New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 04, 2016, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by Pilot_MM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2015
277 Posts
Alright guys. Another "this or that" thread.

Pitts or P3?

I have the P-47 and want something sporty with the ability to maybe learn some 3D? I don't know. I have three 2S 280mAh batteries so I would like to use those and maybe eventually get some 2S
Babblebats.

Thanks!
-MM
Pilot_MM is offline Find More Posts by Pilot_MM
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2016, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,873 Posts
I also have a UMX Jug - and the Pitts, along with a bunch more UMX & larger stuff. The Pitts is an excellent-flying scale unlimited aerobatic plane. It can do some basic 3D in the right hands, but that's not really its forte. In contrast, the UMX P3 excels at 3D. Like the full-scale, it's a purpose-built 3D machine. I haven't flown one yet, but it certainly appears to be extremely capable in the videos I've seen & it gets great reviews in the main thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2474637

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by spudvr
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Nov 2003
268 Posts
I made a new thread, but maybe I should have posted here first;
I recently mistakenly ordered a OrangeRX MicroRX3S and have nothing to put it in. Instead of selling it at a loss, I've been playing with the idea of using it as an excuse to expand the hangar. I've done my best to search for PNF models with the 1.25mm molex servos, but I'm afraid I'm missing options. I'll keep browsing the threads now, but any recommendations would be great! If PNF is too hard to find, I'll go back and start researching arfs and kits.
Thanks in advance!
Spud
spudvr is offline Find More Posts by spudvr
Old Mar 15, 2016, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by microheli
Joined Jul 2006
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

But I'm a sucker for scale Cubs, so I'm also adding the UMX J-3 to my hangar.

I predict that even though the J-3's wing-loading is lower than the CC's, the J-3 should fare better in gusty/turbulent conditions because it has a flat-bottom wing, rather than an undercambered wing like the CC has.

Other than that - I expect the UMX J-3 will behave just like a scale Cub is supposed to behave, in all but one aspect of flight: climb-rate/vertical performance. At low elevations, the CC has a 1:1 thrust-to-weight with the Pitts/Yak prop & a stout low-sag pack. That should put the J-3's vertical performance well-above 300 HP Monster Cub territory!
I can say the stock 5.75 x 2.5 "Stump Puller" Prop give the J-3 a incredible over 1:1 thrust/weight unlimited vertical climb performance
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Apr 09, 2016, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by FireHawx
FireHawx
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Oct 2011
1,612 Posts
So, what's the answer... Pitts S-1 or the P3. I looking for fun acrobatics/sport durability (umx and durability don't go together). Yrs of experience with small-large planes,jets. Just looking for something to fly in on my street in front of my home instead of going to the field.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Apr 11, 2016, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by TucsonMike
Joined Jan 2015
14 Posts
Get both. Then when one breaks down you can fly the other while you're waiting on parts. Truth be told, I've got 4 UMX micros (Habu, Yak, Sbach, Carbon Cub) and they've all been pretty good in terms of not needing repairs unless an unplanned landing occurred.
TucsonMike is offline Find More Posts by TucsonMike
Old Apr 12, 2016, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by FireHawx
FireHawx
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Oct 2011
1,612 Posts
Bought the PITTS just waiting on the mail.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
I can say the stock 5.75 x 2.5 "Stump Puller" Prop give the J-3 a incredible over 1:1 thrust/weight unlimited vertical climb performance
Very nice! Would be a blast to have a full-scale Cub with vertical performance like that!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old May 20, 2016, 01:15 AM
Find More Posts by brazzo
Austria
Joined Jan 2016
1 Posts
Hi guys,
Bought a Umx Sport Cub S with Safe for beginning, but its a bit too slow for me. Relaxed flying, but a bit "boring".
Then I went for the Umx T-28, which is much faster and not that relaxing, as you can't really fly super slow for landing etc.
But anyhow a really great plane, also with a great scale appearance.

My idea is to get the Umx Carbon Cub SS as it could be a good mix of both; slow when needed, but also fast and acrobatic when I'm ready for it.

What do you think?
Is the Cub ss as fast as the T-28 on full throttle? Is it on the same agile level, or more difficult to fly? It's on 2s, so imo better n more powerful
brazzo is offline Find More Posts by brazzo