New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by slow_flier
United States, PA, Pottstown
Joined Dec 2009
415 Posts
Brodak Heat Shrink Covering Fabric (BH-918)

www.brodak.com
slow_flier is online now Find More Posts by slow_flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2015, 08:44 PM
Joined Dec 2009
415 Posts
Small parts covered...

OK, after an hour, or so, the "small parts" are covered. On to the wings.

Once I have the wings covered, I'll start sealing the fabric with 3-4 coats of Minwax Polycrylic (cut 2:1 with water). Since the images that I have only show a pristine, new airplane; I'll leave the covering in its bright white finish.

Unfortunately, I'm going off on a two week travel travel binge to France, Italy and Texas this Saturday so this is probably all your going to get until I get back.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
33,922 Posts
France and Italy I can understand.... Texas?? Having lived in the "armpit" (and I'm being nice) of the nation, (Burkburnett, Texas) for ten years I can for sure I have absolutely no desire to visit there again... Some parts of Texas do have great BBQ, and that is it's "only" saving grace!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
415 Posts
A couple of business trips.

Leaving Saturday to get to Itally on Sunday for a plant tour and meetings with the engineering team on Monday. Then onto three days of meetings in France and then back home on Saturday.

Home for 36 hours then off to Dallas for the CAMX show. Home finally, on Thursday night.

WaaHoo.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2009
415 Posts
OK, I got bored last night and I had just received the replacement Elevator/Aileron horns from Charlie (Apparently one of my cats decided that they were great toys and appropriated one of the aileron horns - Thanks Charlie) so I put them together.

Tonight, I took and hour, or so, and sanded them to shape and stained them. They are now safely in the "Parts" bag, away from temptation.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by JIMA
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
France and Italy I can understand.... Texas?? Having lived in the "armpit" (and I'm being nice) of the nation, (Burkburnett, Texas) for ten years I can for sure I have absolutely no desire to visit there again... Some parts of Texas do have great BBQ, and that is it's "only" saving grace!!

SteveT.
Heck Steve, Burkburnett is barely even in Texas. Having spent some time at Shepherd AFB when I was in the Air Force I can't argue too much about that area of Texas. The weather is always windy. It is in the middle of Tornado alley. And it is just too close to Indian country and the flatlands of the Great Prairie.

Now I live in East Texas and a finer place to live you will never find. Still a part of the Southern Pine forest. Great people and plenty of outdoor recreation. Weather is good except for a little high heat in the Summer.

You can find just about any and all types of environments in the Great State of Texas. Just depends on the location.

Plus it is the only state in the Union with the legal right to succeed if the economy continues to tank. A part of the agreement with the US when the Republic of Texas joined the Union.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 17, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
33,922 Posts
Agreed....and yep... I have been in the eastern part of Texas (on the way to Fort Polk and Leesville, LA for a couple of gigs my band was playing)., had mosquitoes the size of Blue Jays...and you have humidity with that high heat as I remember it...

But yes, there are some good parts of Texas, and some very good people (just not many in Burk)... I had a rough time growing up there and I was definitely ready to leave..and haven't been back since...but as noted.. I do miss the BBQ...

As to windy...... Texas wind gauges...consist of a 30' telephone pole with 20 feet of logging chain with a 30 pound rock hanging on it. if it's out about 20-30 it's a light breeze, 45 kind of windy... straight out a windy day... gone... a tornado!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 02, 2015, 09:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
415 Posts
Well, I survived the trips to Europe and Texas with only a head cold, so I'm back at the Eastbourne. I'm in the process of putting the Mod Podge on the wings but it is a SLOW process.

Each side of a wing panel takes about a half hour. Tonight, I coated just the bottom surface of each and it took over an hour. Tomorrow, I'll try and get the first coat on the top surfaces. They can then dry over the weekend will I travel to western NY on some family business.

When I get back, I'll give then a light sanding, to remove any fuzziness,then put on a second coat. With a little luck, they'll be covered in two weeks.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 08:47 PM
Joined Dec 2009
415 Posts
Bottom of wings now covered.

I gave both bottoms a second coat earlier this morning and let it dry. The bottoms are now covered and tomorrow I will give the tops their second coat and give the overlap areas two coats. When dry, I'll cover the tops.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 07:44 PM
Joined Dec 2009
415 Posts
Wings Covered

This morning I got the wings covered and this evening I put down a single coat of diluted Polycrylic (2 parts water : 1 part Polycrylic). Tomorrow, when this is dry, I'll put on a second diluted coat. This will continue for a couple days until the weave starts filling then a final full strength final coat to complete the filling.