HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:36 AM
Texas
Joined Nov 2000
459 Posts
Discussion
MCP X - The dreaded shakes

I can't get rid of the shakes on this thing. I've tightened up all the servos. I even sent it back to Horizon which took over a month. It flew good a few times then went right back to shaking.

The only way to pull it out of one of those shakes it to give it a lot of collective and throttle.

Any suggestions? I must be missing something.

-s
spessx is offline Find More Posts by spessx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spessx View Post
I can't get rid of the shakes on this thing. I've tightened up all the servos. I even sent it back to Horizon which took over a month. It flew good a few times then went right back to shaking.

The only way to pull it out of one of those shakes it to give it a lot of collective and throttle.

Any suggestions? I must be missing something.

-s
Common known issue from one of two sources......it can come from dirty servo contact strips if the heli has many flights on it. Cleaning them will help.

The more common issue which can show itself almost immediately is too much slop in the plastic swash/servo linkages causing the heli to go into a cyclic wobble from the 3 axis gyro. Solution is to tighten up the slop by slipping tiny o rings or spare canopy grommets over the swash balls then snap the servo linkage back on. The back elevator servo can be tricky but you may get the result you need by only doing the front two servo links.

Also, make sure you do not have your blades tightened down too much.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
Texas
Joined Nov 2000
459 Posts
X,

Thanks for the response. I found the rubber band mod burried in another thread and it seems to have solved the problem. I basically just stretched a rubber band over the linkages on the blade grips and it tied down some of the slop. Flies smooth like butter now!

-s
spessx is offline Find More Posts by spessx
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2007
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spessx View Post
X,

Thanks for the response. I found the rubber band mod burried in another thread and it seems to have solved the problem. I basically just stretched a rubber band over the linkages on the blade grips and it tied down some of the slop. Flies smooth like butter now!

-s
Rubber bands work well, I made a post on using those awhile back.

I use -002 orings now because they look better and last longer. Zero play in the linkages is nice.
chevell is offline Find More Posts by chevell
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,111 Posts
Also the 'grommet mod' which I found here:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=292796

and

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9688

I just made the change on mine last night and will test it out today if it fixes the shakes
mattk0 is offline Find More Posts by mattk0
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:12 AM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,111 Posts
FWIW the grommet mod made a large difference for me and shakes have not yet come back about 5 flights! Look'n good
mattk0 is offline Find More Posts by mattk0
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
Joined May 2008
19 Posts
can someone give me a link to the "rubber band mod"?
Hixbot is offline Find More Posts by Hixbot