SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
By the way, I just used Foam Tac on some $tree and it ate a hole in it. Looks like I didn't let it dry long enough before laminating parts.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Wow 3X the price! Same packaging, same size, I wonder what went in this "reformulated" formula that is so expensive and needed.

I don't mean to question Beacon strategy, but I'd think tripling the distribution (making sure it;s in every LHS and places that sell or use foam) would be much more effective than tripling the price.
It seems like a great product, so distribution should not be too hard to increase.

At $12 it's pretty much priced out of the market altogether considering what is available as replacement, too bad, it was an interesting option.
Michael V is online now Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
12 bucks is the MSRP of the new stuff...Not sure what the MSRP is of the "old" stuff. At 3 or 4 bucks a bottle is a great price point for this product... even $8 retail may be a bit steep IMO.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
If you can find the old formula I suggest buying it as the new formulation is much higher cost for dealers as well so the old pricing will not be around once the old stock is sold off. The old formulation works great on the MPF and I still have a few bottles left from when I use to sell it on my website. I want to try the new formulation once it is ready and see if acts the same etc. I know some foams it would eat if you put it on too thick so maybe they resolved that issue. But I can say the old formula works great on MPF and that link for $3.99 each is a great deal so it might be wise to buy it up now.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Oct 25, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
Wow 3X the price! Same packaging, same size, I wonder what went in this "reformulated" formula that is so expensive and needed.

I don't mean to question Beacon strategy, but I'd think tripling the distribution (making sure it;s in every LHS and places that sell or use foam) would be much more effective than tripling the price.
It seems like a great product, so distribution should not be too hard to increase.

At $12 it's pretty much priced out of the market altogether considering what is available as replacement, too bad, it was an interesting option.
Supply and demand my friend with a little greed mixed in. They must have mixed gold flakes in it ! lmao They sell gorrila glue real close to my home and if they dont find out that we are using it for our hobby it might stay the same price. The beacon glue guy comes here and posts and maybe he can tell us why they are talking about raising prices, or we can just keep guessing. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:13 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Yeah, bring on the glue guy. I have only used one bottle so far and while it seems good stuff I am not overly impressed with it. And if they up the price I won't be using any more of it. GG has worked just fine for me.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,371 Posts
AS this is a thread for MPF and not foam tac lets just follow THIS link to find out why the price difference and keep the talk here about our favorite foam
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
...GG has worked just fine for me.
White stuff, right?
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
White stuff, right?
Right, not too thick and stay inboard of edges when laminating, it foams out to the edge.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:31 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
AS this is a thread for MPF and not foam tac lets just follow THIS link to find out why the price difference and keep the talk here about our favorite foam
But everyone around here that uses MPF swears foam tac is the best for it so it is kind of important.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
I may be called cheap but I hate paying even $5 for 2 ounces of any glue. I saw Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue so I thought I'd give it a try. List price is $12.99 for 12 oz. Not 2, 12. I bought it at the local model train store for $10.49. As a test, I cut several small pieces of MPF and made butt joints, laminations and hinges . I made 2 sets of each and put one set together wet and the other using the contact cement method. The contact method may have been slightly stronger. The next day I tore them apart and In most cases the MPF failed before the joints. I used it to finish up a foamy including the hinges. We shall see how it holds up. I've never used the Beacon Tac but from what I have read this material seems similar.
SEMFF guys, I got it at Great Lakes Hobby on Van Dyke south of Utica Rd in Sterling Heights. Split a bottle 5 ways and try it.
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly
Last edited by jcfetterly; Oct 25, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:58 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,371 Posts
I use MPF and the old foam tac and i wouldnt say its the best . It has its place along with many other glues although its place may be smaller as the price goes up .
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:06 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Just passing along the local lore.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfetterly View Post
I may be called cheap but I hate paying even $5 for 2 ounces of any glue. I saw Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue so I thought I'd give it a try. List price is $12.99 for 12 oz. Not 2, 12. I bought it at the local model train store for $10.49. As a test, I cut several small pieces of MPF and made butt joints, laminations and hinges . I made 2 sets of each and put one set together wet and the other using the contact cement method. The contact method may have been slightly stronger. The next day I tore them apart and In most cases the MPF failed before the joints. I used it to finish up a foamy including the hinges. We shall see how it holds up. I've never used the Beacon Tac but from what I have read this material seems similar.
SEMFF guys, I got it at Great Lakes Hobby on Van Dyke south of Utica Rd in Sterling Heights. Split a bottle 5 ways and try it.
9.20 on the us amazon site $41 on the canadian one

Theres an old thread on it with a little info Here
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Wilfor You tell us to not get off track about this MPF foam thread then you start talking about the same glue again.. I went to the other glue thread and got my reply and it looks like its GG for me for a while. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup