Old Jan 23, 2016, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by Waitin4dv
United States, CA, Murrieta
Joined Feb 2015
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Rob, if the roll tendency remains with low throttle or no power, then it isn't the thrust line. I'd guess wings with different incidence or the fuse not exactly straight.
Have you tried lateral balancing it?
Waitin4dv is offline Find More Posts by Waitin4dv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2016, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good upgrade motor? The stock motor just doesn't have enough oomph and the plane flies more like a Cessna than a warbird.
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Old Feb 18, 2016, 04:33 AM
Find More Posts by Gary F
United Kingdom, Warwick
Joined Jan 2016
18 Posts
Hi Folks,
I recently purchased a used FMS P-40 from e-bay pilotless but in very good condition. The previous owner kindly indicated in the manual that the C of G for this particular aircraft is 75mm so after fitting a new pilot and rebalancing she is ready to go (when the weather finally decides to improve that is). Now I have read this discussion all the way through all 209 pages and gathered that for a successful flight C of G and elevator travel are crucial. Hopefully I have got the C of G correct but how much elevator travel is needed? Come to think of it how much travel is needed with all the control surfaces? Do any of you fly this aircraft with high/low rates if so can I have an idea of settings. I have to say that the manual for this aircraft is next to useless.

Regards
Gary.
Gary F is online now Find More Posts by Gary F
Old Feb 22, 2016, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,612 Posts
Anyone know where I can get the original P40 3 blade one piece prop? The new "spare part" is not the same. The "replacement" is 3 separate blades and they don't mate with the original spinner back plate. I need a new spinner to accept the new blade arrangement or an original 3 blade one piece molded prop. ???

I decided to buy a couple of actuators for the 1400mm P47. They appear to be the same as the older P40 1400mm. I have the hardware from the old units and will add the "turn" mechanism to the new actuators. Hope it works as they are out of the original P40 retracts.

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 22, 2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by santanig5
United States, NJ, Roxbury Township
Joined Nov 2014
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
Anyone know where I can get the original P40 3 blade one piece prop? The new "spare part" is not the same. The "replacement" is 3 separate blades and they don't mate with the original spinner back plate. I need a new spinner to accept the new blade arrangement or an original 3 blade one piece molded prop. ???

I decided to buy a couple of actuators for the 1400mm P47. They appear to be the same as the older P40 1400mm. I have the hardware from the old units and will add the "turn" mechanism to the new actuators. Hope it works as they are out of the original P40 retracts.

RJ
If the actuators don't work out check out this option.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578322
santanig5 is offline Find More Posts by santanig5
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:43 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santanig5 View Post
If the actuators don't work out check out this option.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578322
Thanks for the reply.
I plan on doing the same thing using the older style p 47 actuators. I'll install the p40 1400mm struts into the p 47 actuators. It should be a simple swap out but, you never know 'til you try. The "turn" post should bolt on top without a problem ......I hope.

RJ
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by limodune
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
656 Posts
You can purchase stock P40 replacement retracts with metal trunnions or just the metal trunnions to fit your own standard retract from PW RC

http://pw-rc.com/index.php?route=pro...path=62&page=2

Mike
limodune is online now Find More Posts by limodune
Last edited by limodune; Feb 24, 2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by Rob Knox
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
3,100 Posts
In Print

G'day gents,
I recently received a bit of a buzz, when I found that my good friend Peter Kraus, had authored an article on my customised John Jackson P40 in RC Model World magazine.
As you can probably tell, I'm a little bit chuffed.

Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
Old Feb 25, 2016, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by Prowler901
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,347 Posts
That's great, Rob! Good story. It is a wonderful thing when we can honor the memories of those that have protected the freedoms we all enjoy.

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Feb 25, 2016, 02:28 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limodune View Post
You can purchase stock P40 replacement retracts with metal trunnions or just the metal trunnions to fit your own standard retract from PW RC

Mike
Thanks but, that's not the same gear. Struts and trunions are much different than those pictured. I have the strut/trunion combo but, need actuator (need one only but, ordered two ...just in case).
I think the older version of the P47 actuators will do the job once the trunions are swapped out. They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday) and once I make (or try to make) the swap, I'll post it here.

If you compare the new version of the P40 1400mm with the older "camo" version, you'll see there's quite a bit of difference in the gear ....including price.

RJ
Old Feb 25, 2016, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by Rob Knox
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler901 View Post
That's great, Rob! Good story. It is a wonderful thing when we can honor the memories of those that have protected the freedoms we all enjoy.

Todd
Thanks Todd
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
Old Feb 27, 2016, 06:31 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,612 Posts
SUCCESS !!!! I now have two working retracts for my OLD 1400mm FMS P40.

The new actuators arrived from Motion a day late (today). On first inspection they didn't look they would work as the trunions were metal. I almost returned them without taking them out of the package. However, having waited for these to arrive (and being a bit desperate) I felt I could sacrifice one for experimental purposes. I disassembled the unit, removed the metal trunion, and dropped the original retract unit in place. I reassembled using the old "90 deg. turn" top plate and it works like a champ. Fit was perfect without forcing or trimming. So, if you're looking for a replacement actuator and still have the original strut & turn mechanism, the P47 actuators will work well. At $14 each they are a bargain.

I'm reassembling the airplane but, waiting for the nose cowl to dry after painting it flat black. I intend to repaint the entire airframe after a few test flights to ensure she's in good flying condition.

RJ
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by limodune
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limodune View Post

Mike
Just to be clear these are for the old style P40 that have plastic trunnions not the new P40

Mike
limodune is online now Find More Posts by limodune
Old Feb 28, 2016, 06:05 AM
Find More Posts by santanig5
United States, NJ, Roxbury Township
Joined Nov 2014
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
SUCCESS !!!! I now have two working retracts for my OLD 1400mm FMS P40.

The new actuators arrived from Motion a day late (today). On first inspection they didn't look they would work as the trunions were metal. I almost returned them without taking them out of the package. However, having waited for these to arrive (and being a bit desperate) I felt I could sacrifice one for experimental purposes. I disassembled the unit, removed the metal trunion, and dropped the original retract unit in place. I reassembled using the old "90 deg. turn" top plate and it works like a champ. Fit was perfect without forcing or trimming. So, if you're looking for a replacement actuator and still have the original strut & turn mechanism, the P47 actuators will work well. At $14 each they are a bargain.

I'm reassembling the airplane but, waiting for the nose cowl to dry after painting it flat black. I intend to repaint the entire airframe after a few test flights to ensure she's in good flying condition.

RJ
Good to know, but in the end do you still have plastic trunions?

GJS
santanig5 is offline Find More Posts by santanig5
Old Mar 02, 2016, 06:15 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santanig5 View Post
Good to know, but in the end do you still have plastic trunions?

GJS

Yes. I find the plastic ones work and hold up well. When I broke the gear, only one actuator was damaged and the part that broke was the metal slider that moves the trunion. Of course, the motor was also damaged.
The plastic trunion was in excellent condition and I re-used it.

RJ