Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Plaisance
Joined Aug 2005
340 Posts
Discussion
New VTOL Rc model from Graupner

Hallo!
Just found on the web this new VTOL RC model from Graupner:

http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/serv...9944.RTF&PIC=7

IMHO too expensive for how it looks in the photos.........I don't know if this ARF-VTOL will fly good but I'm sure that very few people will buy it

ettore
quenda is offline Find More Posts by quenda
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2015, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by leadfeather
Winging it Ō>
Joined May 2006
10,332 Posts
Looks like a nice model.

Here is a link for the english page .

Graupner VTOL
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,027 Posts
The price, 560 Euros, ($630), does seems a little
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 27, 2015, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by specriv
United States, CA, Martinez
Joined Mar 2005
361 Posts
graupner x44

http://www.helicomicro.com/graupner-vtol-x44/
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Jun 29, 2015, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by OwlCity
Joined Mar 2014
78 Posts
Just build your own with foamboard and KK/OpenAeroVTOL! It'll be much more fun. It shouldn't cost much more than building a quadcopter except for a couple of servos to tilt the rotors.
OwlCity is offline Find More Posts by OwlCity
Old Jun 29, 2015, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by RCvertt
Joined Aug 2007
4,740 Posts
This would be for those that don't want to or more accurately don't have the time to build their own as is the case with most RTF models

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
The price, 560 Euros, ($630), does seems a little
That price ain't coming down until people start buying them. They drop it to 400 and people will cry that it's not 200.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 29, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by specriv
United States, CA, Martinez
Joined Mar 2005
361 Posts
Graupner X44 VTOL | Flite Test (10 min 3 sec)
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Oct 28, 2015, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by ZoomNBoom
Joined Jun 2014
313 Posts
I wonder why its that slow. Now all tilting vtol's seem to suffer from this, mostly it seems due to the compromise that needs to made for the prop, but this graupner's forward speed is truly pathetic even for a vtol.

They are using relatively fast props (8x5) and given that it can hover, it cant lack power. Would they have limited full throttle in fff ?
ZoomNBoom is offline Find More Posts by ZoomNBoom
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomNBoom View Post
I wonder why its that slow. Now all tilting vtol's seem to suffer from this, mostly it seems due to the compromise that needs to made for the prop, but this graupner's forward speed is truly pathetic even for a vtol.

They are using relatively fast props (8x5) and given that it can hover, it cant lack power. Would they have limited full throttle in fff ?
This is a VTOL designed as a RTF for non-VTOL flyers so it needs to have a very wide "transition corridor". Basically that means lots of wing area. VTOLs also tend to be light weight so they can hover, and with lots of wing area that means slow. They are not completing a mission, beyond being easy and fun to fly and I think they nailed that target very well.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Oct 28, 2015, 06:14 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomNBoom View Post
...They are using relatively fast props (8x5) and given that it can hover, it cant lack power...
Static thrust is not the best for speed. Being able to take off vertically is like having first gear in your car. It'll get you up the hill but you won't go very fast on a straight road. These airplanes don't have gears so they are pretty much stuck in 3rd or 4th gear if we compare it to a 6 speed transmission.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by jonrms
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
Hi All I have bought the Ripmax version of this and REGRET it deeply already. Ripmax have no idea how to set this up. It came with no instructions etc. I am annoyed. Also it stated that you must use a 4S 1300mah lipo yet they say between a 1300-1500. I questioned Ripmax about this and also asked what the difference between this and the Graupner, they said they are quite similar.. to me they are identical! I am including a picture to prove I have one. I hope it works. also here is my next VTOL ..... Don't buy a Ripmax I highly advise against it FYI! http://www.robotshop.com/uk/firefly6...JAD4A.facebook
jonrms is offline Find More Posts by jonrms
Old Jan 14, 2016, 09:25 AM
Joined Jun 2014
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrms View Post
Hi All I have bought the Ripmax version of this and REGRET it deeply already. Ripmax have no idea how to set this up. It came with no instructions etc. I am annoyed.
5 seconds of googling, and here is your manual:
http://www2.ripmax.net/Instructions/A-RMX200.pdf

Quote:
Also it stated that you must use a 4S 1300mah lipo yet they say between a 1300-1500.
So, what is your problem with that? Surely it can handle both, especially if you pick a light 1500 battery.

Quote:
I questioned Ripmax about this and also asked what the difference between this and the Graupner, they said they are quite similar.. to me they are identical!
Indeed the fuselage looks identical and almost certainly comes from the same mold. Electronics could be different. Again, what is the problem with that?

Quote:
also here is my next VTOL .....
I would advise you to wait with that. Not much wrong with the firefly, other than the compromises all VTOL's suffer from, but it sounds like you may want to get some more rc building/flying experience before going that route.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by jonrms
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I already had that link and I am sure I left out a lot of my sob story. I am more than compitant to build and even design models FYI. Sorry if that sounds rude but I took that as a insult. I admit to NEVER building a VTOL but over 2 decades experience and a box of log books to prove my competence in flying you see where I am going. Main point only 5 minutes flying time. Where as 45 minutes 15 minum. I still don't know what rates and expos to enter. I will set this up as a plane and use the transition lead for retracts.
jonrms is offline Find More Posts by jonrms
Old Jan 14, 2016, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,740 Posts
4 cell on that Ripmax? Wondering what motors it has that can handle 4s? Should be faster than the Grap it sounds like. Good luck with the FireFly as well. Should be a good build from what I have heard.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 07:06 PM
Joined Jun 2014
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrms View Post
Thank you for the reply. I already had that link and I am sure I left out a lot of my sob story. I am more than compitant to build and even design models FYI. Sorry if that sounds rude but I took that as a insult. I admit to NEVER building a VTOL but over 2 decades experience and a box of log books to prove my competence in flying you see where I am going.
I just went by what you wrote, Im in no position to judge, its that if you're so experienced, Im a little surprised "1300" vs "1300-1500"mAH would confuse you, or for that matter, what confused you about setting it up. If you find the graupner tricky, the firefly is going to be quite something else, I assure you.

Quote:
Main point only 5 minutes flying time. Where as 45 minutes 15 minum.
If those numbers are what you expect for the firefly, you may be in for another disappointment. Without cutting out additional battery bays, what you quote as minimum is likely to be closer to the maximum.

Quote:
I still don't know what rates and expos to enter.
Well, after 2 decades, surely you'd know those are basically personal preference ?

@RCvertt
The graupner version is also 4S. It may be many things, but fast is not one of them.