
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Old Aug 01, 2014, 02:23 PM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
The ailerons were very stiff so I undid the servo pushrod and flexed them back and forth about 25 times moving my hand along the hinge to flex all points evenly. When I was done the hinge had let go on the first 3 inches at the wingtip on one wing .
I think I will be cutting off all the ailerons and maybe the rudder and elevator and doing pinned hinges. So much for a quick build! Does everyone redo the hinges? Mine came apart so easily I'm sure they would have failed in flight very quickly.
Another thing , there is some device attached to the ESC reciever wire. Anyone care to tell me what it is? I didn't see it mentioned in the instructions. It seems too small to be a capacitor.
Also the cowl was way out of line and the lower bolt went into nothing. I guess I will put in a chunk of balsa and Screw to that.
The airflow through the cowl seems to completely bypass the battery as well. I may melt some holes behind those cowl "cheeks" into the battery area, but I am concerned I might weaken the front of the plane as this seems to be a weak area, maybe some bamboo skewers stuck in just outside the motor mount and going as far back as possible (glued in of course)

Thanks, Alex
Waiting for mine and have second thoughts.....
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Aug 01, 2014, 02:37 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
100 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, Alex
My hinges have held up well. My battery doesnt seem to get too hot. The screws on the cowl do suck. I removed them and glued it on. That thing on the esc wire is some kind of amplifier. I forget its purpose. The main issue I had with mine was the motor mount coming loose. Make sure you balance the prop to keep vibration at a minimum! If (or when) it does come loose you can epoxy it back on and It seems to fix the issue. Welders glue might do good for the hinges.
Old Aug 01, 2014, 06:18 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,037 Posts
On further inspection it looks like the wings bounced around in the wing box a bit as most of the aileron tips show signs of compression. I think this is what precipitated the weakening of my hinges as it only has actually broken loose on the tip with the worst smushing. I think for now I will make slits from the wing-tips and slide in some"paper" type hinges with some medium CA.
I think the hinge area in the foam is to thick to try and make welders type hinges, they would be to stiff.
I still am stumped on the "filter" or whatever it is on the ESC wire. It may be something they needed due to a shortcoming of the ESC? or problems with their 2.4ghz receiver? in which case I can remove it as I am using a 72mhz Sombra Labs RX
That's all for now, Alex
Old Aug 02, 2014, 11:38 AM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Oct 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt and Sage View Post
Waiting for mine and have second thoughts.....
If you are having second thoughts about purchasing the plane, I don't think you will feel that way once you get it trimmed out and get in your groove with it. It is one of my top 3 planes that I fly.... and I have a lot of planes (30+). It has been the best value in a sport plane to date and the little annoyances that some folk experience can usually be taken care of easily, still keeping the build time to less than 4 or 5 hours.

Best of luck with the plane......I personally think you made a good purchase decision....but I don't count. Your opinion counts and I think you may change your 2nd thoughts real soon.

Vince
vcaruso is online now Find More Posts by vcaruso
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2014, 12:14 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcaruso View Post
If you are having second thoughts about purchasing the plane, I don't think you will feel that way once you get it trimmed out and get in your groove with it. It is one of my top 3 planes that I fly.... and I have a lot of planes (30+). It has been the best value in a sport plane to date and the little annoyances that some folk experience can usually be taken care of easily, still keeping the build time to less than 4 or 5 hours.

Best of luck with the plane......I personally think you made a good purchase decision....but I don't count. Your opinion counts and I think you may change your 2nd thoughts real soon.

Vince
Agreed! Its a great plane!
Old Aug 02, 2014, 03:16 PM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
113 Posts
Thank You Vince
I WILL work through any problems...Not many planes do not have at least ONE problem....w

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcaruso View Post

Vince
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Aug 02, 2014, 07:45 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,278 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, Alex

Sorry if i offend any,but it's a poor build of a plane with brittle foam,the motor comes loose and not much that can be done about it,regluing it only makes you mess up the nose of the plane a little to get at it.... As for flying,it's an alright sport plane but not a great 3D plane,ESC is not programmed great,it does not like flying slow ie harriers and prop hangs are difficult on it,can be done but not without too much work....I don't like the way the plane knife edges,it just does not hold a solid line... Perhaps the distorted control surfaces may contribute to this,tut tut......

For a new guy to the plane COG is tricky cause of the limited battery space you got.....

Hinges,like you say......

I'm sure some people didn't mind these issues but i don't like the plane at all and it's hanging on my wall and i never fly it.

The worst of all things on the plane were the hinges,did i mention those horrid things,or lack of...... Mmmm... mine came apart numerous times in flight,the turbulence pulled them apart on the rudder and elevator,using other hinges is not much of an option as you do NOT want to go cutting any of this brittle foam.Regluing them was the only easy fix.

Sorry if i offend any,not my intention,just giving an honest perspective from my point of view,i paid honest money for the plane so i'm giving honest feedback,sorry again,I'm sure we all have had our own experiences with it,i just never liked flying it from the off.

Unsubbed.
flightpunch34 is online now Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Last edited by flightpunch34; Aug 02, 2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old Aug 04, 2014, 07:05 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,037 Posts
well I maidened mine this weekend and am very happy with it.
I was able to hold a nice hover and mine locked in to a nice knife edge with a little coupling only going right.
The 4s battery pack as far back on the standard tray as I could get it was fine for me at least to feel the plane out.
so I think It will be worth customizing it a bit with a wider firewall with cf pins that go to the back of the battery compartment.
Also I may cut the front wing "carbane" is it called? in half and bend the halves down 90% and fasten to a G10 extension that goes into the foam above the landing gear. this will let me extend the battery compartment back without that metal strut in the way.
Aso I may melt some cooling holes inside the scale cheeks and some half circles of foam from the sides of the battery to let air by.
Oh and my system wouldn't arm with whatever that component is between the ESC and RX so I ditched it.
good flying everyone, Alex
PS a few other changes I did- I found I could fit larger wheels in the pants by just making the opening bigger, and I mounted the landing gear on some fairly soft rubber strips to have a bit more give in the grass I fly from.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 01:36 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
100 Posts
Made another video with animal it cracks me up every time!

ANIMAL FLY'S THE DEVIL (4 min 21 sec)
Old Today, 02:08 AM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
100 Posts
Animal's next flight

Animals at it again. Amazing what you can talk a couple of girls into, with a couple shots of patrons's of course stay tuned for the flight!

Name: animal&friends.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 547.7 KB
Description: