HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:50 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2005
1,054 Posts
Discussion
Need help with First Multirotor build

I am in the process of planning my first multi rotor build and need help evaluating completeness. My goal is to first get a flying multirotor with none of the FPV bells and whistles at this point. I want to start with the QAV250 ARF since it comes with a few of the accessories that I would need to buy any way. I did not want to buy the prebuilt unit since that would remove alot of the learning that I think is necessary to understanding how the machine operates. Also, even though I think the chassis for the QAV250 is high priced, the prebuilt price is way too high in my opinion.

Starting with the QAV250 ARF, it includes the following:
  • 4 12a Simonized speed controls
  • the air frame
  • power distribution
  • props
  • Motors

I would need to get the following to get started:
  • Flight Controller, Looking at Naze 32
  • 3s battery, I have some 2200 3s around. Is this too heavy?
  • motor extension/10 degree thrust. Does this make a big difference in flight?

What else would I need to get a quad flying? Are there misc parts that I am missing? Tools for programming controllers, etc? Any help would be appreciated as I would like an order to go out in the next few days.

Scot
rscarawa is offline Find More Posts by rscarawa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:34 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
3,456 Posts
if you have zero experiences with multis , I would avoid anything brushless until you learn how to fly. check out the hubsan x4 or syma x5c-1 , great beginner quads and crashing $40-$50 will be a lot easier on your wallet then $300-400 quads and safer for you as well as everyone around you.
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:40 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,054 Posts
I appreciate the advice. I have been practicing with a couple of micro sized copters and have been flying RC for a long time. That said, I am no expert but I am not worried too much about losing a few dollars on a new quad. This is to be my gateway into a much larger and more featured quad later.

One other thing, I live on 18 acres of mostly wooded land, with 3 acres cleared. Other than a horse, not too much safety concern.
That said, does my list look to be missing anything?
Last edited by rscarawa; Feb 22, 2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:47 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
3,456 Posts
You have most everything you need, tools such as soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, etc., that will help. Probably your best bet is to look at a combo package like Emax etc., multirotomania.com has plenty to choose from, not qav250 but as good IMO. The combo kits will come with everything you need to build it and get it flying minus radio which you need at a minimum 6 ch system. FrSky or turnigy 9x are great radios and easy to mod, configure even for beginners. Other than that, naze32 or clones I'll work great and lots of support available, multirotomania has those too, sold as dragonfly and they work great. The lipo may be a little heavy, I try to stay in 1300mah 3s range myself for good balance of power and flight times. Lastly, I would throw some lighting on it to help with orientation.
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:54 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,054 Posts
THx. I will check that site out.

I have a Taranis + and an 8ch receiver waiting to go in. Learning curve is steep on the Taranis but the software is very powerful. I can do things with basic planes that I could never do before on other advanced radios.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:09 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,054 Posts
Good site but there was a typo in the link somewhere.

Here is a link to something interesting.

http://multirotormania.com/multiroto...s-edition.html

Seems like a good starting point and it is about $170 or so less. Can you get motor arms with lightening holes in them like the QAV has? Are there shops that can add them if you send your arms to them?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:08 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,054 Posts
I see that one of the options is a 4s setup. WIll that impact my ability to put a camera on this frame down the road? Do the power distribution boards have a device to step the voltage down to 12v?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:32 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,054 Posts
I placed an order for that 4s setup thru multirotormania. I added a different power dist board that does voltage reduction for later FPV.

Thx for the link to this site and the advice.