SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:07 PM
Joined Mar 2014
204 Posts
Discussion
FMS - V-Tail Glider 800mm & Fox Glider 800mm

Not sure if this belongs in the Foamie forum or the Micro forum, as I have no idea if 800mm is considered micro, but I just discovered these two kits today over at MotionRC. I really like the way they look, and you can't beat the pricing. Does anyone know anything about them?? Has anyone flown them yet?

Here's a video of the V-Tail:
FMS 800mm V-Tail Glider FULL Flight Demo and REVIEW By: RCINFORMER (10 min 9 sec)

And here's a video of the Fox:
FMS FOX 800mm Glider Review and Flight Demo By: RCINFORMER (7 min 22 sec)

The Fox appears to be heavier and faster.
I'm liking how the planes don't have rudders, but depend on all steering through the ailerons. I've never flown a plane like this.
Anyone know anything about these two planes…..so cheap, I think I'm going to have to buy one.
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2014, 01:57 PM
Joined Mar 2014
204 Posts
Anybody???
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:59 PM
Joined Mar 2014
204 Posts
Well, geez, I see there is no love for either of these two planes. I bought the V-tail and it had it's maiden voyage at sunset tonight. Finally, after a week of nothing but wind, it died down today, and I was able to fly again. So, I had two small crashes at first that luckily did not do much of any damage to the plane…a little ding at the end of one of the wings, and a slight squash to the foam on the nose, but nothing that required repair work, or glue and tape…thankfully.

So this V-tail flies real nice, but you have to fly it fast because if you go for slow, it stalls. One of the nice things about this plane (as an aileron trainer) is that because of the V-tail elevators, there is no rudder. One of the things I find hard about learning ailerons, is controlling the rudder at the same time. So with this plane, that's not an issue since it has no rudder. All steering and turning is done with ailerons alone, which is why I bought this plane...so I can get use to the feel of aileron steering without worrying about rudder usage.

I had four flights tonight on one battery, and the last flight went great, with a couple close calls, but I was able to land it well in the grass (it's a belly lander). I was also flying on a new field tonight, so it was a bit challenging getting use to a new field and plane at the same time. But, all in all, I highly recommend this plane as an aileron trainer. I had better luck with this plane than I did the UM T-28 which everyone claims is the next step up from the Champ…which I highly disagree on now.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 01:28 AM
Canada, SK, Division No. 7
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Bit late to help you buy it but I'll put in my 2 cents for others interested as I have had the Fox for a couple weeks.
It says on the box "great for beginners!" and is my first plane!
This is not really a beginner plane. I came in with some real aviation experience and many simulator hours and still shortened up the nose pretty good. I was getting frustrated and asked for help... you have to land it quite fast or lose it in a stall. It is fun to fly (not in turbulent winds though, very light!) and I would suspect considerably more nimble than the V-tail version.

Not being an RC veteran I consider it to have tremendous power on a scale basis - throttle up, toss it and grab 100% elevator and it goes near straight up. In my experience it is hard to stall with the throttle open, and if you do stall at low throttle you can power out. I have been unable to stall it in any dangerous manner anyways.
But it is very fast and nimble, and despite what I was told at the store, the RTF radio does NOT have dual rates, so I learned about small stick movements fast.

It is pretty tough though. I beat the plane pretty hard against the ground in my first few days but did not manage to break it beyond needing glue. I had a couple crashes at full throttle straight down into the ground, but killed the motor in time and haven't even damaged the folding prop. The cockpit area where battery and receiver go starts to buckle outward after a few crashes and would have shattered soon - so what I did was put some thick Spectra line across the fuselage to tension it together. This worked great and no further buckling has occurred.

Also the little snap on the cockpit lid drove me nuts! Always popping off, sometimes randomly in flight. Just junk... replaced it with rare earth magnets and am much happier.

Pretty good plane if you know how to fly but a true newcomer to aviation would be way better off with something slower and with SAFE. A friend new to flying just bought a Super Cub with SAFE and I know he could NOT handle this plane and it would be fragments in no time. No dihedral either except slightly upturned wing tips - no real safety net here.
rectifier is offline Find More Posts by rectifier
Old Sep 04, 2014, 09:51 PM
Joined Mar 2014
204 Posts
Rectifier,
Of these two planes, you bought the wrong one, especially if you're an RC beginner (despite real aviation and simulator experience). I looked very carefully at the two of them and the Fox has a more powerful engine, therefore I figured it would be faster (and more difficult to fly), so I did not buy it. Also, I would think the V-tail would fly a little more stable since those back wings give you the slight dihedral that is lacking in the Fox. The Fox looked way too fast and crazy flying for my abilities. I'm not the best pilot in the world yet. But I still think the V-tail is a great beginner trainer for ailerons. It's not a true beginner plane though…that would be the smaller Champ.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your Fox. I'll bet after you get really good at flying easier-to-fly planes, that the Fox would be a good next step up for learning your aileron abilities. I love my V-tail, and only wrecked it the first day I flew it. I have been very lucky in flying it since, and have not wrecked it yet (knock on wood). I find that it's best to get it up high, ASAP, and then experiment with it's flying behavior at a high altitude so I don't crash it into the ground.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 10:53 PM
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
In fact this was not really meant to be a negative review, more of a warning to the novice flyer. I can see how it could come off that way - however I really like the Fox and think it's a great flier.

