HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,138 Posts
Hex

Upup

This is my Hex compared to my Iphone 4,it's 3.750 lbs with the 3s3000mah lipo ,w/o the lipo maybe a little lower but,it has alot of power .
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x batbone project
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Feb 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
Upup

This is my Hex compared to my Iphone 4,it's 3.750 lbs with the 3s3000mah lipo ,w/o the lipo maybe a little lower but,it has alot of power .
DT750 motors? Flight time?
pabmadi is offline Find More Posts by pabmadi
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:06 AM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Acc calibration, aka sensor calibration, only needs to be done once. This sets up the models view of where down is.

Gyro calibration is done at every arming and sets up the "no rotation" point.

The acc is accurate, but slow and prone to vibration noise, but the readings are absolute. The gyro provides accurate information that is prone to drift ( if you do a 360 it may be off by +-10. The other problem with the gyro is that the zero point can chance during flight, this will lead to a constant bias in readings ( the unit now always thinks its rolling to the left and will correct to the right ).

Most quad leveling systems use gyros for real time rotational information, they are the only ones that can do it quick enough. The trick that 1.4 uses is to continually recenter where down is via the acc information when the quad is within 20 degrees of level, but it takes a second.

So if self level caused a dart to the right one of two things is happening. You didn't give the craft enough time to find its bearings after doing sport flying ( unlikely ) or your gyro zero point had shifted during flight causing gyro bias. Either way the results are better and more stable under 1.4 then they would have been under 1.2.

Shifting of the gyro set point during flight is a known limitation of the hardware. For now if you sense that the unit is biasing then land and rearm. I am personally trying to find a LP filter than can deal with the small numbers in the error ( difference between acc and gyro ) and feed them back into the zero point so that in flight gyro drift bias can be correct as well, but so far the testing has shown I have a lot to learn about the algorithms.

TL;DR. only the gyro is calibrated at arming, the acc is calibrated once. Gyro drift can be corrected by 1.4, but not gyro bias.
Much thanks, that explains it very well. So it's more for level flight control/photo taking than a "get out of jail" I don't know where up is anymore!!
barfy is offline Find More Posts by barfy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Hey KK,

Nice improvements with FW V1.4 well done I know you are one busy person but this needs to be updated on post one for all to see.

Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:24 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,830 Posts
The ease of use was amazing on this new FW... Im a plane guy and had some spare parts I threw together for a Tri... a few min of adjusting settings and it was flying...

Too bad my Multi rotor skills are poor... After 6 crashes i finally broke a prop... two more crashes and I broke an arm... It was fun while it lasted... back to planes (OA2) since that is really why I got the board.

Great product though!

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:25 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfy View Post
Much thanks, that explains it very well. So it's more for level flight control/photo taking than a "get out of jail" I don't know where up is anymore!!
It's a $30 board and for many people it can be a fully sufficient "get out of jail", you just have to be careful about gyro bias on a case by case basis. ( Don't try it without testing! )

As I mentioned it may be possible to correct for bias as well, but I are not there yet.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:29 AM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
856 Posts
KK2 1.4 rate mode.

No fancy flying here, coz I'm not that good yet and don't wanna break the cam or quad for that matter.

KK2 with 1.4FW (5 min 14 sec)

KK2 1.4 Self level mode (night)

I was literally millimeters away from the wall here and had little to worry about as it's so easy to fly in SL mode with 1.4.

I was killing the bugs that were around the flood light lol

X525 Night fly with KK2.0 1.4FW Self Level (1 min 32 sec)

A huge thanks goes out to the Captain for his hard work in getting this 1.4 fw out and for it being amazing, well done sir.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:32 AM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
It's a $30 board and for many people it can be a fully sufficient "get out of jail", you just have to be careful about gyro bias on a case by case basis. ( Don't try it without testing! )

As I mentioned it may be possible to correct for bias as well, but I are not there yet.
I disagree strongly there! I always try BEFORE testing! ............... after crashing I then go "Oh, . should have tested that" Thanks again,
barfy is offline Find More Posts by barfy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:34 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Firmware 1.4 is absolutely amazing. You have complete control authority at self-level...

Who needs openpilot revolution if you have the KK2 v1.4 board.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Firmware 1.4 is absolutely amazing. You have complete control authority at self-level...

If we only had a magnometer for yaw correction it would be just about perfect.

( evil thought, if using CPPM mode I could bit bang an i2c attached magnometer. Anyone know if there are solder points for additional A/D I/O lines on the KK board? )

So that makes my to-do ( crashing list )

1. Gimbal support
2. Proper LP filter to correct gyro bias
3. Magnometer
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post

Dead right there but i will see how it goes on my Tricopter today

Barry
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfy View Post
I disagree strongly there! I always try BEFORE testing! ............... after crashing I then go "Oh, . should have tested that" Thanks again,
Fly first, Crash first, ask questions later.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
bubble levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
Very nice fleet my friend....thanks for posting ...they are very cool looking multi-rotors.
if you noticed on each of them there are 2 bubble level vials epoxied to the upper plate and I use them when I'm setting the bird on the ground and getting ready for flight. I level them every time so no suprizes on take off. Trim settings stay the same and they take off nice and level, part of the reason I don't use self level. Each of them have over 200 flighs since this spring. I'm retired so I fly when ever I have a day where the weather permits.
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Quote:
If we only had a magnometer for yaw correction it would be just about perfect.

( evil thought, if using CPPM mode I could bit bang an i2c attached magnometer. Anyone know if there are solder points for additional A/D I/O lines on the KK board? )

So that makes my to-do ( crashing list )

1. Gimbal support
2. Proper LP filter to correct gyro bias
3. Magnometer
PM Happy Sunday he would know.

Barry
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, AL, Guntersville
Joined Apr 2007
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
First make sure you have Java installed.

On my Windows 7 x64 I had to manually add the environment variable in Windows for the path to the Java EXE. otherwise the command window would just flash open and close as it couldn't find the runtime path.
Will you please post exactly how to do that? I have 1.2 on my KK2 but want to put 1.4 on.I just upgraded to a Win 7, 64 bit PC and I have IE 9 which is 32 bit.I cannot get the path right.I flashed from 1.1 to 1.2 with no problems on an old XP 32 bit machine but I no longer have it.Do I need Java 64 as well as 32?
Many thanks,partzee
partzee is offline Find More Posts by partzee