HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:45 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGeno21 View Post
Main discharge leads from packs to board, then balance taps? I am assuming that as you don't want larger current flows blasting through the balance taps.

Do you do that THEN connect the board to the charger or do I connect the board to the charger as it always is then start connecting batteries to the board?

Thanks!!!
I connect (energize) the balance leads to the charger first, and then connect (energize) the discharge wires from the pack to the charger.

This is the recommended best practice on page 12 of the PL8 manual.

http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1437.pdf

Connecting all balance leads to a fused parallel board first makes perfect sense for the reasons Glen states above.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Last edited by Ohmic; Aug 14, 2014 at 05:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:48 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jul 2014
100 Posts
Thanks guys! Are your parallel boards hooked to the charger before you plug the packs into it or do you plug the packs into the board then plug the board into the charger?

And as far as charging faster than 2C my zippy flightmax say not to go over 2C charge rate.... I'm tempted to try 3c though...
PapaGeno21 is online now Find More Posts by PapaGeno21
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:14 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,600 Posts
Now that my new charge case is finished I'm leaving the balance adapters connected to the charger all the time as it's one less thing I need to setup/take down. I'm going to mount the boards with a small piece of velcro to hold them in place while in transport.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:14 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,583 Posts
I'm with Ohmic. I also leave my balance boards connected to my chargers all the time.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:59 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jul 2014
100 Posts
Yeah I always leave the boards or plugs attached, just making sure that is ok as I connect batteries to it. Then again, it won't see a spike in voltage or anything so that makes sense.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:41 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,600 Posts
I updated my post above to more clearly reflect that I energize the balance leads to the charger before energizing the charger with the discharge leads.

It's so nice that all the better balance boards today have the little pico fuses on them and the heat sensitive material so they protect us and we can see if there's an issue.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:23 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jul 2014
100 Posts
Did my first parallel charge today. Worked great except one pack had a cell at 4.19 and the other was at 4.21 when I checked them after they were done. I can just terminate them around 4.18 and it should be fine that is not a big issue.

Going to try that tomorrow actually. As it is I am getting 16-18 mins of run time on a 5000mah 5S pack in this truck, so even if i lose 1 min of driving time by shutting down at 4.18-4.19v I will sacrifice that to be able to save 20 mins of charge time to do them in parallel vs one at a time.

Man this PL8 is rocking so far. I hope this thing continues to work this well and I will be a happy camper. You can just tell it is a quality unit when it is doing its thing.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:58 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGeno21 View Post
Man this PL8 is rocking so far. I hope this thing continues to work this well and I will be a happy camper. You can just tell it is a quality unit when it is doing its thing.
Glad you're enjoying your PL8. I had two of the very first PL8's (V1's), two Multi 4's, and now a Dual PowerLab 8x2 and I've never had a problem with any of them.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:59 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,123 Posts
These units are Rock Solid....

fred
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:41 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jul 2014
100 Posts
I am only hoping it is as good and reliable as everyone says. My PL6 dieing within five mins of its first charge made me skeptical to even get another. But it's an electronic device and things happen so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and hoping that unit was just one of the rare flukes.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:20 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,600 Posts
I've been following this thread regularly since it started on 1/15/2010, over 4.5 years ago and failures have been extremely rare.

I just got back on Sunday from competing in the AMA NATS and attending IRCHA, the largest R/C helicopter event in the world. I was there for nine days and the only charger I brought was my trusty DPL8x2.

In the past I've owned as many as 5-6 different chargers at any given time, but since the PL8 and DPL8x2 are so versatile and reliable the DPL8x2 has replaced all of them. I use it for everything from 1s 650mAh packs to 6s 5000mAh packs.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:14 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jul 2014
100 Posts
Great to hear. Gonna try another parallel charge after work ending at 4.185 and see how that does with these packs. I bet it cuts a lot of time off the charge and most likely I won't notice it with the drive time.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:02 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,600 Posts
Are you using the "Fast" preset? I'd recommend starting with that preset and lowering the termination voltage from there.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:02 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
I've been following this thread regularly since it started on 1/15/2010, over 4.5 years ago and failures have been extremely rare.

I just got back on Sunday from competing in the AMA NATS and attending IRCHA, the largest R/C helicopter event in the world. I was there for nine days and the only charger I brought was my trusty DPL8x2.

In the past I've owned as many as 5-6 different chargers at any given time, but since the PL8 and DPL8x2 are so versatile and reliable the DPL8x2 has replaced all of them. I use it for everything from 1s 650mAh packs to 6s 5000mAh packs.
Yep. Have a charge case with a 24V 47A dual server supply setup feeding a PL6 with permanently connected MPA board with 24V. The 12V taps from the supply run to a 4 way splitter from Progressive RC which has several Multi4 units plugged in. Great flexibility to charge or discharge many packs at one time all in one Harbor Freight toolbox. (Of course I don't fly the pack sizes you do yet either).
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:29 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,600 Posts
I used two Multi4's for years and I'm sorry I sold them. They are great little chargers and small enough I just kept mine it in my flight box. At the field I just powered it from my cigarette lighter and kept the power supply on the bench for use at home.