HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 02:16 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,478 Posts
If you guys are looking for the best charger for the money then this one is pretty much unbeatable: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

It's a quality 300 Watt / 20 Amp charger for about the same price as you might pay for a 50W / 5A charger. It's also got pretty good discharge power rating compared to the 50W chargers which are a bit of a joke in that area (usually 5W). The only problem is that it's such a good deal that they sell out real quick so you have to act fast when stock arrives.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 08:53 AM
United States, IN, Martinsville
Joined Mar 2014
61 Posts
For my money I recommend this HK Charger:

HobbyKing Quattro 4x6S LiPo Multi-Charger

I own two of them. One is set up to use at home with my RC Boat batteries and the other is set up to plug into the accessory plug in the rear of my Suburban for use at the flying field. For $89.95 you can charge/balance/fast charge/storage charge/discharge up to four batteries at once. It has the same electronics as the Hitec and some other chargers, just in a different package. I also have the USB interface connected to my laptop so I can monitor and graph charging/discharging/balancing as needed. I am dabbling in selling some LiPo's on ebay, so the USB interface allows me to test the new batteries to confirm proper performance prior to shipping out to my customers.

Four ports is probably overkill for some, but you never know when someone else at the field can use some help with a dead battery, unbalanced, etc. I enjoy being able to recharge and fly multiple times on a battery in one day and assist my fellow club members if needed.

-Jeff
Old_RC_Guy is offline Find More Posts by Old_RC_Guy
Old Today, 09:02 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,068 Posts
How do you test batteries with this? Does it show IR? Thanks.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Today, 09:26 AM
Joined Jan 2014
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_RC_Guy View Post
For my money I recommend this HK Charger:

HobbyKing Quattro 4x6S LiPo Multi-Charger

Four ports is probably overkill for some, but you never know when someone else at the field can use some help with a dead battery, unbalanced, etc. I enjoy being able to recharge and fly multiple times on a battery in one day and assist my fellow club members if needed.

-Jeff
+1 on the HK 4x6S charger. I've been using one for the last 6 months as my primary charger, along with an HK 350W PSU, and it's very good.

For the Apprentice you can have four 3300 3S cells on charge at 1C rate ready to go in 45mins (dependent on discharge state). You can also push the boat out and just about charge four 4000mah 3S cells at 1C within the channel power limit.

That way, your charge rate is nice and low (for cell health) and you still get four packs/hour charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Cow View Post
Thanks I might go with the hobbyking cheapo to get me going with the apprentice. The hitec's look really nice. I think I am either going to go for the hitec touch or the new team orion duo charger in the near future though, The only thing I don't like about those two is they don't come with the jst and xt60 adapters for my other needs. The hitec has hardly any connectors that come with it. I am looking at this cable to supplement those needs I think it should work on either one http://www.amazon.com/Colossus-RC-Ch...183856&sr=1-12
If you can wield a soldering iron half competently you can make up your own cables from items purchased along with the charger from HK. XT60 connectors, cable and the banana plugs are all available at a reasonable cost.

I created a set of 4 banana-XT60 cables and balance cable extensions to make life easier getting all four LiPos into the LiPo safe bags.
WoodyInMD is offline Find More Posts by WoodyInMD
Old Today, 01:19 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
How do you test batteries with this? Does it show IR? Thanks.
No it (the HK 4x6S) doesn't do I.R so you cant test batteries with it, but the Reaktor does have that facility. The Reaktor is also cheaper but has six times the charge power per channel and 50% more in total, which has got to be worth thinking about. The Reaktor is in fact just an iCharger 206b in a different case, and the iCharger has an excellent reputation.

The Reaktor will charge a 3000mAh battery in about 15 minutes (at 3-4c) or four of them in parallel in significantly less time than the HK 4x6S charger takes. This is because the Reaktor has a healthy 20A 300W output rather than being limited to the 50W per channel / 200W total of the 4x6S.

But it's horses for courses. Multi output chargers have certain advantages especially if you want to charge different cell count batteries simultaneously. The Reaktor is only single output and while it has more power in that one output than the 4x6S has in all four, the fact that it's a single output does limit flexibility somewhat.

Where the Reaktor really scores is if you were charging larger batteries, the 50W output of the 4x6S really does get very restrictive with bigger batteries.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer