HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2015, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
956 Posts
Successful build

I built a 24V power supply exactly as listed in this video. I floated the ground on one unit and tested.

1000 Watt Power Supply Build Guide iCharger 306B EP Buddy Parallel Board Deans (14 min 47 sec)

I simply jumpered pins 4-6-8-10 together. I chose not to add a variable resistor to 3-9.

I get 12.49V on each unit. Both fans are at a very tolerable low idle with no load on the supply. Amp draw on both units combined is .44A (125V)

When I attached the 24V supply to my iCharger 306B and parallel charged a pair of 6S batteries at 30A, the fans ramped up speed. The interesting thing was that with the iCharger supplying 6S voltage and 30 Amps, the current draw was 7.80 Amps total, not per unit (125VAC from the wall). I'm still trying to figure the math out on that one but everything was working beautifully.

Thanks for all of the ideas in this thread.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2015, 04:33 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
The interesting thing was that with the iCharger supplying 6S voltage and 30 Amps, the current draw was 7.80 Amps total, not per unit (125VAC from the wall). I'm still trying to figure the math out on that
Roughly speaking, and considering unity power factor...

7.80A x 125V (wall power) = 975 watts from AC source.
30A x 25V = ~750 watts from charger.

975-750 watts = 225 watts total losses in charger and power supply.

End-to-end efficiency = 750 / 975 = ~77%, which is pretty darn good.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2015, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Roughly speaking, and considering unity power factor...

7.80A x 125V (wall power) = 975 watts from AC source.
30A x 25V = ~750 watts from charger.

975-750 watts = 225 watts total losses in charger and power supply.

End-to-end efficiency = 750 / 975 = ~77%, which is pretty darn good.

Mark
Thank you for that, I'm glad the numbers are in the ballpark. I just smoked an ATX computer power supply the other day only putting out 12V and 10A. Compared to that supply, this 24V setup is a beast.
Last edited by thekubiaks; Jan 31, 2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 07:58 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,699 Posts
any tips for installing computer case fans in the wall of a harbor freight case to improve circulation for a dps-600B build? Whether throttled based on temperature, switch, or just plain always on when the power is on. What's the simplest way to power and drive them?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 02, 2015, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
any tips for installing computer case fans in the wall of a harbor freight case to improve circulation for a dps-600B build? Whether throttled based on temperature, switch, or just plain always on when the power is on. What's the simplest way to power and drive them?
As long as you have generous openings on both sides (with the fans and exhaust oriented at them), that's all you need. Going on 3 years with this set-up.
See my post #315 on this thread.
SCOREMAN is offline Find More Posts by SCOREMAN
Last edited by SCOREMAN; Feb 02, 2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 09:29 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,699 Posts
So those are just screened openings? Looking at additional cooling since one of my supplies on my 24v47a setup just died a few months short of 3 years living in a HF briefcase. Of course leaving it plugged in 24/7 for extended periods on my bench probably didn't help.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 03, 2015, 03:05 PM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
221 Posts
Great thread here guys.
I wonder if someone have figured out the way to connect external fan to this PSU, so that the external fan speed would also be adjusted according to temp. Like the main fan ?
DerClown is offline Find More Posts by DerClown
Old Feb 03, 2015, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerClown View Post
Great thread here guys.
I wonder if someone have figured out the way to connect external fan to this PSU, so that the external fan speed would also be adjusted according to temp. Like the main fan ?
You could tap the psu fan red/blk for power to the external fan and they would run at approximately the same speed. The big question is, can the controller handle double the amperage for two fans?? Since the PSU only costs ~ $20, its worth a try?? or, you could do this:

Here is a fancy way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Temp...item4619687ee5

or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-F...item3f14c853b5
Old Feb 05, 2015, 03:51 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Dec 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
I just used a 72mm (I think... It wasn't an 80mm) computer case fan capable of 12v, disconnected the rpm sensing wire from it, and soldered a switch on the positive lead. I then soldered the switch positive and fan negative into bullet connectors that I plugged into the 12v connectors on one of my power supplies.

I only run the fan when it's warm out, or I'm running both channels of my 308duo at greater than 15a because my system is mounted in a ventilated charger box. Works well
Skidpad is offline Find More Posts by Skidpad
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2012
183 Posts
I have a pair of DPS-600PBs set up in series, with the ground floated on the 2nd one.

They've been working fine for the last 6 months or, so but recently I've been getting an intermittent clicking sound when charging 4s or 6s batteries at 20A, followed by the charger displaying 'control error'. Yesterday I could also hear the fan revving up and down, but I'm not sure which one of them it was doing it on. If I charge at 15A it generally will work ok.

How can I find out which of the supplies is faulty? Is it safe to connect my charger to the supply with the floated DC ground and try charging with it?
Wreck_nz is offline Find More Posts by Wreck_nz
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:48 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,509 Posts
I've charged off just my floated-ground supply by itself numerous times. No issues.
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Feb 16, 2015, 07:10 PM
Joined May 2012
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I've charged off just my floated-ground supply by itself numerous times. No issues.
Ok cheers. Yeah I just charged a 6s battery at 20A off PSU #1, and it seemed to handle it fine, if not getting the 12awg wire between the PSU and charger a little warm.

Hooked it up to the floated PSU #2, started charging at 10A, and it started to do the clicking and fan revving up and down after a bit, so I guess PSU #2 needs to be replaced. Now to find another one for a reasonable price...
Wreck_nz is offline Find More Posts by Wreck_nz
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:44 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,509 Posts
Check using the same conditions. Do a 20A charge from each supply, not 20A and 10A.

My supplies will have their fans jump back and forth between slow and fast when I'm drawing around 20A from them, I think (charging 6S at 10A will draw around 20A from a 12V supply). It's possible that the second charge was near the cutoff point between the two fan speeds. Try charging at 20A from that supply and see how it behaves.
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr