HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
478 Posts
I just got my first EDF 50mm F-22 from BH all assembled and ready for its maiden flight tomorrow morning.
I have my DX6i all setup. What expo should I program for my first flight? And any suggestion on hand launch? I'm planning to use the "fly out of the hand" like Pete does on the F-22 video.
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
I just got my first EDF 50mm F-22 from BH all assembled and ready for its maiden flight tomorrow morning.
I have my DX6i all setup. What expo should I program for my first flight? And any suggestion on hand launch? I'm planning to use the "fly out of the hand" like Pete does on the F-22 video.
Just use settings you are comfortable with on other planes as far as expo goes. I never use it but thats what I am comfortable with.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, KY, Cecilia
Joined Jun 2012
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
Flying EDF's and Jet's are very different from prop planes! Things happen fast and they like to be flown fast! I have yet to see a rookie have any success with EDF's. I have helped save a few to say the least! Most will crash on the landing approach...come in too slow and tip stall or too fast and end up forcing it down and destroying the landing gear. I agree that a U2 would be a great EDF trainer with that huge wing!
You said stay away from twins? but the A-10 is an awesome edf with hardly any bad tendancies. have only been flying for 2 and have years and yes lost a few edfs. purchase a good sim for sure.but the A-10s great flying edf would be a great trainer. have 2 and not lost em yet knock on wood
drats is offline Find More Posts by drats
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:11 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
926 Posts
Can I go faster with an edf than a standard prop for the same power? I am looking for the max pitch speed not for the acceleration...

I am looking to build a scratchbluid (my own design). Less than 800W, faster than a funjet. Shaped like blizzard
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156 View Post
Can I go faster with an edf than a standard prop for the same power? I am looking for the max pitch speed not for the acceleration...

I am looking to build a scratchbluid (my own design). Less than 800W, faster than a funjet. Shaped like blizzard

With the correct prop and motor selection the prop will almost always give more performance for the same amount of input power.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:06 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Just use settings you are comfortable with on other planes as far as expo goes. I never use it but thats what I am comfortable with.
Dido, I have a light touch and like sensitive controls. I tried some expo with my DX7 and didn't like it. Just made the control more numb. I like making small little corrections instantly with a small stick movement. I blame using a DX5e for 2 years.
It might be a bit OCD but I also hate trim. I land it and start turning adjusters until I'm happy that the plane will fly right lol
Also dual rates. Never use it.
I guess I only need a computer radio for model memory and aux channel programming for the most part...
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Last edited by Ispintechno; Jul 03, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,525 Posts
Well technically this won't be my first EDF, a club member gave me a Diablo to mess around with, it was a lot of fun, docile once I got it in the air, though I had to run it WOT to get anywhere. Then when I thought I had hit LVC earlier than expected due to WOT, turns out the brushed motor died about 150 feet up and I glided it in safely. That club member and I are taking the Diablo brushless as a result.

Anyway, another flying buddy has an HK/HobbyLobby stinger and loves it. Tempted to get one but don't really want to copycat my buddy

Hobbypeople has the Phase 3 F-16 on sale this month for a really good price. Have read oblique references that it's a sweetheart to learn on for a while and am really temped to jump on it. I also know I can hop it up hugely afterwards, though that's less of an issue for me.

Have also seen that the Hobby Lobby panther is considered well behaved, almost bought one used from a guy at an event this summer.

Also interested in an A-10, research says the HC Hobby one available from killerplanes.com is likely the best bet for me since I fly off close-cropped grass and would like any A-10 I buy not to require handlaunch. Don't mind handlaunching the other potential options but the A-10 I'd like to ROG and I know A-10 retracts and grass don't mix well.

Any tips between these models? I fly a PZ Wildcat and T-28, as well as a little messing around with an EPP Yak and the micro 3d Beast.

edit: oh and have a proper radio, DX6i and Dx7s.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
684 Posts
I loved reading this thread. I have been flying on/ off for years but my last break has been over 6 months. I saw a Mirage 2000 for sale and brought it on a whim. It is still in the hanger waiting to be maidened. I will wait until I am ready to fly the beast. Can not rush some things. I hope to finally get behind the sticks soon and eventually toss the mirage into the air for that first time.Also brought a Vampire and can not wait to get her up but time is my friends and thats time behind the sticks again.
Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:08 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38 View Post
Do not attempt to mix a smoothie in the intake duct of your airplane between flights.
Besides the fact that the above comment is awesome, it reminded me of an additional EDF function - they make GREAT leaf blowers. Cleaned out my driveway and garage with the Habu in minutes today. Lovin' it.
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
I don't see the big deal. I learned to fly on a freewing f-15. Had over 100 flights before retiring it in one very grazed piece. Deadstick landings didn't require me to be a "special pilot", just a basic understanding of how a plane flies. Never used a sim. I don't think i'm wonderful or gifted, just thought about what i was doing. Don't be put off by people who want you to believe that what they can do you won't be able to.
foordini10 is offline Find More Posts by foordini10
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foordini10 View Post
I don't see the big deal. I learned to fly on a freewing f-15. Had over 100 flights before retiring it in one very grazed piece. Deadstick landings didn't require me to be a "special pilot", just a basic understanding of how a plane flies. Never used a sim. I don't think i'm wonderful or gifted, just thought about what i was doing. Don't be put off by people who want you to believe that what they can do you won't be able to.
Yeah i agree, some people pick up the skill quicker than others. I know some very talented novice pilots and some very mediocre experienced pilots. But generally speaking novice pilots should be a bit more aware of how to control a plane and its behaviour before attempting edf's, just to save themselves some money for repairs. Saying that, the Freewing F-15 Eagle has to be the easiest plane i have ever fown, and makes a great edf trainer.
sniper1 is offline Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
Yeah i agree, some people pick up the skill quicker than others. I know some very talented novice pilots and some very mediocre experienced pilots. But generally speaking novice pilots should be a bit more aware of how to control a plane and its behaviour before attempting edf's, just to save themselves some money for repairs. Saying that, the Freewing F-15 Eagle has to be the easiest plane i have ever fown, and makes a great edf trainer.
Well put.
foordini10 is offline Find More Posts by foordini10
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
My first edf was the RedCat Racing F-18. I had trouble with it at first, but bought a ParkZone Stratos, learned to fly, then fixed the F-18 and tried again. The second time it flew great from a hand launch. I've just bought a Golden Eagles F-16 off EBay, and I guess I'm gonna put the servos from my crashed f-18 in the F-16, and step up the motor and esc. My only apprehension is the only tx and Rx I have is the stock rtf unit that came with the F-18 from RedCat. Hope I'm not f**ing up.........lol
genoneracing is offline Find More Posts by genoneracing
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:50 PM
Roger Wilkes
United Kingdom, Portsmouth
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Hi there all sorry to but in here, I cannot seem to find info on the Hobby King ne Durafly Vampire D100 Mk6.
Can anyone direct me or advise, seems a good buy for a competent RC pilot and a couple of evenings sorting/checking out the plane .
Roger Wilkes
Roger Wilkes is offline Find More Posts by Roger Wilkes
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilkes View Post
Hi there all sorry to but in here, I cannot seem to find info on the Hobby King ne Durafly Vampire D100 Mk6.
Can anyone direct me or advise, seems a good buy for a competent RC pilot and a couple of evenings sorting/checking out the plane .
Roger Wilkes
Mr. Wilkes,
Have you previously flown any EDF aircraft? Do you have a flight simulator
program for your computer? Is your flying area just a grass field, or do you have a paved runway? These are a few things I need to know before advising you,
but if you haven't flown EDFs before, the Vampire is NOT a good place to start.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot