Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
390 Posts
Sounds really promising. Can't wait to get my built when I have time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
@Boris,
With the Z15 connected, all ports are in use. But if you have the data link connected, you get all the info the LED gives you also in the Groundstation (how many statelites, even much better, you see where the copter is, and where the copter is heading).

Yesterday I had maiden with the S800 and two 6S8000 Tunergy Zippies just taped on the Frame without landing legs, and I was really impressed. great stability, great efficiency (I did fly almost 30 min). There are vibes on the arms, but from my 14" Props on my quads I know that it is almost impossible to get rid of "all vibes" as used on a 8" or 10" prop. So to me this just flew great out of the box (gains were at 200/200/150/180).

Just right now I was out for the maiden with the Z15(+Sony Nex5n) and one 6S8000, really really great I got 13min flighttime. Video in preperation.

So I have been trying a lot of frames in the past, but this one... Well done!
(For my personal taste the frame is a little too convenient and could be a little more lightweight)
This is good stuff!

best regards

Ferdinand
shdwkeeper is online now Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Jun 2011
50 Posts
Sorry for delay.
Here are the photos I sent to DJI. Unfortunately they ignored them.
Anyway I have decided not to let it bother me anymore. I have ordered some ball links and will mod the braces as soon as they arrive.
I'm just astounded that for the money this issue would not be dealt with.
Anyway onwards. I'm looking forward to my Zenmuse arriving.
Eoghan
Eoghan is offline Find More Posts by Eoghan
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts
I really can not follow the "money"-point. Just take a look on the web, choose a big CF-Hex-frame (typically a landing gear is not included) take six low KV motors of that class, six Esc able to deal with 6S, 6 CF-15" props, and you are not far away from 2000$. Then you need a lot of your time to screw everything together and to solder all the leads. I might be totally uninformed about current motor, Escs, prop prices, but I think that I am not.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghan View Post
Sorry for delay.
Here are the photos I sent to DJI. Unfortunately they ignored them.
Anyway I have decided not to let it bother me anymore. I have ordered some ball links and will mod the braces as soon as they arrive.
I'm just astounded that for the money this issue would not be dealt with.
Anyway onwards. I'm looking forward to my Zenmuse arriving.
Eoghan
Hi Eoghan,

I think you are getting at the bent rods. Try to shift the the mounting point/screws a little were the booms are attach to the landing gear if that dosent help I think its simple that the rods you got are just a little to long.

Otherwise the approach of Photoship with the washer if there it to mush strain on the connection is a good work around, but i guess it dosent apply directly to your problem.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=11

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
I really can not follow the "money"-point. Just take a look on the web, choose a big CF-Hex-frame (typically a landing gear is not included) take six low KV motors of that class, six Esc able to deal with 6S, 6 CF-15" props, and you are not far away from 2000$. Then you need a lot of your time to screw everything together and to solder all the leads. I might be totally uninformed about current motor, Escs, prop prices, but I think that I am not.

best regards

Ferdinand
Agree and in most cases yo don't have the ability in no time to disassemble the whole bird pack it into a small box and all is good and ready for travel. CF frames in general might be to expensive. But the s800 is certainly for what you get on design and development work in the background the cheaper approach than some other common CF frames out there !

Boris
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
50 Posts
Hi EndOfDays,
Perhaps I'm not being clear enough. It's not about the price of the S800 compared to other frames. I understand that there are more expensive frames out there.
My point is that if I spend a significant amount of money on an advertised product I expect that it will perform as advertised. I just naively presumed that the landing gear would perform the task it was designed for. It doesn't and therefore needs to be modded. Fine. It's just surprising that's all. Dji make some great products and they have my support. It just seems the braces weren't very well thought out.
As I have said I love the S800 other than this.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
50 Posts
Sorry Boris,
I didn't see your reply until just now. Yeah I have moved some stuff around and not been really happy with the results, but I'm perfectly happy to do the mod. It's really not the end of the world.
I agree with you. I think my rods are too long. I have ordered some CF rods that I will cut to size.
Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
DJI S800 Crash

