HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:56 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Discussion
R C Cruise ship ???

I was wondering if anyone has made a large scale R C cruise ship like
Royal Carribean new ship "Oasis of the seas" its in real life 'when its launched
is 1,184 foot long and has a beam of 154 foot wide ,how do you figure scale size ?? so its about 8 to 10 foot long ??? I havent got a clue as to how to begin building this ship, or how and what materials I would use ,and what costs to expect , Has anyone used bluecore foam on this types of project
Can any one help me with some info thanks
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,994 Posts
Look up member "greenseaships"
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:40 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Look up member "greenseaships"
Out of cardboard yet....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531343

Some of the older smaller ships available here.
http://www.steinhagen-modelltechnik.de/index.htm

There was also a gentleman in the Seattle area that built up a
nice cruise ship. It sticks in my mind, because as he sailed it around
the pond, there was conga music coming off the decks..
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:01 AM
Keep it Simple, Make it Fun!
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
212 Posts
To figure scale you just divide the actual length of the ship (1184 feet) by the desired length (8 ft) and you get a scale of 1:148. Unfortunately that is not a standard scale, however 1:144 is which would make your model 8.2 ft. long (1184/144).

1:96 scale would give you a model 12.3 ft. long...
1Ironhorse is offline Find More Posts by 1Ironhorse
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:09 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
J-, I'm not a math major, so I'm probably not the person who needs to reply to your post, but let's see what we can figure out here, with the aid of a handy dandy calculator.
You say that the prototype ship is 1,184 feet long. If you multiply 1,184 times 12, you obtain the number 14, 208, or the ship's length in inches. This is your key number in the calculations that you want to do.
You mention a possible model length of 8 feet. Alright, 8 times 12 inches is 96 inches. If you divide 96 inches into 14, 208 inches, you arrive at a scale of 1/148. This means that one foot on your model is equal to 148 feet on the real ship. That scale is a bit awkward to work with. If we divide 150 into 14, 208 we arrive at a model length of 94.72 (inches) or 7 feet 10.72 inches. This model would have a scale of 1/150, of course.
A couple more examples. If we divide 160 into 14, 208 we arrive at a model length of 88.8 inches or 7 feet 4.8 inches. For a model length of 10 feet or 120 inches, we divide 14, 208 by 120 to get a scale of 1/118.4 .
I hope this hasn't been too tedious for you. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:42 AM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Thank you Guys for your replys ,Now the next question ? how do they
run the propeller thru the hull and rudder and not have any water come in? is there any more electrical parts in the hull than
an airplane
Old Oct 07, 2009, 10:23 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
I hate to be a bubble breaker, but if you don't know how a shaft exits a hull, a 100" long, 165 pound model would be a monumental project.
If you have an interest in cruise ships, and like to scratch build, try a smaller scale first. Say something like 1:350. That would put you at 40" and 11 pounds. Construction could be plank on frame or carved foam with glass. The challenges will be to design the drive line, as the Oasis uses a pair of azipods in back and a bank of bow thrusters up front.

Dave

PS: A fixed drive system uses a tube fixed to the hull, filled with oil or grease, that allows the shaft to spin while preventing water from entering the hull.
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Oct 07, 2009, 10:46 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave
I hate to be a bubble breaker, but if you don't know how a shaft exits a hull, a 100" long, 165 pound model would be a monumental project.
Tugboater came on to these forums some time ago with thoughts of building a man carrying Carnival Destiny as his first model.
After several of us pointed out the amount of work involved and the design / building challenges he would face, he revised his first model ideas and went a lot smaller.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...rnival+destiny
Its not RC, but it gave Tugboater some idea of the challenges he would of faced with a large model.

I have to agree with Boater_Dave, start smaller and then if that model comes out right, go for the bigger model. You will learn a lot along the way that will help you with the bigger model.
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:00 PM
Chula Vista, Ca.
Joined May 2006
312 Posts
Here's one that I'm restoring now. Scratch built in the early 80's by a fellow club member who has sinced passed away. It's stand-off scale, stand way off scale. 61 inches long, weighs about 45 lbs.
mrbassman is offline Find More Posts by mrbassman
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:41 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,031 Posts
Umi, there was a modeler from BC that built one or two cruise ships with music and lighting, large models. I can't remember his last name but maybe Keith S. could chime in here. I looked for some photos but only have video. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Last edited by jerryj98501; Oct 07, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:03 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,031 Posts
This is not a "cruise ship" but is a model of a 220' mosquito boat fleet that plied the Puget Sound in the 1920's. It was the fastest ship of its size in that period and cruised from Tacoma to Seattle daily. The model was built by Jim Elder and will show the size of a cruise ship in the nine to ten foot size. The model is now in the Tacoma Maritime Museum in Tacoma. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:41 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Thanks guys for your suggestions I was only thinking a model about
8 foot or so i don't want to go overboard....lol... excuse my joke
I am in the thinking stage right now trying to find out all i can . My intrest is
in "newer Cruise ships". I think I will try somthing smaller first and see what I learn for all of you on here ( if you want to share info ) about the power systems, Can you use my servos and motor from my airplane or is somthing different that runs it ?? and other question where on earth do you get plans for a new ship thats not even in service yet? thanks for your intrest in my project Jim
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:15 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,466 Posts
Friends in the industry, and signed Non-Disclosure Agreements are the best
way to get plans for ship that are not yet in service.

The next best method is line drawings and General arrangement PDFs that
have been published for publicity and sales. Then those have to be
manipulated, and your frame drawings have to be extrapolated from the
available information.

See Norgale's thread on the Athena...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882793
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:33 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Jeeze! Did really do all that? Seems like a long time ago and she ain't finished yet. Saving up for the chrome plating kit. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:39 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
There was also a gentleman in the Seattle area that built up a
nice cruise ship. It sticks in my mind, because as he sailed it around
the pond, there was conga music coming off the decks..
Dave Dewolf Of Canada didi the Song of America ( this is probebly the one) back in 1986 for the Worlds Fair in Vancouver. He has sailed many times at past regattas and was featured in SSM a few times. Working lights ( 200 of them in their own sockets, music, 3 bow thrusters). Boat is now retired. He and his dad built it from drawings obtained directly from Princess Cruise Lines.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S