Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
400 Posts
Discussion
KFm-3 versus Armin Wing?

KFm-3: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117276

Armin Wing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504758

Is there any data, formal or anecdotal, comparing these two wings?

I'm planning a scratch built plane for FPV and UAV applications.

For those with experience with either or both, what are your thoughts?
SquireM is online now Find More Posts by SquireM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:10 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,408 Posts
If both wings have the same plan-form and thickness their performance will be practically identical.
Go with the one you feel most 'buildable.' A true and rigid build will have more beneficial effect than the airfoil for this application.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
No experience with FPV and UAV, unless you are including RC Planes in your def of UAV, but I have built and flown stick type planes with both wings and I personally like the Armin Wing better when I fly. The good thing about it though is you can pick up a little extra foam and make one of each, see what you prefer, and have an extra just in case something happens.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
No experience with FPV and UAV, unless you are including RC Planes in your def of UAV, but I have built and flown stick type planes with both wings and I personally like the Armin Wing better when I fly. The good thing about it though is you can pick up a little extra foam and make one of each, see what you prefer, and have an extra just in case something happens.
Thanks.
Yes RC planes for FPV and (hopefully someday when money is not so tight) an autopilot with waypoint programing and "return home" feature.
The Peace Drone really caught my eye (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564769) and the cost of construction sold me on it. I'm currently flying an Easystar and I haven't outgrown it yet, but I'm always looking ahead.

Do you have other recommendations for a first time builder?
SquireM is online now Find More Posts by SquireM
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:54 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,408 Posts
Quote:Do you have other recommendations for a first time builder?
Pretty basic really:
Design, or choose a design that will perform the way you want it to.
Build it accurately with everything straight and true.
Make the air-frame rigid so the flying surfaces are maintained in correct alignment.
Keep everything as light as possible.
Don't leave anything to chance. Aim for perfect reliability. Check, check and re-check.
Have fun.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers