HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:08 PM
United States, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Build Log
Foam Cessna 310...well, Kinda Sorta!!

I recently bought a Dynam Grand Cruiser from Grayson Hobbies and decided to see if I could make a smaller version of it using Depron and blue insulation foam.
I took measurements from the Dynam model and started to scale it out to 70%. This gave a main wing span of 36 inches and with the tip tanks it comes to just shy of 40 inches.
I did not make any 'formal' plans but just started laying out my rough outlines on foam and cut to fit.. I did use a central horizontal foam 'crutch' down the middle of the plane and put two formers, one at wing leading edge and one at trailing edge.and glued sides to the crutch. I put 3/4 inch foam on top and bottom of the front portion of the fuse and from the cabin back I use 3/4 for the top and put a piece of depron on the bottom. The windshield area is a piece of 1 inch thick foam.
The wing is made of a piece of 6mm Depron with a carbon tube spar about 3/4 of wing span. There is also a foam spar added behind the carbon tube to add height to the wing.. The wing actuall tapers from about 3/4 inch at the wing center down to just the thickness of the top and bottom foam at the tips. The wing top surface is Dollar Tree foam (about 3/16 inch). I used Gorilla glue and hot glue for the main assembly. The airfoil is formed by uses of one rib at center line and the spar that tapers to nothing at the tips!
The pictures you see below are what I had done in just a day and a half of working on it..the bigger plane in the background is the Dynam Grand Cruiser..basically a late model Cessna 310! It is made from EPO foam and comes as an ARF..or RTF.
I hope to use a 3s 1800mAh pack and maybe 2212-10 motors or some equivelant motors..about 1350-1500 Kv. I will only use aileron and elevator for contol and I am not installing gear..it will hand launch and belly land!! I will use two bladed counter rotating props.
If there is enough interest, I will try and do some drawings and maybe some photos of how I built this thing.
If you have any questions, give me a shout.
Wayne
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Last edited by orvie6; Oct 28, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:12 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
686 Posts
Wow that looks great, good job!
nstaller is online now Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
The cowling you see in the pictures are cut down from the ParkZone Citabria. The actual 310 nacells are not very 'tall', but had to do some fudging in order to allow room for my motors.. From the top of the cowl to where I cut it off is about 2 inches..I made the bottom of the nacells part of the wing bottom. From the leading edge to the front of the cowl I added a secong piece of 6mm depron and used that to 'round out' the bottom profile.
I only tack glued the top of the nacells on since I will need to get access to the inside when I install my motors and esc.. I may end up making a hatch there for latter access..
Also, I plan on glueing the wing on, since the plane is not that big..And, the battery compartment goes from the wing spar forward for about 4 inches.. I think this will come close to balancing out with a 1800 mAh 3 cell pack.
Wayne
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:36 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,648 Posts
wayne really nice looking 310 . From Scratch in a day and a half wow nice job . Ahhh the days with no kids and a whole day and a half to myself
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:57 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Wayne, It would be great to see some plans from you. I would love to build one of these but there is no way I could pull that off by myself. ~Wingnut13
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:24 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,239 Posts
Very NICE !!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:21 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Well guys, I have started another one and hope to get more measurements and make up some drawings for you and take some pictures of the build. Remember, this will require some LAR engineering to get it right! As you can see, this is a 'Sorta Scale' plane, so in my mind..if it 'Looks About Right'..then it is right!!! I have enough Depron to build the fuselage, but will have to wait for awhile to get enough to build the wing and stab. Will try and get some pictures for you tomorrow..
Stay tuned!!
Wayne
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to change this thread to a 'Build Log'?? Think since I am doing more detail work on it and putting drawings up..it is no longer a 'Discussion' thread!
Thanks
Wayne
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
How to build a sorta scale Cessna 310 from foam!

Well, I still need to get the actual drawings done up and scanned so I can put them on here, but basically finished another 310 fusalage today. I took some pictures so you will have some idea of how I built this. In picture #1 below you can see the main spine for the fuse. I made some cutouts for acess and lightnes and added my formers. As you can see, there is not a lot of formers or complicated parts in the spine. Most of the top and bottom of the plane is made from 3/4 inch foam, so that adds strength to it. The slanted 'box' you see is for the battery. On my original version, the battery sits on the spine, but cant move it too far rearward because of the wing spar, so I made this one with an angled battery compartment so the battery can extend back past the spar if need be.
Last edited by orvie6; Oct 23, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Pictures 3,4 and 5 show more detail fo the spine. The elevator servo will sit near the real former and mounts from the bottom. For the servo mounts, I used popsicle sticks! The nyrod for the control goes thru the former and out the side of the fuse.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Photo #6 shows the two fuselage sides. In picture #7, I have glued on the left side. #8 shows the rear of the side piece. You will notice that the stab will mount on the spine. The last three show both sides mounted.
Last edited by orvie6; Oct 18, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:58 AM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Impressive! I wish I had the talent to whip up something like that. Thanks for the pictures. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! ~wingnut13
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:05 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,134 Posts
very nice. Subscribed. Always wanted to do a 310. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
I still have not made up the drawings for this plane yet, but will show you more of the fuse constuction. The first picture below shows the pink foam nose top and bottom pieces. The top one has a few slits in it to help it bend. The upper piece has a slight bend from front of windshield to nose. The bottom piece is a straight piece, but will be carved to a rounded shape toward the nose of the airplane.
You will need to get the top nose pieces rounded first befor you install the foam block for the windsceen! It is much easier to form the windshield after you have the contour right on the body of the plane.
The next series of pictures show more of the foam in place and show how I started carving in the rounded shape.. Just take your time and try to make both sides match as best as you can. Remember, this is not a contest plane, so you are allowed to 'fudge' a little to get the shape you want. As you will recall, this was built with the LAR engineering method.. 'Looks About Right'!!
Last edited by orvie6; Oct 19, 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Here are some picutes of the mostly completed fuselage. First shows the battery compartment, next shows battery in place and third is the 1/8 inch depron battery hatch. The rear of the battery compartment will be in the front part of the wing also. The other pics are of this fuselage along with the prototype airplane.
It will be a few days (like next month!!) befor I have the materials to complete the wing and motor sections, so hope you dont get too discouraged in the mean time.
Now to sit down and make the drawings for this thing.. I built it with just a few sketches on scrap paper and drawing the parts out on the foam and then cut it!!! Sorry, just a habit I have from most of my 'designs'..LOL
If you have any questions, dont be afraid to give me a PM.. I will try and answer.
Wayne