After the steep learning curve, I am happily flying my Fox every day in some challenging conditions and haven't crashed it in a week. And it was remarkably tough in the face of some nasty crashes, it doesn't look wounded unless you inspect the nose. 70% of my crashes occurred on poor landings, and 20% can be blamed on loss of control due to gusts. The rest were just plain old poor flying. As we usually have steady winds up high here that blow planes away, I fly in the slower air around our hills and am forced to fly low, often not even one mistake high. My last crash was caused by clipping a particularly tall weed

However one must have a solid grasp of how ailerons and elevator turn a plane before they even think of flying the Fox. V-tail would be a better trainer for that purpose as it has mixed controls and I believe will turn somewhat on aileron input alone. If you try that with the Fox you will knife edge it into the ground or wind up upside down. Also with no dihedral you must always actively manage your roll in turbulent air or find the ground quickly. This has never caused a crash for me but I can see how it could if unfamiliar with aileron control.

Main reason I passed on the V-tail was because I plan on adding rudder to the Fox. To be honest I wasn't really in love with the V-tail look either, I'm glad I got the Fox as it has the power and control to do some light aerobatics.

I don't know if I could even recommend this guy as a second plane to a real novice though. Maybe with enough sim practice and speedy video-game thumbs.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:18 PM
Joined Mar 2014
204 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing better with the Fox! My Dad (an 83 year-old guy) was eyeing up buying the Fox also, but bowed out seeing how fast it was. The few small crashes I had with my V-tail were in fact upon landing also, and slightly crunched the nose (just a tad). I think I was use to flying ultra micros, and just was not use to the fact that flying something bigger has different landing characteristics.

One thing I never do is fly if it's windy. We are having a very windy summer here on the east coast of the USA (oddly enough), and I am finding the ONLY time I can fly is anytime around 6:00-8:00PM, which kinda sucks now that it is getting dark earlier. But that is the only time of day that the wind dies down enough to get the RC planes out.

Yes, the V-tail has no rudder at all, so it's turning is strictly done with ailerons only. I did not realize the Fox had NO rudder…interesting! Maybe I knew that and forgot. I'm guessing the actual V-tail itself has something to do with it's stability in flying, as I know now from experience that flying with 4-channel is more difficult than flying 3-channel, which is why I bought this plane. I have mastered the Champ, Duet and UMX Radian and was ready to move up to ailerons. I did what everyone recommended: move on to flying the UM T-28. So I bought the T-28, and just could not master it at all….crash, after crash, after crash, after crash. My T-28's red nose cap has gotten bashed in so many times now (and I've had to glue/tape it so many times) that it's at the point where it's red nose actually looks like raw hamburger. I call it the "Ground Beef" now, instead of the T-28, LOL.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 06:59 PM
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Yep, before 6AM or in the lull time just before sundown are the times to fly here, and there are still high-level winds and gusts to make things exciting! Almost lost the Fox last night when sudden rise in wind took it behind the barn where my big pond is. Full throttle and heavy up elevator and luckily the plane was still right side up. It spiraled up into sight, then it took running at full throttle to beat back against the wind and land. Glad this little plane has the horsepower that it does!

My recommendation on flying the 4-channel would be to do as is done when learning to fly full size aircraft and simply forget the rudder at first while in the air. It's only necessary to co-ordinate your turns and used for finely lining up for landing and correcting for crosswinds, and it can get you into a lot of trouble if misused. That's why the Fox doesn't need a rudder.

Always remember that ailerons don't turn the plane, they roll it. I suspect the V-tail results in more "rudder-like" behaviour where gentle constant aileron input will result in constant turning rather than barrel rolling. That little T-28 is probably a hard plane to start learning aileron control as I suspect it has a high rate of roll and would just spin uncontrollably.

When making a turn with ailerons, my right stick draws a U shape. Aileron to set bank angle -> Let off aileron input, start giving up elevator -> Up elevator to maintain altitude through the turn -> Decrease up elevator, increase opposing aileron -> Opposing aileron to level wings.

After practicing with the gentle V-tail you should have a lot better luck with the T-28, happy flying!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:37 PM
Team Warpsquad
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
544 Posts
I picked up the mini v and big v during the black Friday weekend and am loving the mini v so far. Haven't had a chance to put the big one together but enjoying the small one so far. Speed is decent, almost seems like it could use some bigger props as it really doesn't like wind. Would be a fun frame to mod.
Mr.Aaron is online now Find More Posts by Mr.Aaron
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2014
204 Posts
Mini V and big V? Are these FMS Fox planes, Mr.Aaron? Because I've never heard of a bigger version of the FMX Fox V-Tail 800mm.

