HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:25 AM
Joined May 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconFlyer View Post
Hello everybody and happy new year!

I just though I'd share a solution to the gimbal stutter issue I reported before. I ended up raising the tray slightly closer to the center(using the lower two holes to on the uper two holes of the boom insert) to improve torque a bit and managed to reduce the resitance of the shock that I attempted to use by emptying out some of the silcon oil. Below are some picture of the new setup. I know it's not a very clean solution but ground tests with my nex5n show some improvement in the stutter issue. I will try to post some before and after videos once I get to it.
Some before and after videos(sorry about the sound/music)
Beforehttp://youtu.be/knmTYVG9Fgg

Afterhttp://youtu.be/Tudh964a3sg

What do you guys think? Is there an improvement?
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:00 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
it looks a lot less twitchy, looks much better
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
I found on my mikrokopter that having some delay on the servo makes for smoother gimbal stabilization.
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:47 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
One of your best videos thus far! Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert View Post
Hello my friends,

I have not posted anything for a while because I was working in preparing something I did not like my out of range over the sea in French Polynesia, even if it was a happy end. So I married my Scarab with the Thomas Scherrer Long Range System.

This is my first try in FPV with the TSLRS and second flight with the Carbonbirds 775 combined with 0905 Tri Props. Gello is gone !!!

Regarding the Thomas Scherrer Long Range System, I have the TX V5 Pro and the RX NR 600, both received from Danish Aviation Systems. Steven Friberg there has been very supportive and helpful.

The quadricopter is a QuadOcta Scarab with a Whartox. Absolutely no problem in setting-up TSLRS with Multiwiicopter, very straight forward.

http://youtu.be/cGVeJTtdoLA

Gregory
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Here are some teaser photos of the Scarab Avatar tricopter. I'm currently in the process of making it look like something from a movie...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's another pic that I edited in photoshop to change the colors to hint at what color it will be painted in (the white areas will be grey too). I'm waiting for a jet-like canopy to arrive in the mail which will go on the front flat area.

Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Couple general build question:

Should the supplied landing gear be screwed to the bottom of the base plate using the same screws that screw in to the posts of the boom holders? The screws I got are way to short to do this.

Also, are there any good tutorials for balancing 3 blade props?
nathasm is offline Find More Posts by nathasm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathasm View Post

Should the supplied landing gear be screwed to the bottom of the base plate using the same screws that screw in to the posts of the boom holders? The screws I got are way to short to do this.

It depends on the kit that you are building. If it's the original Scarab 12 or most other Scarabs then yes you would use the 2.5 x 10mm hex screws. There should be longer ones provided with the kit - make sure you didn't use them elsewhere! The Scarab Stealth uses 3mm screws and different mounts for the landing gear.

Search this thread on how to balance a three-bladed prop. I posted a quick how to many moons ago...

Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:04 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
It depends on the kit that you are building. If it's the original Scarab 12 or most other Scarabs then yes you would use the 2.5 x 10mm hex screws. There should be longer ones provided with the kit - make sure you didn't use them elsewhere! The Scarab Stealth uses 3mm screws and different mounts for the landing gear.
I'm working off a YSiix build and I was only given what appears to be 2.5 x 6mm hex screws. 12 of them. I don't think I could have used that many elsewhere...

Thanks, I'll look through the post again for the balance howto.
nathasm is offline Find More Posts by nathasm
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:06 AM
So I have a head on my butt.
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Here's another pic that I edited in photoshop to change the colors to hint at what color it will be painted in (the white areas will be grey too). I'm waiting for a jet-like canopy to arrive in the mail which will go on the front flat area.

Cool!! Anxious to see that baby flying!

Jim
jimfc is offline Find More Posts by jimfc
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathasm View Post

Here's a link to a PDF file I found for balancing 3-bladed props. This technique involves sanding the heavy blades - I prefer to use tape on the lighter blades - anyone else have insight on sanding vs tape?

http://www.phprc.net/images/RC_Aero_..._Technique.pdf

Jim
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:54 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc View Post
Here's a link to a PDF file I found for balancing 3-bladed props. This technique involves sanding the heavy blades - I prefer to use tape on the lighter blades - anyone else have insight on sanding vs tape?

http://www.phprc.net/images/RC_Aero_..._Technique.pdf

Jim
Hi Jim,

The sanding vs tape issue, it's quite a debate on many forums, however on our multicopters which use lightweight Abs props either 2 bladed or 3 bladed, i would never use the sanding method, i would always use the tape method.

You realy don't want to be taking off material off lightweight blades and making them weaker, and to be honest adding tape to the leading edge gives you a stronger blade, even if it's just a little stronger that helps a great deal.

I've seen people just putting tape on the top of the blade, whilst it seems to be good enough for most people, i think you should put it around the leading edge so it covers part of both sides of the blade, that way there will never be a chance of the tape lifting up whilst inflight, and it distributes the weight of the tape evenly on the blade.

Just my two cents from many, many years of rc'ing.

All the best

Danny
drmgcm is online now Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Pushing my Stealth Quad hard
http://vimeo.com/34317289
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
First FPV flight on a Stealth Quad

http://vimeo.com/34369182
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmgcm View Post
Hi Jim,

The sanding vs tape issue, it's quite a debate on many forums, however on our multicopters which use lightweight Abs props either 2 bladed or 3 bladed, i would never use the sanding method, i would always use the tape method.

Just my two cents from many, many years of rc'ing.

All the best

Danny
Thanks Danny - I just spent the evening balancing my new 3 bladed props and used tape - I've never used the sanding method, but most of the guides I read advised sanding. Another benefit to tape- if you put on too much, it's easy to remove - not so easy to put back material you sanded away!

Jim