New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by DGHallal
Joined Aug 2013
19 Posts
Discussion
EDF nosecone/balance

Well I spent the better part of the morning balancing a few edf blades and motor set-ups. I first balanced the blades statically on a magnetic balancer, then used the clock method after mounting in the edf unit. I have a question concerning the nosecones (the aluminum cone that covers the nut holding the fan on). Putting them back on puts evything all out of whack again. I expected a bit more tweaking after putting them back on but man they are way off. My general question is can I just leave them off without hurting any performance. The fans are 70mm using the Turnigy 2855 motors, one is in a Dr Madthrust aluminum housing with a 10 blade, the other is a housing that came with the F22 kit from HK with a 5 blade it came with and a 10 blade replacement from HK.
DGHallal is offline Find More Posts by DGHallal
Last edited by DGHallal; Dec 22, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2014, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,055 Posts
What fan are you using? CS makes 12 and 10 blade fans but the optional alloy spinners are specific to each type. The 12 blade is slightly larger than the 10 blade spinner. If you run the 12 blade spinner on the 10 blade fan it will not center properly. It can be made to fit tightly by taking some material off the widest part. A tricky operation but I had to make a pair fit recently and I used a belt sander.

If this is not the case, then you need to clock the spinner to the best position, then add an external trial weight like a piece of duct tape. Clock the tape to see where you need the weight added and add inside the spinner with epoxy or CA. A few trial fittings with more trial weights will tell you when you have enough.

I wouldn't run without the spinner but can't say how much it would affect performance.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by DGHallal
Joined Aug 2013
19 Posts
Hey 4stripes, thanks for post. One is a Dr Mad Thrust 10 blade, the other is a fan unit that came with my F-22. I balanced the 5 blade fan that came with the unit and also a 10 blade replacement fan I got from HK. They both came with the spinners. Might have to play around some more, just thought I'd throw this question out to see if anyone did any testing. I tried to find something already posted but didn't find anything. I could swear I'd seen something before that said just leave em off but couldn't find anything.
DGHallal is offline Find More Posts by DGHallal
Old Dec 21, 2014, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by killickb
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,666 Posts
I have three 70mm edf models using the CS-10 fan and am not using the spinner in any of them. Can't tell you if it is hurting the performance to any great degree because have no way to compare but certainly these models fly to my satisfaction.
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by killer vtwin
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,205 Posts
I had the same issue I just left the stupid cone off and never looked back . it ran fine
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by John Lueke
Miamisburg OH
Joined Dec 2003
534 Posts
http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...ormation_id=11

Try the method in this link. I was leaving the nosecone off and tried this recently on a couple of fans and it seems to help.
John Lueke is offline Find More Posts by John Lueke