New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2015, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by stegl
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,709 Posts
Good luck on the 12 lbs...Yes this one is one heavy bird whether fuel or electric. many advantages using electric vs fuel and the main one is you have consistent full power on both side when needed. With fuel if one sags then your aircraft is toast as it will quickly spiral into terra firma. Some say that it will run on one engine but not enough rudder to compensate for the torque and then there is reality that no flyer will react fast enough to keep it flying for long. About the only half chance thing is now sold by Down and Locked , I think ( used to be Troy Built Models) is an electronic board that will throttle back the good motor so you can bring back the throttle stick and then throttle back up using rudder to extend the glide.

Jeff is right; you need the revs to make it fly. All too often we get watts the motor is producing but if you are only getting 2000 rpm she will just pull like hell up the hill but will never get airborne unless over a cliff ! I look at my prop diameter and pitch plus revs to decide if she will fly. Second is I check the amps being pulled to give me an idea of flight time and if I am overloading the motor or esc. That's about it.
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Last edited by stegl; Jul 23, 2015 at 06:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by max891
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
after thinking about the cg a day or 2 im leaning towards moving the engines forward even more to about 2/2.25" that looks like the cg sweet spot. Funny thing is looking at different size spinners and how much shorter they get as the diameter decreases the tips of the spinners wont be but about 1/2 " further forward. and it will actually make the spinners a more scale size. I will mock it up and see. only thing I don't like with doing that is much more of the engine cylinder will show. but again that will help with cooling so I can live with it. if I go with that new engine placement the total weight should be well under 12 lbs.
max891 is offline Find More Posts by max891
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by stegl
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,709 Posts
Maybe moving the motors that much might create some aerodynamic issues ? Go back on this forum and see how some have opened the front cowl and load you receiver battery up front in the nose, might help
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Old Jul 24, 2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by max891
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
And cmp did not build outward thrust into the engines. That is something I am going to do with mine. that should help it fly on a single engine much better,
max891 is offline Find More Posts by max891