SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2015, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by benzy2
Joined Jan 2009
4 Posts
Discussion
Why diversity and not a T connector?

I'm new to FPV and have been reading/watching videos on setup as much as possible. I've learned all about antennas, bands, ground stations, etc. After picking up a FPV Nano QX I'm absolutely hooked on FPV.

One thing I see a lot is people talk about diversity receivers that switch from one antenna to another. Makes sense and seems valuable in multiple situations. What I don't know and haven't seen answered is why we simply don't use a T connector and hook two antenna into a single receiver. Mostly this came about by wanting to add a directional antenna as well as a mushroom style onto my Fatsharks without extra wires. It doesn't seem to be done at all so I'm assuming there is a significant reason not to do so but I don't see it listed in most of the educational posts/videos. Any help on why this isn't acceptable?
benzy2 is online now Find More Posts by benzy2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by DanT
United States, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,618 Posts
Simple,, but I don't have the right words .
Two antennas will not work together ...!
Done .. LOL
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Old May 18, 2015, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by waltr
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
6,021 Posts
If the signal arrives at the second antenna 180° of of phase from the signal on the first antenna then the signals will cancel and the RX will see NO Signal.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old May 18, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by CyberJay
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post
If the signal arrives at the second antenna 180° of of phase from the signal on the first antenna then the signals will cancel and the RX will see NO Signal.
This...

People do build antenna networks where multiple antennas are carefully built into an array. This can boost the signal if it's done correctly. But if it's not done correctly it can reduce the signal.

You cannot just randomly connect antennas together. Phased arrays are fairly advanced antenna building, each component of the antenna matters, the placement of each antenna matters, the length of coax feeding each antenna matters. It's not an easy thing.

-J
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old May 20, 2015, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
This...

People do build antenna networks where multiple antennas are carefully built into an array. This can boost the signal if it's done correctly. But if it's not done correctly it can reduce the signal.

You cannot just randomly connect antennas together. Phased arrays are fairly advanced antenna building, each component of the antenna matters, the placement of each antenna matters, the length of coax feeding each antenna matters. It's not an easy thing.

-J
Nailed it! Well put!
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy