New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by nolebotic
Joined Mar 2007
158 Posts
Discussion
Plans for Sport Plane Using HZ Champ Radio Gear?

Can anyone suggest some plans/drawings for a sport style plane that would use my HZ Champ radio/power gear? It could be foam or balsa. I have flown my champ now for several seasons (one of the best RC planes I've ever had), but I'd like something faster with ailerons, and I love to build! Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in.
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2015, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,639 Posts
These guys have short kits many planes use micro guts but use the p51 micro motor and gear box $14.95 new for motor and gear box.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Duet repairs and flight
Old Nov 20, 2015, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by benz11
Australia, WA, North Perth
Joined Jan 2014
274 Posts
The Champ is only a 3 channel, so if you want ailerons you will have to give up having a rudder... Do you just want to build an aileron/elevator/throttle "bank and yank" plane? Or a rudder/elevator/throttle plane with enough dihedral that rudder alone will turn it?

Have a look in the "Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models" (http://www.rcgroups.com/scratchbuilt...cro-models-85/) for heaps of ideas.
benz11 is offline Find More Posts by benz11
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:22 AM
Joined Mar 2007
158 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking at a simple 3 ch. Ail/ele/throttle for bank and yank Do you think that's even possible with the stock champ brick and brushed motor if I keep it small and light? I like the idea of "design challenges" and sticking with the stock gear I have without any additional equipment.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2014
274 Posts
Yeah its possible! The UM Pole Cat was a awesome little 1S pylon racer style sports plane that flew well bank and yank and used basically the same gear as you have. Not to put you off... but the only problem I see you having is the UM's with ailerons have a bell-crank set-up so that they can use one servo to operate both ailerons. You wouldn't have that gear spare from the Champ, so you will either need to add another servo so you have a servo for each aileron, or try to source the bell-crank assembly from another plane. (I couldn't imagine it being fun to make something like that).

Another option is to build something like the UM T-28; it is a low winged warbird with ailerons, but it has enough dihedral that it can be turned well with just with the rudder. If you are just trying to avoid the "trainer" look of the Champ, you could build something like the T-28 with just a rudder to avoid the bell-crank problem again. Looks great and flies great as well!

Good luck and please let us know what you end up building! I have always wanted to build a profile sports plane like the Pole Cat, the only problem is the receiver is the part that always breaks first on my Ultra Micros!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 07:09 AM
Joined Mar 2007
158 Posts
Great info thanks! Yeah, I really like that polecat it's a great looking plane and it's exactly the type I'd like to scratchbuild. I looked at the link you sent me and saw lots of nice examples that use champ gear. The bellcrank setup looks do-able, but I may just pull the trigger on an extra servo and the p51 motor upgrade that everyone says is awesome. The items aren't that expensive so I might as well. Know of any drawings out there for an ar6400 size polecat or similar?

Thanks again
Nole
Old Nov 21, 2015, 09:06 AM
Joined Jan 2014
274 Posts
Nole I have looked a few times as well and the closest I have found to that airframe shape is some of the 3D planes. One of my favourites is the "Sbach 342 Build Thread - *FREE PLANS*" (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180912)

A forum member on here called Eastcoast78 scaled the Sbach plans down to a 17" wingspan and fitted UM electronics to it. It looked fantastic and flew great. Here's his blog with a write up and a couple of videos as well: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616841

EDIT: I've just remembered the servos are built in to the Champ receiver, not just plugged in so I am not sure now if you can run ailerons from a 3 channel receiver? Do some research; you may have to build a R/E/T plane after all, unless you can mount the brick quite far forward and use the onboard servo to move the aileron bellcrank (I've seen it done on a micro F-22, just with ailerons and elevator instead of elevons)
Last edited by benz11; Nov 23, 2015 at 12:25 AM.