DJI S800 last Saturday, 06.16.2012 at photo flight suddenly absturz.Der S800 with the same Konfigaration Gimbal AV130 + Sony Nex7 (waiting for Zenmuse) 2x6S 6600mAh Thunder Power has about 15 flights from behind without Probleme.Auf an altitude of about 70Meter air temperature 31Crad of a sudden total failure.
Flight time 3.15Minuts battery was fully batteries with new S800 Has anybody bought a solution to the problem better, I am still the cause.. A new S800 stands ready, but would first like to know before even cause a crash excuse my bad english
goairswiss is offline Find More Posts by goairswiss
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts
@goairswiss

If you have a sudden loss of power, my guess would be the connectors.

best regards
Ferdinand
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts
I thought the S800 is also worth a video:

DJI S800 test-flight (5 min 8 sec)

best regards

Ferdinand
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
I wonder if the retractable landing gear is coming out soon and that's why they are reluctant to come up with a fix for this because it's being fixed on the new landing gear? Wish they would say something though.

Robert had said he heard from DJI that all current s800 owners will get the retractable landing gear. Ive also seen other people say this in the previous thread that was locked. If their smart they will ship the battery tray and new landing gear together.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goairswiss View Post
DJI S800 last Saturday, 06.16.2012 at photo flight suddenly absturz.Der S800 with the same Konfigaration Gimbal AV130 + Sony Nex7 (waiting for Zenmuse) 2x6S 6600mAh Thunder Power has about 15 flights from behind without Probleme.Auf an altitude of about 70Meter air temperature 31Crad of a sudden total failure.
Flight time 3.15Minuts battery was fully batteries with new S800 Has anybody bought a solution to the problem better, I am still the cause.. A new S800 stands ready, but would first like to know before even cause a crash excuse my bad english
I didn't have any crashes with the s800. I just got a little worried about the temps of the ESCs one. I took the bird in a calm area and just let is hover to 10 min barely pushing it around. I had the gains on the radio and brought them down as far as i could just to get a picture what the gains range is that can deal with and to get rid of the harsh leveling.

After the flight i touched the ESCs and i was a little worried about the temps. The bottom plate were the ESCs were on were hot to the pain level which means probably around 70 to 80 C.

Before i flew the S800 in a field with high winds and i was pushing it around to figure out it max. After that flight the ESCs didn't show any dramatic temps.

So i am confused a little and would suspect that a total failure could be do to the ESC temp.

Have you kept an eye on the temps of the ESCs ?

Boris
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,810 Posts
S800 conversion kit for 3X Pro v2 camera gimbal. Uses factory S800 landing legs. Working on mounting plate next week. No need for retracts as the landing gear rotates in pan with gimbal.

Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:35 PM
France, Pyrénées Orientales
Joined Feb 2009
423 Posts
Hello

I think the S800 is a beautiful bird but I'm not completely satisfied.

1 - I have the same problem to fix the landing gear, I send an email to the company DJI with photos , the answer (there is no problem with , you incorrectly installed the landing gear ) !!!

I find this response Olé Olé after spending 2000 euro

2 - no battery support

3 - blades not balanced with different weights and impossible to balance at the hub

4 - heavy frame but not necessarily strong

5 - too much vibration in arm motor

6 - too much température Ecs

After several flights I observed that the motor vibrate much moving from a few mm !!!

If both arms side by side to vibrate together, the blades can touch them easily.

Just my analysis

jdm66
jdm66 is offline Find More Posts by jdm66
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
DJI S800 Crash

totally fail before the three acoustic set a 12min flight time flown and have some good photos taken by an event. I always fly with a good feeling. own 5 x Dji wookoong 2x and 3x S800 Ace one and I have two Zenmuse in preoder. had the luck it has not been injured persons. Otherwise, call our company would be destroyed. I think the regulators are overheated else had never problems with a product-dji.
goairswiss is offline Find More Posts by goairswiss