Flew my FMS Fox V-Tail quite a bit this past fall. Great plane to fly, but I will say that with the RTF Tx it is a handful in the sky. It's a bucking bronco! I just bought a DX6i not too long ago and am thinking of tearing the Rx out of the plane and putting a Spektrum-based Rx in so I can fly this with the DX6i. It use to be that my UM T-28 was the hard plane to fly, but ever since I started flying that with my DX6i, it's a breeze to fly now that I have better control over the rate settings. I'm thinking the Fox V-Tail will be alot easier to handle if I can adjust the rates on the ailerons.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:30 PM
Team Warpsquad
Joined May 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
Mini V and big V? Are these FMS Fox planes, Mr.Aaron? Because I've never heard of a bigger version of the FMX Fox V-Tail 800mm.

Flew my FMS Fox V-Tail quite a bit this past fall. Great plane to fly, but I will say that with the RTF Tx it is a handful in the sky. It's a bucking bronco! I just bought a DX6i not too long ago and am thinking of tearing the Rx out of the plane and putting a Spektrum-based Rx in so I can fly this with the DX6i. It use to be that my UM T-28 was the hard plane to fly, but ever since I started flying that with my DX6i, it's a breeze to fly now that I have better control over the rate settings. I'm thinking the Fox V-Tail will be alot easier to handle if I can adjust the rates on the ailerons.

The big one is from rochobby, I am using a taranis in the fms v so able to chang e the rates a bit which is definitely beneficial. Have flown it a handful now and love it, couple small issues with it wanting to go straight up under power but should be able to correct that a bit. It definitely doesn't like a lot of wind, wish it had a little bit larger props. Used some safety orange tape on it which looks good and extremely easy to spot.

But you are correct a good transmitter makes all the difference.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Mar 2014
204 Posts
LOL, you're having problems with it wanting to go straight up and I always have problems with it wanting to descend rather quickly. I have given it a little bit of up elevator trim to keep it from wanting to go down, but it doesn't seem to help much. It does always want to go downward when I hand-launch it, and I have to be quick to give it ever so slightly up elevator (I don't want it to stall). As I fly it around, I find I have to give it a little bit of up elevator before I can get it up high enough. Once it's up high, and I give it more throttle it seems to fly more stable, but I'm not one to want to fly fast all the time. I do not fly this thing low to the ground, as I am not completely confident in controlling it. I'm thinking what the real problem is has nothing to do with control surfaces or trim, but it's all about CG, and because there is virtually no room at all in the cockpit/canopy area, you pretty much cannot move the battery back or it will hit the servos. This is a conundrum that I have not figured out how to solve yet. This is probably the reason this is not a very popular plane, and it's also probably the reason that this plane is so inexpensive.

I have only flown it in the wind a couple times, and notice it stalls alot when going into the wind, so more up elevator helps on windy days to keep it flying level. It is a fun plane to fly though, and it's a fast bird too. I have been so lucky not to bust it up yet.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:10 PM
Team Warpsquad
Joined May 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
LOL, you're having problems with it wanting to go straight up and I always have problems with it wanting to descend rather quickly. I have given it a little bit of up elevator trim to keep it from wanting to go down, but it doesn't seem to help much. It does always want to go downward when I hand-launch it, and I have to be quick to give it ever so slightly up elevator (I don't want it to stall). As I fly it around, I find I have to give it a little bit of up elevator before I can get it up high enough. Once it's up high, and I give it more throttle it seems to fly more stable, but I'm not one to want to fly fast all the time. I do not fly this thing low to the ground, as I am not completely confident in controlling it. I'm thinking what the real problem is has nothing to do with control surfaces or trim, but it's all about CG, and because there is virtually no room at all in the cockpit/canopy area, you pretty much cannot move the battery back or it will hit the servos. This is a conundrum that I have not figured out how to solve yet. This is probably the reason this is not a very popular plane, and it's also probably the reason that this plane is so inexpensive.

I have only flown it in the wind a couple times, and notice it stalls alot when going into the wind, so more up elevator helps on windy days to keep it flying level. It is a fun plane to fly though, and it's a fast bird too. I have been so lucky not to bust it up yet.
Ya mine is a tad nose heavy and because of the lack of space I am thinking of gluing a little weight into the tail to see if it helps. Also thinking of setting a switch on my transmitter that will trim the elevator down a little bit once I am up in the air to also see if that helps it from going straight up under power. A little bit is ok and good but its doing it too much. Might be able to glue a weight around the screw hold used to mount the wings on but not sure if that would be far back enough. Plane is definitely easy to stall as is tho

I have to servos set to about 50% at the moment but curious to see it at 100% travel with some expo added should make it do some light aerobatics.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 05:38 PM
Team Warpsquad
Joined May 2009
544 Posts
Went out and tested it out and it helped, I set a switch so that I can launch with a little up elevator and then a little down elevator once in the air. Probably can add a little more down elevator to it but it definitely helped keep it from shooting straight up under power.

Going to use similar launch function on all my planes from now on which will make it a lot easier launching.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:51 PM
Team Warpsquad
Joined May 2009
544 Posts
Looks like motionrc will be out of the admiral 350mah packs for 2 to 3 weeks. Anybody know an alternative that fits?