HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
Hi

i use this FC since years, but last week something strange happened.

When i connected main battery, all the leds on Rabbit was on, but thats all.
No scrolling leds, no initializing sensor, no beeps.
I reconnect lipo, and again, leds just turned on and nothing more.
I have to reconnect about 5 times, for working correctly again.
What was that? I use 1.230 fw. It was on a hot day, maybe rabbit
or my plush esc's don't like warm summer? Anybody with the same issue?

Another thing: the original gps is very sensitive to rabbit electric noise.
I connected the gps to my laptop (with u-center) parallel, and watch the sats.
When gps was close to FC sats signal strength gets crazy, and i rarely get lock
in 2-3 minutes. If i move away the gps i get lock in 1-2 minutes often, but not always!
It was many times when i still can't get lock in 5 minutes on a bright, clear day.
If i use a gps with SAW filter, will it work better, faster lock?

The last thing is with the magnetometer. I did the calibration at least 10 times, and still 20-25 degrees difference is exist while i check in GUI and rotate the hexa exactly 60 degrees every time. Maybe this 20 degrees is normal, but is it also normat when i pitch the hexa (but the direction remain the same), magneto also change around 30-40 degrees??!?
Is it so also by you, guys?
I think this i why Position hold is not so good in light/medium wind.

thanks
vili is offline Find More Posts by vili
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:02 PM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
397 Posts
Haven't flown my Rabbit in the last couple of years, but I keep it, 'cause it was fun to fly.

GPS-wise, get a Crius CN-06v3 (Neo-6 with LNA and SAW) or better yet, get a NEO-M8N-based based unit off CSGShop.

Mag-wise, back when the MS5611 version saw light, and the 10K resistor mod was leaked, I've unsoldered the baro/mag original extension board and chained on I2C a MS5611 BOB and a HMC5884 BOB. Being on a length of wire, I've had the opportunity to mount it away from FC and ESCs, with nice results.

The Rabbit is a dinosaur from the "old days" but I bet it still can fly well, if you follow common sense
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:29 AM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
Ok, so i'm right that a saw chip will help finding enough sats quickly near rabbit?
I have the new baro version rabbit.
You remember, that your mags also made changes when your pitch the frame?
What about other FC's? Mag value should't not change when pitching?
If i make the I2C mod, what do i need exactly (can you link?)
And was your PH far better after the mod?

thx
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:33 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
397 Posts
If you have the new baro, all you need is to unsolder the extension board, mount it elsewhere taking care of both its orientation (for mag) and wind/light influence on baro, and add a length of wire to the FC.

I used to have the best PH and RTL with 1.230 IIRC. 1.231 led to toilet bowl.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
Thanks, i also use 1.230
PH is very good in no wind, but could be better in light/moderate wind.
(i tried every gps parameters now, dynadamp, etc)

Do you have a lot better PH with your mod? Or should i use a better FC than rabbit?
Which is the cheapest which is very safe (doesn't freeze in the air,etc)
and can stay in place with PH?

thx
Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:18 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
397 Posts
I've used the Rabbit on two platforms. One was for flips and fun, and I needed it to RTL properly whenever it was too far away and I lost orientation, the other was sporting 16-inch props on slow 360 kV pancakes, and Rabbit was coping way better then Multiwii and Arducopter with the low-frequency shudders that airframe was experiencing.

Other then that, my AP work was done on APMs, and lately a Pixhawk, plus a big okto on Mikrokopter. The MK is the most reliable machine I fly. Never had a glitch, keeps a very nice altitude and PH, and fights winds like a champ.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 01:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
Ok, now i know that Mikrokopter is the best, and "Rabbit was coping way better then Multiwii and Arducopter", but my question was, will rabbit PH definetly better when placing magneto far away from the FC? If i do this mod, i get very accurate magnetometer? Now errors are 15-20 degrees if i made a test on the ground, but i read even in mikrokopter documentation. that 10-20 degree difference is normal and has no effect on PH

About LED's. Can rabbit flash external leds when battery is low?
Old Aug 07, 2014, 06:35 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Amadora
Joined Feb 2014
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by athxp View Post
this is my card. the barometer is the old model ...
Hi everyone , im new to this fórum , but this is where i found Info about my Rabbit fc.
My board is just like the onde above , so i believe is Rabbit 1...
I bought it second handed.
It has baro board and GPS , only missing sonar for now.
It flies great with only autolevel on.
I have the latest Fw (can't remember now witch one , im writing this on my phone) but i seem to Fail in calibrating the mag , i don't know how to do it , i've tried several times doing "by the book" ( original Fw) , so maybe this was why , when i turned PH on , it banked to the right and descended rapidly to the ground almost crashing.
If someone could shed a light on this for me i would be appreciated.
EDIT: found the Fw , im running 1.23...
Regards ,
Miguel from Portugal.
msviper is offline Find More Posts by msviper
Last edited by msviper; Aug 07, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 01:01 PM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post
Ok, now i know that Mikrokopter is the best, and "Rabbit was coping way better then Multiwii and Arducopter", but my question was, will rabbit PH definetly better when placing magneto far away from the FC? If i do this mod, i get very accurate magnetometer? Now errors are 15-20 degrees if i made a test on the ground, but i read even in mikrokopter documentation. that 10-20 degree difference is normal and has no effect on PH

About LED's. Can rabbit flash external leds when battery is low?
I can't actually say for sure. Once I modded my R1 with MS5611, the mag ended away from the board, and it stayed that way. AFAIK I'm the only Romanian who flew a Rabbit, and I have only one board, so there was no way to compare.
But still, with external mag, I've had my share of toilet bowls in PH and RTLs heading to Chinaland instead of takeoff point.

I forgot if the leds flash a certain pattern on battery alarm, but the buzzer does start beeping,
Old Aug 07, 2014, 01:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
thanks
i have a lipo alarm, so i can see before start that all cells are 4+ Volts
I just love the phantom method: leds start blinking when battery is low.
Is there any led strip that has some electronics on it, so i can set the flashing voltage?
Old Aug 07, 2014, 02:06 PM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
397 Posts
To flash leds you can modify a lipo buzzer. Or modify Rabbit's buzzer.

Other available leds out there need information either from a mavlink stream (the jd-io board) or from the FC via I2C.

I tend to disagree on the led battery warning. One wookong X8 ended up in a lake because it was too far away to distinguish between purple and red. Or any color at all.

Nothing can beat FrSky telemetry in your TX. And with a Taranis reading your battery voltage every 0.2V, you don't even have to look down at the screen
Old Aug 07, 2014, 02:26 PM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
Great, thanks.
How can i modify my lipo buzzer?
Do you have any link? I have such:

It has loud beep, and i can hear it from 100-150m. (I never go farter than 200m)
But there are situations where i should be almost silent in nature or some public event. Or what about evening? A flashing led warning would be also good!