SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2014, 02:45 AM
Australia, NSW, McGraths Hill
Joined Mar 2008
404 Posts
Help!
laser cutting depron

Hi guys anyone have experience with cutting 6mm depron on a 60 watt laser I have a 60 by 40 cm machine and am struggling to get a decent straight cut
park aviator is offline Find More Posts by park aviator
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2014, 09:34 AM
Joined Jun 2012
30 Posts
If you have mirrors and lens from China you will notice an inferior cut. Make sure the optics are as clean as possible. Take the time to make sure everything is in focus and will maintain focus over the sheet of depron. Instead of focusing on the top of the depron, focus in the center of the material. Set your speed at a high setting. Cut fast with just enough power to get through the material. Adjust corner power as needed to prevent melt out.

Jim
Jtechlaser
shutterbug772 is offline Find More Posts by shutterbug772
Old Sep 18, 2014, 09:56 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by park aviator View Post
Hi guys anyone have experience with cutting 6mm depron on a 60 watt laser I have a 60 by 40 cm machine and am struggling to get a decent straight cut
I cut 6mm often on my laser. My laser is a 36"x48" 120 watt. you cannot use the "air pump" air when cutting depron. You must use an alternate source of air. and the speed and power settings are very critical at 6mm. Also you must set your focus to be half way into the material. this will give you an acceptable cut with repeatable results.
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:21 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug772 View Post
If you have mirrors and lens from China you will notice an inferior cut.
Jim
Jtechlaser
Jim, I have had my laser, with China optics, for over 4 years and I call BS on that statement.
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
(posted from my wife computer before)

If you are getting good results thats fine. I have done experiments with my lasers going back and forth between optics and could detect enough difference that I don't care for the Chinese optics. Laser companies offer alternative optics for reasons more than just to make money.

Also, good call on the “air pump”. I had forgot to mention that a continuous source of air is a better alternative.

Jim
Jtechlaser
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
You will never get a 100% straight or true cut with any laser machine. Heat is your enemy!
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:46 PM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,361 Posts
I have Epilog Mini with 40W laser at work. Tried cutting 6mm Depron at max speed and very low power (don't remember exactly, something like 5W). No matter what I tried, the cut was never straight--the center melted more then surfaces resulting in the hourglass shape cross-section...
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:29 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
Lots of air helps. I make small line breaks to retain the parts. I too have a Chinese laser. It has a 80W RECI tube and 600x400mm cutting area. It's not possible to get a 100% straight cut with a laser due to how the beam is focused.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Sep 26, 2014, 02:14 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,936 Posts
6mm and thicker depron results in a taper or hourglass shape to the cut. This can be used to your advantage. If you lay out the formers the taper can work with the direction of laying up the sheeting, same with a tapered wing. Just pay attention to left and right. Most of the time it doesn't make a lot of difference when you are sheeting over the foam.

If it is something you don't want a taper then use thinner depron and laminate the pieces together.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb