SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:55 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Do you have a lot of experience with them? What's the quality like?
Not a lot, but I did hear good word of mouth about them and they seem to have good service, I'm gonna give them a shot on my next batch of batts, gonna get a few 6s. The 2 batts I received look great, 4s 3700 50C, same I'm using in the Su
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I recall seeing the same and individual connectors for ea. battery Y'd into a single XT90 and is why i was concerned about his setup drawing 80a x 2 (which i also recall tube spec'd it at) @ 160a combined across a XT90 connector...?

Tube correct me if im wrong?

Max,

Your expertise is needed in the me262 thread got a question in there
No sorry my bad-- each batt is XT90, they Y to the 6mm gold bullet-to 6mm gold on to ESCs see pic
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Ok fair enough. Forgot you had these in parallel so each battery connector is only seeing half the amp load ~90 amps. But I thought in your picture you have two XT90s on one end and one XT90 on the other. So then its the combination of amps, 180 amp, across that single connector that goes back out to each ESC. So same difference. This is from memory. I'm looking back for the pictures you posted to see how you used the connectors.

But then you keep putting everything in video so no point in even searching. It would take forever to find it.
Max see pic-- XT90s on batts, leads to Y and 6mm gold bullets, which go to 6mm gold on to ESCs
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I own the FriSky system along with every option and sensor the company makes. On a quadcopter I could look down and read the data as I could just put the NAZA in hover. The sensors work great and the data seems accurate. But unless I could get the data by voice it will be little use for me when flying the 35. I guess you could wait until landing and check. Other than that I hope to be able to at least use my FriSky to control the SU35. I have heard the 9x can be modded and much more functional, but I lack the skills to convert mine. I wish there was a shop here in Tucson that could do the work for me for a fee.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Ok fair enough. Forgot you had these in parallel so each battery connector is only seeing half the amp load ~90 amps. But I thought in your picture you have two XT90s on one end and one XT90 on the other. So then its the combination of amps, 180 amp, across that single connector that goes back out to each ESC. So same difference. This is from memory. I'm looking back for the pictures you posted to see how you used the connectors.

But then you keep putting everything in video so no point in even searching. It would take forever to find it.
Ohhh, I just noticed-- I had an XT90 adapter for my WATTS UP meter, perhaps this was the bottleneck, I just removed it and will test in the AM with the TM on leaf blower
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:23 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Max see pic-- XT90s on batts, leads to Y and 6mm gold bullets, which go to 6mm gold on to ESCs
ITTD, you know you can quote us both and just post once instead of the mulitple pics and posts on the same subject.

So ya that part looks fine. It parallel to parallel. As long as one side doesn't exceed the demand of the connector, you're good.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:29 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Ohhh, I just noticed-- I had an XT90 adapter for my WATTS UP meter, perhaps this was the bottleneck, I just removed it and will test in the AM with the TM on leaf blower
it also means you were reading half the demand coming off only one side or one battery not the common load. You would need to place your watt meter on the 6mm connectors for that.
But that now doesn't explain how you watt meter burnt up. Either way you'll have to try a few things mentioned and see if there is any improvements.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,692 Posts
Tangent alert! Hey! That's why I'm surprised that no one hasn't setup any smart phone to mix the camera with telem as a hud overlay. Then you record and hook it on you hate over one eye no no really and still maintain LOS while reading telem data and alerts. It wouldn't be in violation of current regs.

But as I said, Jeti's new DC/DS-16 takes care of all of that. You can set any and all over limit announcements, and you can program any and all lists off any switch, to repeat as many times as you want it to, and repeat in intervals that you want it to. And you can add any sound bit queues to the specific aircraft. So some have already taken such to have both there music and queued sequences in a flight routine.
For me I've been getting the wife to record in Russian, each of the major queues while the Jeti voice command follows each stage with a read out of what I'd be concerned with at that time.

Out of limit alarms are automatic on the other hand. Temp, volt, amp, mAh limits prompt an immediate announce of out of limit. And there systems are not limited to just Jeti sensors because in Europe they'e been expanding this under the previous jeti module based setups.

