Old Mar 06, 2010, 03:22 PM
Biplanes and Helicopters
USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
Discussion
Aerial Video Sled

Hi Guys,

About a year ago I bought a FlyCamOne2 and enjoyed getting video from my planes. Sometimes, when we had two or three aircraft in the air at the same time, I'd get some video of them flying, but usually very brief and pretty random. We made several attempts to fly slowly and around the same orbit, but the results were less than satisfactory.

3 weeks ago, my flying buddy Bob Gaver started towing a small missile around behind his plane, which was a hoot! It got me thinking, "Why couldn't I tow a camera sled around behind my plane and get video of it flying?"

I looked around on these forums and didn't find any advice or previous videos that were similar, so I set about building one of my own. The first was an utter failure! The second showed some promise.

The video below is the second iteration, 3rd revision of the AVS.

I think that a larger block camera or HD unit could be easily towed, given correctly sized AVS and some good video could result.

Let me know what you think. If enough people are interested, I'll be happy to share build details and some of the principles I've discovered along the way.

Simon

Aerial Video Sled AVS (Towed Chase Plane) (2 min 10 sec)
AtomicPunk is offline Find More Posts by AtomicPunk
Last edited by AtomicPunk; Mar 06, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2010, 03:55 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,363 Posts
Pretty cool! Shat exactly is a video sled? Show us some pictures of it!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Mar 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing but using one of those small walmart styro gliders and a keychain camera.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2010, 04:52 PM
Biplanes and Helicopters
USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
I've thought about doing the same thing but using one of those small walmart styro gliders and a keychain camera.
You should try it! As long as the wing loadings of the two vehicles are quite close it should work.

Simon
Old Mar 06, 2010, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,471 Posts
That actually was pretty cool. I think maybe you should use fishing line as the tow line. That way it doesn't show up as much in the video. Not sure what strength to use though.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:08 PM
WHOHH..You See That??
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
1,761 Posts
That was crazy cool!
qualcity is offline Find More Posts by qualcity
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:12 PM
Biplanes and Helicopters
USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
That actually was pretty cool. I think maybe you should use fishing line as the tow line. That way it doesn't show up as much in the video. Not sure what strength to use though.

- Jeff
Thanks, Jeff
What you see in the video is a lightweight music wire bridle, which is attached to about 10' of Fireline 10# fishing line attached to the tug. I tried it with fishing line all the way to the tug and it showed up worse under certain lighting angles. Plus it made the yaw oscillation somewhat worse.

Simon
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:13 PM
Biplanes and Helicopters
USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Joined Oct 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualcity View Post
That was crazy cool!
Thanks QC!
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:57 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
That's really creative! I like it.
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
Thanks, Jeff
What you see in the video is a lightweight music wire bridle, which is attached to about 10' of Fireline 10# fishing line attached to the tug. I tried it with fishing line all the way to the tug and it showed up worse under certain lighting angles. Plus it made the yaw oscillation somewhat worse.

Simon

Ah yes, I see that in the pictures. Wow, the tow lines look so much larger in the video than in the pictures. Is that metal fishing line I see attached to the pylon? I was thinking about clear filament line but maybe that's what it is. Either way, this is one of the best, new ideas I've seen in a while. (They need more smileys, I really wanted to put a thumbs up here.)

- Jeff
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Mar 06, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: grammer etc...
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:09 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,471 Posts
I was just thinking, what if you attached your lines to the wings? Same fashion as you are doing but it gets the attachment points wider in order to still the oscillations. Maybe experiment with different attachment points. I do think you've got the right idea though of having two attachment points on the sled going to a single line coming from the tow plane.

- Jeff
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to add gyros to it somehow to dampen the oscillations?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:02 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
Hi Guys,

Let me know what you think. If enough people are interested, I'll be happy to share build details and some of the principles I've discovered along the way.

Simon
I think that cool, I'm definitely interested.

Thanks
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Mar 07, 2010, 02:05 AM
Olathe, Kansas
Joined Mar 2009
272 Posts
Wow! Super smooth video. I like it. I've been experimenting as well. My rig is a Super cub, w/ a 2 ft glider, and key chain cam.

I'd like to build a tow plane like yours, got Directions?

Here's a video I made w/ the above rig...

Hobby Zone Super Cub towing small glider w/ onboard camera (4 min 38 sec)
Vegatron75 is offline Find More Posts by Vegatron75