HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:36 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,351 Posts
thats pretty kewl, I have often thought about RC planes towing banners!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:06 AM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
more banner

just had to share this, .. for a light weight baton i used lexan, however, i did not have one long enough, so i Sewed 2 pieces together.. ( who would have thought ) so to tally everything up, my wife bought the sheet for about 6 bucks, 2 wood dowels, for 2 bucks, some steel leader 25 cents, and?? some time, about $9 i will have a 23 foot banner, i just hope it fly's good..

( for my next project, i just might take on wing bags?? ) never thought i would have fun sewing..
bandit357 is offline Find More Posts by bandit357
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
Done

just finished installing a release for the tow line.. i cant wait to test it, my mind is going crazy thinking of what i can pull or drop... humm. i can tell you it sure was more work than i thought. you can see i used 2 horns, and a block of plywood, and soaked the wood with CA.

tomorrow is the day for the first test.. wish me luck..
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
test went OK

tested the banner today, winds were blowing about 15 mph, 90 degrees to the runway, 2nd flight the cable got caught on the tail wheel, now i know WHY you don't attach a banner to the tail wheel, its kind of like the tail wagin the dog.. then for the last 2 fights i flew the 16 foot banner ( didnt have enough guts to add the last 8 Ft.) I did discover that i have a little power to spare, so next week will be the full 23 foot banner, then i need to figure out how to put letters on it. also went to Walmart to attach badmitten birds to the tail for drag and try and stop the tail from flapping so hard. kind of like drag chutes. i will post pics when they send them to me..

the COOL factor is WAY UP on this..
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
pics

here are the pics, thanks Mark Erwin
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:28 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,351 Posts
that is pretty killer! looks good!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
oops today

okay, OOPS, dead stick landing oh boy.. she came down hard, and it bent the landing gear... i didn't quite make the runway, so she plopped down hard. the good new is i was able to bend them back, let me tell you, it takes a lot to bend this landing gear..
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
When towing that banner be careful of crazy maneuvers and what not, if the banner gets caught in the motor you'll have a nasty deadstick
Ragersdiary is offline Find More Posts by Ragersdiary
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
New toy

almost ready to fly, rearwin speedster, bought it from John here on RC groups, i have no idea what kit it is, i did add the correct ( close as i can) stripes, now she looks like a Rearwin speedster. BTW, this baby has a DL 50cc in front, should be pretty fun in the air. i should be taking her up this weekend.