Cool stuff.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I basically use the audio alarms as a guide to what's going on, LV, heat, and individual cells. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
...But unless I could get the data by voice it will be little use for me when flying the 35.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:21 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
343 Posts
Quote:
No sorry my bad-- each batt is XT90, they Y to the 6mm gold bullet-to 6mm gold on to ESCs see pic
I still think XT150 is better: have a few 3S 4500mAh for Mig 29. In SU I just plug red into black and get a 6S battery without any harness.
3S are usable in other planes and also when batteris start to fail it's possible to replace a cell on 3s. Middle cell on 6s I even won't try.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Turnigy Radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post

V8... check out the Turnigy 9x. 9 Ch ($70 TX with 1 8ch RX)... but best to upgrade it to a better RF module. Typically $50 to do. eg FRSKY ACCT DHT with telemetry (freq hops 100x sec for bullet-proof result - as tested with noise generators to try to shoot it down). Rxes at $20 or so (6 and 8 ch).
It is quite programmable (mixes) as it comes, but if you want to get more technical and mod it to reflash to community firmware it then becomes incredibly programmable, and optimised in every way - due to the ongoing firmware editing "add this.. make it do that...". Probably better than any big name brand even does.
And in quality and reliability it has not has one issue here (2 of them), and versus 2 Futaba's I have.
Read up on them (Turnigy, or iMax or Eurgle). Check RCreviews too.

Hey PeterVRC!

About a year ago you extolled the virtues of the Turnigy 9X Radio System, but now there is a new 9XR radio available from HobbyKing, that leaves me a bit lost.......

Here's the link:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html

It's compatible with DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz, and a newer Open LRS 433MHz interface, which is apparently superior to 2.4Ghz. What are your thoughts about this radio????

I've been away from this hobby for awhile and am trying to getting back up to speed, but it has changed alot in the past five years............................

Just curious, Dave
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Last edited by davemilw07; Jan 26, 2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: fixed original quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
I still think XT150 is better: have a few 3S 4500mAh for Mig 29. In SU I just plug red into black and get a 6S battery without any harness.
3S are usable in other planes and also when batteris start to fail it's possible to replace a cell on 3s. Middle cell on 6s I even won't try.
Yeah good point-- I just ordered 2 packs of the XT150s from HK
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,189 Posts
Hey where'd everybody go!?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:08 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,771 Posts
I haven't read anything about OpenLRS (of use), but as far as I see the 9XR is the same processor/design etc as the 9X anyway.
ER9X has some DSM2/X stuff for it.... it is just the data stream format.
OpenLRS I don't know... possibly the same chance it can be done, unless the speeds are too high to process?

But the main thing is keeping an eye on those communities (OpenBlahBlah etc....) to see what it does of use, and which TXes they implement it on. But so far it seems 9X, 9XR, pretty well the same thing.
I would get a Sky9X board for a 9X (or 9XR if they can work in both) - plus keep an eye on stuff they are doing.
I was on the verge of buying that Sky9X board, but now need to sit and watch just a bit more to see what is going on overall. The modded 9Xes are all doing everything I need anyway... EXCEPT model memory, seeing most of mine are very complex and EAT memory per model. Changing the processor to a 128 would fix that, but changing that chip would be fun! Though it seems people are doing that ok. Or getting the Sky9X board also solves that (it has far more memory anyway).
I just bought 3 TXes to solve that (prob $60ea once all modded up)... LOL. A bonus is that I have spares to use then and there (not that I ever have needed one)..... and can let other people fly my planes with me sometimes too! (not the same plane of course LOL)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:24 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Yeah good point-- I just ordered 2 packs of the XT150s from HK
I wish you would have said something earlier! I would have went in on that with ya and half the shipping!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:04 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I wish you would have said something earlier! I would have went in on that with ya and half the shipping!
What are you out of money already They're only $10 for a pack of 15. That's 7 batteries. Just add it to your next order.

To bad you didn't do a search this thread on connectors..... you would have seen we've talked about this and just about anything you could think of related to the SU, models, life an the answer to the universe (42).

You could have added it in your last order.
RCG Plus Member