HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2015, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
Need suggestions on ideal platform for hog/coyote control

I've fallen in love with the Vtol Trainer I first saw on youtube and found the build thread here.

I'm a cnc machinist and also have a 3D printer. I run a little flight simulation company called skyunlimited productions, and have real world flight training. While I'm good with many things that tie into this hobby .etc I'm not that familiar with available r/c components.

I'd love to have a device such as the Vtol Trainer, but have a few requirements.

FPV with minimum transmission range of 1,500 yards
Range of at least 1,500 yards with return to base if signal lost.
Capable of carrying 1-2lb of camera equipment.
Programmable GPS way-points in both Quad and Airplane modes
Autopilot capable of being programed to manage the transition between quad and airplane mode. Fly to x waypoint - hover/scan area then proceed to next in airplane mode.
GPS waypoint Autoland in quad mode
15 minutes of flight time, more would be desired.
Ability to add head tracking and pan tilt to the cameras at a later time.

I'd like to be able to deploy the aircraft from a side-by-side and have it fly patterns of GPS provided waypoints while we monitor and potentially engage coyotes and hogs. Having it as autonomous as possible would be best as our attention would not have to be constantly on it.

I thought a vtol project would be more ideal for my needs since I would like to maximize flight time and carrying capacity. Though there might be another route that would be more ideal for my needs.

I thought, Quad mode would not necessarily need to be sustained, but rather be primarily used for takeoff and landing. That way we can have more efficient use of the available power and have easier flight characteristics.

I would love input and suggestions From what gear could make it possible, expected costs for such a project. Similar projects that might also meet my needs .etc
TechCom is offline Find More Posts by TechCom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2015, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
I've fallen in love with the Vtol Trainer I first saw on youtube and found the build thread here.

I'm a cnc machinist and also have a 3D printer. I run a little flight simulation company called skyunlimited productions, and have real world flight training. While I'm good with many things that tie into this hobby .etc I'm not that familiar with available r/c components.

I'd love to have a device such as the Vtol Trainer, but have a few requirements.

FPV with minimum transmission range of 1,500 yards
Range of at least 1,500 yards with return to base if signal lost.
Capable of carrying 1-2lb of camera equipment.
Programmable GPS way-points in both Quad and Airplane modes
Autopilot capable of being programed to manage the transition between quad and airplane mode. Fly to x waypoint - hover/scan area then proceed to next in airplane mode.
GPS waypoint Autoland in quad mode
15 minutes of flight time, more would be desired.
Ability to add head tracking and pan tilt to the cameras at a later time.

I'd like to be able to deploy the aircraft from a side-by-side and have it fly patterns of GPS provided waypoints while we monitor and potentially engage coyotes and hogs. Having it as autonomous as possible would be best as our attention would not have to be constantly on it.

I thought a vtol project would be more ideal for my needs since I would like to maximize flight time and carrying capacity. Though there might be another route that would be more ideal for my needs.

I thought, Quad mode would not necessarily need to be sustained, but rather be primarily used for takeoff and landing. That way we can have more efficient use of the available power and have easier flight characteristics.

I would love input and suggestions From what gear could make it possible, expected costs for such a project. Similar projects that might also meet my needs .etc
I think you are a little ahead of the curve in terms of what is readily available commercially. As a matter of fact, commercial use of "drones" is currently illegal in the eyes of the FAA. I have no doubt that what you are talking about will happen though.

For the time being we are a bunch of hobbiests, and while some of us are doing some or most of what you require, we are not offering a turnkey solution. We are building our own solutions and having fun with them.

All of this means that you can do what you want, but you have to be prepared to learn a lot and do it yourself. If you are doing it for the fun of doing it then that can work. If you are doing it strictly as a means to an end then you really want a commercial product that you can just buy.

From what I have seen, the closest thing that you can buy to what you want is the FireFLY6 available here:

http://www.birdseyeview.aero/

If the price puts you off, then your expectations are unreasonable, because from what I can see they are offering a pretty complete soltion for little more than the cost of the parts.

Even with this aircraft as a starting point you would still have a lot to learn. If you don't enjoy this stuff for its own sake it will quickly become a pile of expensive junk.

By the way, nice mission description. We usually get something rather vague.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Feb 03, 2015 at 05:15 PM.