Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisprolls View Post
hi
i do not understand
my cog is 46 cm from the front of the glider
not 42.5 cm like i saw
Before I started modifying, I made a note of the CG in stock configuration. Mine came out as 45.5 cm from the nose. After installation of RC gear it came out the same. I have not maidened yet, but I figure it's a good place to start.

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Old May 15, 2014, 10:47 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,543 Posts
I have found with swept wings like the Titan, it's easier for me to measure from the TE.
75mm to 90mm is where mine likes it and is not sensitive in that area. This is with the tail in the std position (checked against the wing for as neutral as possible with bubble level's) and approx 20oz auw.
Cool CG mark, Cheif ....looks good

Here's a post from a little while ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1365

Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old May 16, 2014, 06:01 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,969 Posts
Ray, I dont think I ever told you I learned to fly R/C on the Pilot Q B 25 Shoulder Wing trainer. I've had a tough to shoulder time of it ever since. LOL
Here in my plane bone yard of a garage I still have a Pilot Q B 25 Low wing fuse
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old May 16, 2014, 08:09 AM
Joined Sep 2013
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief141 View Post
Before I started modifying, I made a note of the CG in stock configuration. Mine came out as 45.5 cm from the nose. After installation of RC gear it came out the same. I have not maidened yet, but I figure it's a good place to start.

Tally Ho!
thanks for your answer

I was alone...
Chrisprolls is offline Find More Posts by Chrisprolls
Old May 17, 2014, 05:53 PM
Ooh! I am so very angry!
United States, WA, Carnation
Joined Jan 2012
247 Posts
Got the Maiden in

First of all I have a disclaimer: I have absolutely no glider experience. (Other than the time I pulled the red knob out too far on a Cessna. You full scale guys know what I mean) Out at the field I started out with a couple of chuck tests. The plane tracked straight with no tendency to pitch up or down, this was promising. I enlisted the help of a friend to fly my trusty QB15H tow plane and set up about 60' of tow line. The first thing I noticed was a tendency to Dutch Roll that got worse if the tow plane got too fast. At slower speeds it was controllable with rudder, but was also easy to get out of sync and over control. Once released I started to get a feel for the glide. I had to be careful not to turn too sharp as it would tend to drop a wing. The stabilator was effective, but I think I may be a tad tail heavy as it was easy to stall. We had a fairly brisk wind and the model is so light (11.5 oz AUW) it had trouble penetrating against it. Overall I'm quite pleased and I plan to add a small amount of weight to the nose and try again tomorrow.
Not being glider savvy, I've a question for those who are.
The Dutch Roll under tow concerns me a bit and I'm trying to get an idea for the cause.
Is it
A. Towing too fast?
B. Wing dihedral?
C. Tail heavy?
D. Tow hook location? 4" back from nose
E. All of the above?
Thanks!

Tally Ho!
SuperChief141 is offline Find More Posts by SuperChief141
Last edited by SuperChief141; May 17, 2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:07 AM
Joined Nov 2013
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
well gang if you are in canada it looks like the titans are back on the floor here in canada, ( my wally world ) has them in the POD this is the area that is close to the front of the store. i will be picking up a few on payday!!! for spare and for moding as well heheh
I realize this is an old thread, but I just picked 3 up on clearance for $6.49 each at Target in Bramalea. Not sure if this was just at this store or all Canada Targets, but I'm glad I stopped in to look.
BeerNWingz is offline Find More Posts by BeerNWingz
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:23 PM
Joined Oct 2005
261 Posts
$5 Kroger in Ohio.
PropSpinner is offline Find More Posts by PropSpinner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Springer Tug Build
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:14 AM
United States, NC, Winterville
Joined Jul 2014
55 Posts
I came across this thread after seeing some conversions on youtube...

I got my wife a yellow bee from harbor freight tonight, fully expecting it to crash tomorrow, but told her that some people are converting foam gliders into planes.

Some people have built some really nice looking planes here!

I'm hoping that I could use the 2 motors on the yellow bee without ailerons or elevators (heh, or rudder) and still have something that will fly... The slower the better. This will be a good platform to toss the 808 hd cam on and get some cool video while allowing her to learn the basics of flight.
Jmel is online now Find More Posts by Jmel
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:56 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Titan Toy Glider by Air Hogs - RC Conversions

It is good to see the soft, fragile foam glider toy is still available for purchase. I highly recommend taking the original fuselage of the glider toy and turning it into a build-over plug. That will make at least two options possible - thin foam shell copies and no worries about not finding another to convert to RC flight. There are other advantages like being able to take a thin foam shell copy and modifying it to any previously shown configuration, or something different. The other primary advantages are; the thin foam shell copy will be slightly larger, very lightweight, and less likely to explode into many small, un-repairable pieces during a hard landing, or worse. It is much easier to make changes to a design you like if you can make multiple copies using the same build-over plug than it is to start over with another foam glider toy made from easy to damage foam not designed for the higher weight of RC gear. Dang, I forgot to mention another huge advantage to making thin foam shell copies using a build-over plug - No need to hollow out the original foam fuselage since the thin shell foam copies are hollow and you can put any reinforcement deemed necessary wherever best.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Jul 21, 2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 05, 2014, 10:43 AM
Joined Nov 2013
51 Posts
It finally flies

After two previous botched attempts I finally got it right and got my Titan flying this past weekend.

This is the last minute or two of my maiden flight.

Air Hogs Titan Wing Spar Test (2 min 13 sec)

Build video is here. There is a section at the end highlighting what I needed to change to get it to fly.

Air Hogs Titan RC Conversion (fixed audio echo near end) (20 min 52 sec)

Maiden flights including failed attempts

Air Hogs Titan Maiden Flights with Crashes (12 min 7 sec)
BeerNWingz is offline Find More Posts by BeerNWingz
Last edited by BeerNWingz; Aug 07, 2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Changed URL for audio fixed build video and added maidens
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:37 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Titan Conversions to RC Park Flyers

Nice show and tell. Especially liked the parts about attempts and fixes. At least you were able to get the Air Hogs kits on sale.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah