HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2014, 02:08 PM
Doing things differently
UK, England
Joined Sep 2009
231 Posts
Discussion
Am I doing this right?

I have only ever built one WTC before, and that was a small one with the electronics thrown in without though.
So I have never built a proper WTC and would like to know if I have the layout of the WTC correct, or if there is some tips and tricks im missing.

So what do you think?

Michael
Subsonic Mike is online now Find More Posts by Subsonic Mike
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hmmmmmmm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 07:01 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
284 Posts
What about the drive motor(s) and esc and batteries
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old May 05, 2014, 07:06 PM
Doing things differently
UK, England
Joined Sep 2009
231 Posts
Drive motor is in there, kinda hard to see. Its a single brushless motor with a gear box to split it into 2 shafts.
Batteries are external
ESC I forgot.

Thanks,

Michael
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2014, 04:44 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
907 Posts
You have the tank biased towards the front of the tank. Why is that?

Also consider moving the receiver to the other end, so you only have to run the majority of your servo leads a short distance. You could also move the bow servo to the back and run a longer control rod to the front planes. That would keep all the equipment at one end, and the front cap could be bonded in.

When designing the rack, make use of the torsional strength of the Engel tank. it's a heavy and sturdy item, so you might as well make use if it as a structural member.

If you made the pipe 11cm diameter you could use normal PVC waste pipe- very tough, cheap and easy to work.

Bear in mind that when running an external battery you will almost certainly have to extend the battery cables beyond the usual 20cm or so. To avoid damage to your ESC consider adding some extra low ESR caps to the power lines, adjacent to the ESC.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Last edited by Sub culture; May 06, 2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old May 06, 2014, 05:02 AM
Doing things differently
UK, England
Joined Sep 2009
231 Posts
The tank is positioned directly under the conning tower, whilst the tube (that we have bought) isn't centred under the conning tower.

I like the idea about moving the bow servo aft, will defiantly make things easier.
I never thought of using the tank as a structure item, that's a really great idea.

Thanks,

Michael
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2014, 05:32 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
907 Posts
I see. You'll almost certainly need to add some extra buoyancy in the bow to align the forces then. (foam, a smaller cylinder etc.)

You could shorten the aft end of the cylinder, as you have enough air space to compress the piston into. If you need room for the rod to retract, you could bond in a much smaller tube into the end cap for clearance- that's much easier to compensate for than a larger diameter pipe.

Also when designing the rest of the tech rack, think of a structure. e.g. a box section is much sturdier than a few lateral rods, and can be made much lighter too.

A good example of this would be a cardboard box e.g. a packet of cornflakes With all sides buttoned up, it's remarkably stiff and rigid. Open one end to get at the contents, and the box becomes torsionally flimsy, yet still weighs the same.
Old May 06, 2014, 10:23 AM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
766 Posts
Looking nice. If you really want to run the threaded rods, use 3 or 4 to box the unit in like Andy said. I have a 5" tube with 3 brass rods. Heavy but plenty strong while its out of the clear tube.

D
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old May 07, 2014, 01:06 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
It's far easier to run servo wires from one end of the dive module to the other than to run a servo linkage. I'd leave your desgin for the servos the way it is.

What kind of ballast system are you planning to use? Depending on type chosen, you might want to consider shortening the dive module tube. The trade-off will be the need for more floatation (e.g. foam) as Andy noted.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Old May 07, 2014, 01:31 PM
Doing things differently
UK, England
Joined Sep 2009
231 Posts
Im using a engel piston tank, 825mL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2014, 02:39 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
907 Posts
Engel recommend that the tank should be no more than about 15% of inside volume of the WTC. This is to keep pressures to sensible limits, which protects the hull seals and also prevents the tank pulling a lot of current, which goes up a lot when it has to compress against higher pressures.

I think you could go to about 20%, but would be cautious about going further than that.
Old May 07, 2014, 03:42 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
Is there a reason for the ballast tank being close to the center of the wtc? I would think that you would want it as low as possible to keep the balance low.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 07, 2014, 03:45 PM
Doing things differently
UK, England
Joined Sep 2009
231 Posts
The height was purely so the shaft from the tank goes above the motor
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2014, 03:54 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
907 Posts
Wouldn't worry about that, you have a deep keel on a Type VII, so it will be easy to dial in stability.
Old May 07, 2014, 04:04 PM
Doing things differently
UK, England
Joined Sep 2009
231 Posts
Just checked my calculations:
The cylinder has a volume of 7526000mm^3
The dive tank has a volume of 825 000mm^3

So the dive tank is about 11% of the volume
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2014, 05:06 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
907 Posts
Ensure you make some allowance for the internal fittings, and the tank itself which takes up a fair amount of volume.

Anyway you'll be fine on that front, and you could afford to reduce the size a bit, which will reduce the weight of the boat and make it a bit easier to lug about.