SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by crashmaster 1
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
Discussion
PCM mini q

hey there ,, been trying to find some info / threads about builds, owners reviews and general thoughts about this mini dlg, the only thing i`ve found was some limited info on there home web page and some 30 second clips on you tube .. hav`nt found much info on many mini dlg`s here which was a surprise and i just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction, have read the posts about the elf, libelle, some on the mini topflight as well but dont find anything on the higher priced carbon mini`s any help appreciated...
crashmaster 1 is offline Find More Posts by crashmaster 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2014, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by funkz
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
449 Posts
Is a great plane. My first DLG (although is quite a diff story compared to a "full" size 1.5m wingspan). I can assure you it might take far more hard landings than the Elf and maybe even cut better throw wind. Also, since you mention the Q for Ailerons you have far more to play with.

I used to fly mine in the Alps and will miss it there over the summer. I had left it in Colombia in the hands of a friend who will fix the fuselage and get it back in shape.

Hope this helps.
funkz is online now Find More Posts by funkz
Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
hey thanks for the reply, yer i was wanting something smaller to travel with and with ailerons been flying for a while slope soaring not looking to win any completions with a smaller Dlg but wanting something transportable and with ailerons was thinking the blaster 2 with a takedown wing, but seems no where stocks them over here and the new 3.5 and 3 are slightly out of my price range and dont have this feature either way, dont really want to buy used as i want to build it myself, I was thinking also about the topflight line up as well i have read that the difference between 1.5 and 1m is quite substantial as to glid rate and hang times but ill only be competing agains myself and wanted a smaller wing, you mentioned your friend was going to fix it. is the fuselage fragile in crash or can it take a bit of abuse also what kind of flight times were you getting out of it in dead air ??
Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by funkz
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster 1 View Post
you mentioned your friend was going to fix it. is the fuselage fragile in crash or can it take a bit of abuse also what kind of flight times were you getting out of it in dead air ??
Not fragile, is PCM quality.. i just flew it intensively. I can' tell about times.. perhaps 1min average flight.

Im not sure about the diff in price but look at the rookie, also from PCM.at
funkz is online now Find More Posts by funkz
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by surfgeorge
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
Not fragile, is PCM quality.. i just flew it intensively. I can' tell about times.. perhaps 1min average flight.

Im not sure about the diff in price but look at the rookie, also from PCM.at
I can confirm that the Mini-Q is quite strong and great fun to fly! The boom is very strong for a plane of this size, the balsa tails are much more robust than the superlight composites on most full size DLGs, especially after I reinforced the bottom of the vertical stabilizer with thin glass cloth.
Only the nose cone is paper thin, and I cracked mine and had to put a layer of 50g/m2 glass over it, but I needed weight for my slightly heavy tail anyways.

Hang times are around 1 minute for me.

I am now going to try to bag a larger wing for the Mini-Q with 1,15m. I really feel like the fuse can take a bigger wing and am curious as to how it will improve performance.

Cheers!
surfgeorge is offline Find More Posts by surfgeorge
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
great this is the kinda things i was interested about, would like to know how the larger wing works out for you, its not a cheep kit and after 180 views and 2 replys, started to think this was not worth getting, I know this is not a new dlg its been around for a while but i appreciate the feedback...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:16 AM
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
also there is a carbon wing version any advantages to this over the balsa glass wing looks like its 25g heaver im thinking this may be not worth it
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:50 PM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster 1 View Post
great this is the kinda things i was interested about, would like to know how the larger wing works out for you, its not a cheep kit and after 180 views and 2 replys, started to think this was not worth getting, I know this is not a new dlg its been around for a while but i appreciate the feedback...
Hi crashmaster! Just an update about this project! I have finished bagging the wings and elevator, now I justt need to put everything together but it will take until about christmas before I can expect to have the maiden of the enlarged FW Mini. The wing weight should turn out to be about 82...85g compared to 75 g for the original, but with 25% more surface.
I also am planning to significantly enlarge the horizontal stabilizer to about 1,8 sqdm, but maybe I will just give it a try with the original.
I'll report back when I have had some flights!
Cheers, surfgeorge
Last edited by surfgeorge; Dec 12, 2014 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:58 AM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Here are some photos of the new wing in the making...
1,15m wingspan, area 14,8 sqdm, wing sections from the Whirli 6 DIY project on RC-Network, designed by Bjoern Schuermann
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:31 AM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Maiden Flight FW-Mini Plus

Just returned from the maiden flight and have to say I am very happy!
Launch heights have improved a little to 35m (up from 32), and the hang times in calm winter air have improved by about 10...30s (from about 50...1:10 to 1:10...1:30) More testing has to be done, and I have to play with CG and settings, as well as maybe change the elevator to a bigger one. But the fuselage can take the additional wing span and the performance and handling seem very promising!

Cheers! Georg
Old Feb 22, 2015, 02:09 AM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
FW-Mini Extended

A short summary of the past months experience with the FW-Mini with the bagged 1,15m wing.
I have been flying it for a while with the original stabilizers, and it worked very well! Recently I exchanged the horizontal stab with an app. 30% larger bagged one, since calculations suggested that the original was too small. But can't tell much difference. Launching heights are between 35m and 40m, depending on wind and my condition. Yesterday I took both wings to the field for a comparison. It was quite windy, more than I would usually fly in, Estimated 5-10m/s
Lets make it short, the large wing was much better under these conditions. Launched higher, flew better against the wind and the handling was also much better.
The openaltimeter log confirmed the subjective feeling regarding launch height, best with original wing was 35,5, best with larger wing was 39.

To be fair, the original FW-Mini is a blast to fly and performs very well, is robust and easy to transport. But the fuselage can easily take a bigger wing which just brings the Mini closer to a full-size DLG.
Old May 22, 2015, 04:33 AM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
FW-Mini extended V2

In the meantime I have built a second wing with identical wing section and planform, but this time I left the leading edge of the 3 segments straight to make sure the wing section is as precise as possible, and I used 64g/m2 Textreme spread tow carbon for the skin, and some 80g UD carbon strips for the leading edge.

The wing turned out very well and 10g lighter than the glass version.
Took it to a competition and let a top pilot fly it. He launched the Mini to impressive altitudes (guestimated 60m+) and had a blast flying it!

But I think the vertical stabilizer needs changing - the mini wagged it's tail a little bit on the way up during launches.

Bottomline: If you are looking for a mid-sized DLG (that fits into the car with the wing on...) and know how to bag a wing, the FW-Mini fuselage is perfectly capable of handling the 1,15m wing.

Cheers! Georg